Author Topic: down for the count..  (Read 12277 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
down for the count..
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:35:49 AM »
So... I F-ed myself up this last weekend.  I've apparently ruptured a disk in my lower back.  I can't move... I can't walk.. I am out of commission.  I'm trying to keep myself doped up on prescription pain killers to get through.  it just realy sucks cuz I can't do anything but sit on the couch, I can't even get comfortable in bed right now.   I can't work on customs :(, I can't go to school  :-\....  It sucks, i'm going to be missing an entire week of classes I think and this is supposed to be my last semester.  I have 3 of the hardest classes to take all together though and if I don't pass them I'll have to wait around for two more semesters as they are only offered every fall.... I'm extremely worried about being stuck here another year. 

Dawn is getting tired of waiting around on me.... 

so... yeah... just thought I'd wine, moan and groan to anyone who'd listen.  and if anyones gone through something similar, have any suggestions for the pain? 

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: down for the count..
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:54:54 AM »
Man, very sorry to hear that Spudafett.  I can imagine the pain and annoyance you're going through, and I don't envy you for it.  Hope things get better for you.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:30:44 AM »
oh, and the most ironic/anoying part of it all is that all summer i've been working on campus moving boxes of rocks and crap for the geoscience department which is moving to a new building...  so I'd been lifting and working on that crap all summer and had no problems... 

this weekend I go down to the park and took a walk through the creek and slipped on a freaking rock, cought myself from faceplanting in the water and throw my back out. WTF!?!

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 07:02:05 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear about that. :(
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 07:10:20 AM »
Geez, that sucks.  Whine and moan all ya need!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:33:10 AM »
I know how the back thing is. I kinda did the same thing to my back a few years ago and am not dealing with a few bad lower disks too. I was pretty bad last year to say the least. I finally went to a neurologist who did a series of back injections and it made it much better. I am still dealing with a burning sensation all waking hours, but at least I don't feel like I am on fire or have horrible pain now. The injections were about a few thousand a shot, but did help. Probably the first thing you might consider is getting an appointment with one and probably getting an MRI. I spent a whole year or so in agony before doing something and I regret it. I just hate the heck out of doctors though. I sure hope this gets better for you. If you want, start this up in the blog threads and we can check up on you to see how you are doing.  I hate to think anyone is going through that pain I went through. Yours is probably worse too.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 01:06:45 PM »
I feel for you, I had parts of 2 vertabre and disc removed in my lower back in 2000, The surgery was OK, but the discomfort and pain before it sucked, I could hardly do anything. I couldn't even tie my own shoes. When the Dr. said I needed surgery I would have let him do it right there on the desk with a Stanly knife if it were an option.

Do what teh Dr. says, don't push it and get well soon

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:29:45 PM »
That's too bad, Devin. All the strain and heavy lifting I do at work and the worst
Muscle pull I ever suffered was at a Walmart when I was shopping for a gas grill. I went to scoot a box on the top shelf for a better look at it's side and wasn't expecting for it to be as heavy as it was. I pulled like two
Groups of muscle and was crawling for 3 days.

Hope you get better buddy.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 04:22:52 PM »
yeah they had to preaprove an mri for me and they won't be getting me in to do it untill the 8th of next month!  I love how doctors push things so far back.. if it was life threatening I might be dead in two weeks! 

for now I'm just taking it easy and staying on the couch.  this morning I was awoken at 5 am when my darvacet's wore off.... I couldn't get comfortable and had to crash on the couch.  after popping several darvie's I felt good enough to do some customs today though.  still worried about school.

so... the nurse for my doctor called me today cuz I asked them if there was anything else i could do for the pain or help with whatever is wrong and this is what they told me: "take the medicine the doctor gave you and take the pain killers... that's pretty much all you can do!"  lol. 

I'm hoping that by next week i'll feel up to going to class, if not I might have to borrow a wheelchair!   I realy don't want to be stuck at school for two more semesters just to get three more classes out of the way!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »
The only thing I can recall that would give me a little relief was either a cold pack or a heating pad. Wow, I was a little disappointed that your Doc wouldn't want to do the mri thing quick like to make sure you aren't damaging yourself more by trying to move and get on with life. Is there any chance if this happened on campus that one of thier sport's trainers can take a look at you or at least have some pull to get you into an mri quicker?

As far as your classes, I would try to email them and explain the situation or call if you can and they might be a little more sympathetic to your accident. I can remember a few of my profs who could care less about me, but by contacting them you are being professional and they might cut you some slack.

I am glad to hear that you are working on some customs. I think for me the worst thing was I just stewed over the whole pain thing and I became so gun shy that all I could focus on for a few weeks was the pain. Doing something to get your mind off of it is a good thing. I sure hope you get in to get that MRI and can get some relief Devin.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:23:10 AM »
well I pushed myself to get up to class today... it's hard to focus though while on these pain killers.... gah.... 

yeah, i've been waking up at 5 in the morning all week and having to start working on the computer or something else like a custom to get my mind off the pain.

dawn's nicknamed me egor... I walk like a hunchback leaning all to one side to keep the weight off my left side so I can hobbly around. 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 09:16:13 AM »
Glad to hear your giving it a go. Let us know how day one of classes works out!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 08:42:46 PM »
well today sucked...

i'm still hurting... I've been in pain all day but it's more a numbing constont throbing now than the grabbing pulling knock me off my feet shooting pains that it had been.  My toes are still numb though so that worries me.

and if the missery wasn't enough now I've realy screwed up and busted dawn's laptop's screen! :(  All her family pics were on it and the thing was already acting up so she is woried we won't be able to get anything off the drive.  If that wasn't enough I tried to boot up my external hard drive and hook dawn's computer up to the tv to use it as a screen and the whole computer locked up and won't work.... THEN the external hard drive stopped working and won't even turn on... So the whole 30gigs or whatever she's filled of the terabyte hardrive is now an iffy prospect too.... needles to say we've had a very depressed and upset woman in the house today... 

add all of that, with my problems and you get a recipee for some tired, angry people... 

oh... and it didn't help that the boys had so much homework we were up until 9:00 doing it!

did I also mention that dawn works 3rd shift and had two hours sleep today while I was at school? not fun...

hmm.... OH... an MY laptop, I busted it's screen out 6 months ago and we've been using it ONLY as a DVD player for our big screen tv and to watch movies online.  Right now I'm typing on it and it is very difficult to read the itty bitty text on our 72" big screen.....  lol

so... .yeah.... I've got to go to classess tomorrow at like 9 in the morning, find a computer repair shop that can try and get dawn's stuff off her lap-top's hard drive.... perhaps try and sell my laptop.... or get a new screen for it or hers....

I've got to also take the external hard drive to the shop and see if they can figure out what's wrong with it.  Dawn swears she thinks the kids nocked it off the table and the drive's gone bad... I'll be pissed for sure if that's the case....

so... yeah... it's been a helluva week....

anyone want to buy a toshiba laptop that's screen doesn't work?  makes a great dvd player....

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 10:04:58 AM »
Daggone! When it rains it sure pours on you. I hope you get some good answers on all of that today. Man, that stinks not having a screen to go with your computer!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 11:14:19 AM »
My friend, you are having some crappy luck lately.
At least you customs are still rockin strong.