Author Topic: Opinions and Critiques  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Opinions and Critiques
« on: November 19, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »
Hello everybody!  As you all know, I've started a side business creating web sites.  I'm now working on my own site for promotional and sales purposes.  What I need now, is some feedback.  Ya see, I'm having some Artist's Block...I have the building blocks set up, and I need feedback on colors and graphics.  Personally, I'm pretty happy with it so far, but I need outside eyes to tell me if it's on a good track, or if I should scrap and start over.

http://www.newellwebstudios.com

Thanks in advance!

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
Re: Opinions and Critiques
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:08:43 PM »
Not bad, but you may want to change "Creations" to "Portfolio" or "Customer Sites". Then maybe a link to what  you offer or your product page with a mailto link for estimates and such.

I like it though, and it fits the theme of your slogan. =)

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:09:23 AM »
Heh, if I knew how to give you the sort of advice (marketing) you are asking for, I'd already be in business doing it!  :D  Your site looks good from here.  Do you get a commission from folks who sign up w/ Bluehost by clicking on their link on your page?

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 01:44:44 PM »
Indeed I do!  ;)  It's still a rough start, I am working on more of it today.  I kinda liked "Creations" over Customer Pages or Portfolio because it sounded more like an artistic approach, not necessarily a cold standard one.  However, I am always open to suggestion and will play around with it a bit more.  The contact page will be the various ways to contact me, including a form to fill out which will allow them to send me ideas of what they are looking for and which I can address them more personally about what it is they are looking for.

Thanks for the words, guys!  More opinions and critiques are always welcome!

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 02:03:27 PM »
I hate offering critasims about things I can't do, but just from my opinion

The red banner needs depth, maybe a fade or a bevel like the one in your signature. and the letter seems to really stand out, if there is a way to soften the edges of it, as on my screen the curves seems pixilated.

That said I give you alot of credit for ventureing out and doing this as a side business and I wish you the best with it.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »
Thanks Wayne!  I, too, have not been 100% happy with my banner, so I've been reworking it a few times already.  So far, I'm MOST proud of my buttons.  They FINALLY came out how I wanted them (Thanks Hangarbay!), so now I just need to get that banner to flow just as well.  I'll be adding a couple more affiliates to my links page, such as Queensboro where we get our apparel made, and others that will benefit this sort of buisness.

The best part of it all, I only have about $230 tied up in it, between the site hosting and some apparel I had made up for it to advertise when I'm out and about.  If it doesn't work, that's all I'm out.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:06:06 PM »
Ok, I've reworked my banners slightly...let me know which looks better, or even if they suck alltogether and I need to keep trying!

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:13:36 PM »
The background on the top one looks better to me,

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:26:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm REALLY liking that one.  I came upon that bevel style by accident, and ran with it.