Author Topic: Don's Custom Star Wars Figures  (Read 110578 times)

Offline Don

• Captain
Re: Chuckles' Custom Figures
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »
Another simple custom; swapped the head, painted the belt, added the holster, and some mud-weathering paint on the boots. (Made this one before Hasbro decided to make one similar.)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:24:19 AM by Chuckles »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2019, 02:24:06 AM »
All I am seeing is a minus sign for the images. I am guessing the google image embedder didn't work. Could be my home internet too, I have been trying to get back to full speed after three weeks of an outage (at least thats what they are reporting).

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2019, 06:24:46 AM »
All I am seeing is a minus sign for the images. I am guessing the google image embedder didn't work. Could be my home internet too, I have been trying to get back to full speed after three weeks of an outage (at least thats what they are reporting).

Sorry, should be fixed now.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2019, 06:42:22 AM »
And since I'm here; I made this Gonk a couple weeks ago.

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2019, 06:46:32 AM »
Your Gonk rocks.  I like all the detailed pieces and the colors are great.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2019, 02:38:43 PM »
Nice job with these. You have done a great job with the parts combinations to get some unique characters. I really like the Dresselian brothers.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2019, 02:57:10 AM »
Oh yeah, I see em now. They look great. And now a great Gonk too. I like that blue color too. Off to share em all!

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2019, 08:09:37 AM »
Thanks guys, lot's more to come!

Now for something a little different. First a few props (a bunch more on the workbench).

Made those barrels using soda bottle caps like these.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2019, 08:25:43 AM »
And the reason I'm working on props! I've had this idea for years; I want an environment for all these figures. It's not really a Star Wars diorama, but is (obviously) inspired by Star Wars, and Rot Gut Station. I guess it's a scifi dollhouse? It's a work in progress so here's some working pics.

The start point here is an Ikea Kallax shelf like this one.

I left out some of the interior shelf walls giving me larger open areas, I cut arches & doors into the remaining interior walls, and the whole thing was sanded and painted. I've got some plans for detail painting, and greebles, but here's the beginning.

Here's the most current shot. I've got back walls installed on the upper three levels with one more level on the workbench. And I got the LED lighting installed.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2019, 08:28:17 AM »
And here's some pics of the crew working.

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »
Excellent batch of props.  I'm planning a space station diorama, so I know how hard is it to get all those little things that give it the right feel.  And good use of household junk to get there.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2019, 12:58:52 PM »
Excellent batch of props.  I'm planning a space station diorama, so I know how hard is it to get all those little things that give it the right feel.  And good use of household junk to get there.

Thanks man. I'm definitely interested in seeing your space station and greebles; be sure to post when you're ready!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2019, 03:10:20 AM »
Wow, I really, really like how you are turning those shelves into dioramas. I have the area under my basement steps set up the same way, but unfortunately have used it to store my vehicles instead of making dedicated dioramas, maybe this will get me back to my original plan. I really like it.

I also like your props. That moisture vap is great! Off to share these updates.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2019, 05:09:36 AM »
Okay, this might take a little longer...

First off: Welcome to the Yards! I'm glad you share your customs on here now, too! I'm hardly active on Facebook (don't like that place as much)...

Page 1
Great story of your customizing history! I can show you pictures of my first customs (B1 Battle Droids), which looked awful!
Those memories must be priceless, though!
Actually Jabba's cook will probably stay one of my favorites. And I'm glad he's not just a butcher, but also a cook and bartender. He looks excellent from head wrap to his boots! Where is his apron and the hatchet taken from?
I'm glad you could get a second Brock Starsher, recently! Do you work with resin parts at all?
The other two goons look great, too! I really like the colors and the fact that they look perfect even though they're not super-articulated. I'm a big fan of articulation, but think not every figure needs to be super articulated. They look amazing - especially for being two of your oldest customs!
They also remind me a little bit of a Clone Wars episode, I watched a while ago...
I think all the new shapes, colors and parts amaze me the most. I really dig your efficient use of softgoods, sculpting and kit-bashing!

Page 2
That squad of Ewoks just blew me away when I entered page 2! Or should I rather say killer bears?
Love the colors of the feathers and using the tortoiseshell as shield is brilliant! Their other accessories leave no doubt that they're definitely no cute teddy bears to cuddle with...
Again, is that Nippet a repaint of an original figurine or is it a recast?
Those scarfs and capes look great on the other characters! And that picture is one I would've probably never seen if you haven't shared it on here! Is that a shot from the Cantina in Mos Eisley?
Lots of awesome parts and drinks!
I like the crew of mechanics! Actually the Ree-Yees kit-bash looks very similar to a repainted TLC Nikto Gunner I found on a fleamarket a couple years ago...
They seem to like drinking a lot. Cheers!

Page 3
Wow, so many super-articulated Greedo figures! I like all the different jackets and vests for them!
Very cool batch of droids there! I wouldn't have the guts to repaint that TLC WED Treadwell Droid! The metallic dome looks great on it! I like the blue.
Those lizards add even more diversity to your band of customs! And more drinks! Geeeewd.  bbfet

Page 4
That face is very well done! Much respect for this Luke custom! Painting faces correctly is the biggest challenge for me.
I like the addons for the GONK Droid, interesting shapes, more blue - looks very custom!
Now, those barrels/craits made of bottle caps are nothing less than brilliant!
I've collected quite a few of those and wanted to make stools for the Mos Eisley Cantina out of them! I'm going to share the parts I collected in a box tomorrow.
Here's a topic you're more than welcome to add to as well:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10416.15
Great action with your Rhodians there! Your shelf looks phenomenal already! I really like all the accessories, antennas and different shapes going on there! Very exciting!
In fact these backgrounds and store departments/sections strongly remind me of the good old days of playing Knights of the Old Republic!
I don't know if you hint at this videogame here. But your pictures are amazing! The resolution is excellent and the quality you present your projects is very high!

A true pleasure to look at! Aisles of miles of smiles! And some of your customs made me...chuckle!

Thank you for sharing your projects with us on here! I'm most impressed!
Much respect from Germany!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 02:07:02 AM by Darth More »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2019, 02:18:31 PM »
Okay, this might take a little longer...

First off: Welcome to the Yards! I'm glad you share your customs on here now, too! I'm hardly active on Facebook (don't like that place as much)...

Page 1
Great story of your customizing history! I can show you pictures of my first customs (B1 Battle Droids), which looked awful!
Those memories must be priceless, though!
Actually Jabba's cook will probably stay one of my favorites. And I'm glad he's not just a butcher, but also a cook and bartender. He looks excellent from head wrap to his boots! Where is his apron and the hatchet taken from?
I'm glad you could get a second Brock Starsher, recently! Do you work with resin parts at all?
The other two goons look great, too! I really like the colors and the fact that they look perfect even though they're not super-articulated. I'm a big fan of articulation, but think not every figure needs to be super articulated. They look amazing - especially for being two of your oldest customs!
They also remind me a little bit of a Clone Wars episode, I watched a while ago...
I think all the new shapes, colors and parts amaze me the most. I really dig your efficient use of softgoods, sculpting and kit-bashing!

Page 2
That squad of Ewoks just blew me away when I entered page 2! Or should I rather say killer bears?
Love the colors of the feathers and using the tortoiseshell as shield is brilliant! Their other accessories leave no doubt that they're definitely no cute teddy bears to cuddle with...
Again, is that Nippet a repaint of an original figurine or is it a recast?
Those scarfs and capes look great on the other characters! And that picture is one I would've probably never seen if you haven't shared it on here! Is that a shot from the Cantina in Mos Eisley?
Lots of awesome parts and drinks!
I like the crew of mechanics! Actually the Ree-Yees kit-bash looks very similar to a repainted TLC Nikto Gunner I found on a fleamarket a couple years ago...
They seem to like drinking a lot. Cheers!

Page 3
Wow, so many super-articulated Greedo figures! I like all the different jackets and vests for them!
Very cool batch of droids there! I wouldn't have the guts to repaint that TLC WED Treadwell Droid! The metallic dome looks great on it! I like the blue.
Those lizards add even more diversity to your band of customs! And more drinks! Geeeewd.  bbfet

Page 4
That face is very well done! Much respect for this Luke custom! Painting faces correctly is the biggest challenge for me.
I like the addons for the GONK Droid, interesting shapes, more blue - looks very custom!
Now, those barrels/craits made of bottle caps are nothing less than brilliant!
I've collected quite a few of those and wanted to make stools for the Mos Eisley Cantina out of them! I'm going to share the parts I collected in a box tomorrow.
Here's a topic you're more than welcome to add to as well:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10416.15
Great action with your Rhodians there! Your shelf looks phenomenal already! I really like all the accessories, antennas and different shapes going on there! Very exciting!
In fact these backgrounds and store departments/sections strongly remind me of the good old days of playing Knights of the Old Republic!
I don't know if you hint at this videogame here. But your pictures are amazing! The resolution is excellent and the quality you present your projects is very high!

A true pleasure to look at! Aisley of miles of smiles! And some of your customs made me...chuckle!

Thank you for sharing your projects with us on here! I'm most impressed!
Much respect from Germany!

- Philipp

Thanks Philipp, really appreciate the feedback! So let me respond. Jabba's cook is one of my favorites too. Funny thing is that figure was totally unplanned; spare parts floated around the parts bin until one day it just came together. The apron really is the glue that brings that figure together. It's from a Chicken Fried Toys Dime Novel Legends bartender figure. I backed the Kickstarter a few years ago hoping to use the bartender among Jabba's goons, but didn't end up liking the figure so I traded him ff to a local figure-collector friend, but kept the apron. Kinda pricey, but that figure is still available at Small Joes (http://smalljoes.com/cgi-bin/pgen.cgi?Stage=10&CatId=56&Item=DNL-W1-SALBAR).

I have worked with resin parts a little bit (that really bloody head on an ewok spear is a resin copy). Mostly I've used parts made by other people (bought from ebay, or ecrater, FB, or trading). There's one figure I really like, but haven't shared in the 'yards yet with a rad resin head. I'll have to share that soon. I tried casting my own parts about 10 years ago, but I didn't have (didn't know I needed) a pressure system so I didn't have much success with casts. It was really frustrating to spend what felt like a bunch of money of resin and shit, and fail so I never went back to it. There are a number of really great sculptors selling really great heads and parts these days so I'll probably not try making my own any time soon. The baby ewoks are actually Hasbro figures that I repainted. I remember one of those babys came from a local trade. There's a group of local GI Joe fans that meet up once a month to shoot the shit, and buy/sell/trade toys. We set up fold out tables and people lay out boxes and bins of figures and vehicles and figure parts and vehicle parts. Yeah, it's mostly Joe, but I've found a ton of good Star Wars there too. And I've been customizing for so long that I look at every new figure (and every old figure in a bin of figures) as a possible source for parts; I'll buy parts just hoping to use them for something sometime. I should post pics of my bins sometime...

I love modern articulated figures best of all, so I try to mostly use articulated parts for customs, but those old guards were made so long ago they got the parts that were available. I've made a bunch of figures, probably a few dozen, that I liked at the time, but hated later. They've since been given to kids, traded online, or striped for parts. Those two oldest ones I shared are lucky I still think they look good.

The picture I shared at the bottom of page two, of the two Rodians, that's just inside the door at Jabba's palace! If you look in the picture, left side, in the background you can see part of Jabba. One of those dudes is Beedo, but I'm not sure the other has a name.

I've another Treadwell droid on the workbench. I want to make the white version from the movie (pic below). I picked up a complete Treadwell at that Joe meeting a month or two ago for only 10 bucks. Can't pass by a deal like that.

I'll definitely pop over and read through that Materials thread you linked, thanks.Hit me back if you have more questions!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:20:32 PM by Chuckles »