Author Topic: Clonehead's custom vehicle project  (Read 24005 times)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's custom vehicle project
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 06:11:57 PM »
Looking Good Clint. I'm glad to see you working on this again.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 11:17:14 PM »
Yes, it feels good to be working on it again. Well, I got the forward half of the groove in the floor cut and am happy to report that the carrying piece that goes under the gun mount slides from front to back with no problems where the battery door is. I took the carrying piece with the screw and secured it to the gun mount for it's final position. I glued the mushroom shaped piece back onto the gun. Now that this phase of the floor is done, I will start working on the gun. At the gun's furthest forward position, the barrel I am envisioning may be a bit long so I was considering boring a hole where it could partially contract to give us some room when the walker is closed up.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 11:18:56 PM »
one more shot with the gun slid into it's furthest aft position. Other than the barrel work, I plan to repaint the gun and perhaps add some additional details.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 07:47:37 AM »
These pics were just for troubleshooting and visual referance. I haven't done anything more to the walker as of yet.
Originally, It was thought that at least one control panel of some sort perhaps with a chair should go into the gun area, against one of the side walls was my choice. I had chose for this panel, a pack in that came with a clearance Star Trek figure that also came with a chair. We will see how it goes when the walls get up but either I will use this piece or I will modify it, or I will cobble some kind of panel together. The chair could work when the gun is in it's firing position but would be in the way when the gun retracts into it's traveling position. Or we could just have this gunner figure manually aim the thing. You know, for a toy that seemed so huge when I was a child, I am really having some issues with how much room in the troop area is available.

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 08:22:27 AM »
Clint, you may want to check walmart clearance for some of the small scale "G-Force" toys. (Yes the hamster movie)
 I noticed last night that they have a small figure (2.5inch) "Speckles" set that comes with a desk/computer screen set with a fold out seat on a post. I'm not sure if it will fit, but with some modding it may..

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 08:48:49 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Sten. I will keep my eyes open for that one.

Offline DS-61-2

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »
Looking good, I an excited to see how this turns out, Kenner should have made this vehicle would have been cool,

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 05:57:13 PM »
yep, I would have bought one had they produced it. We shall take it one step at a time but am getting excited already. now, I am scaling how long that kenner proto barrel is and verifying the alternate barrel configuration that they used.
  I am already considering adding more details to the main body of the gun even before I think much about painting it.

Offline DS-61-2

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 06:04:30 PM »
Speaking of guns I forgot to show you this I do not know who made this but I woould love to get my hands on a few.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »
that looks cool, Lee. thanks for sharing it. It gives me some ideas.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 07:25:17 PM »
I believe Owen Driscol made that. You can search Owen's Customs to find his page. I saw it a long time ago on the Custom Alliance and hoped one day to make one. It is a great piece for sure.

Offline DS-61-2

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »
Thanks Spry I could not remember who made it I would sure like to get a few I know that it is top quality work.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 08:12:28 PM »
When Tamer and I were gathering pieces for this project, he actually was able to grab several of the guns and sent em to me so that I could choose the best one for my needs. The vintage death star playset gun has a couple of common problems which include, one, the simple compression joint where the moving part of the gun attaches to the gunmount, is usually loose with wear like our example here and will not stay in the level position. I will fix this problem when the time comes. two,the little upper and lower barrels are almost always either damaged or missing, three, the main barrel which is that pointy affair that you see me holding in the first pic, is almost always either warped, chewed up, or missing and has  a cheesy little t-shaped peg that fits into the gun body and is usually very loose. Looking back at the Kenner prototype pic back on page 1, You can see that the proto team has altered the barrel end of the gun just to the right of that vertical rectangle shape that you can see on the left side of my ruler. they have infact cut the gun there and then have installed three new barrels. "the upperand lower barrels may be something else entirely like targeting devices or even exhaust ports for the main barrel. Using known parts of the walker as size referance, I have scaled the drawing at 1/6th of our toy walker's size and have scaled some of the barrel measurements from that pic. The main barrel is approx 5 1/4 inches long from the right side of that vertical rectangle which is where the barrel on the proto pic version starts. this main barrel should have an outside diameter or around 12mm. the lower barrel is approx 2.62 1/2 inches long starting at the right side"as the pic shows" of that vertical bock. Now the pointy stock barrel is almost the same length and attaches to the gun body recessed back into that cylindar to the point where we want to cut it.  Now it is necessary to measure from the right side of that block to the inside of the rear bulkhead when the gun is slid into it's furthest forward position to determine if there is enough room for a 5 1/4 inch main barrel when the gun is in it's stowed position. What I was afraid of is that we would be short of room and that is what happened. from the block to the bulkhead measures 4 3/8 inches. Since i anticipated this and since i want to maintain an appearance that is as close to possible as the prototype gun, my plan is to allow the barrel to travel or recess back into the body of the gun, either for stowage of the gun or for some real howitzer recoil action. My plan is to set the barrel's stowed position at 4inches past the block to allow a bit of room from the rear bulkhead and give us a little play if I have the furthest forward position of the gun to far forward to allow for the future built front bulkhead. In the firing position, the barrel is slid out to it's opertion length of 5 1/4 inches past the block.lateral straightness of the oscilating barrel can be maintained by cutting the forward hole in the right place at the right diameter and then possibly by fashoning some kind of lateral bearing sleeve in the interior of the gun accessable from underneith the middle in front of the hinge mount assembly. the pegged hinge is set low enough that extra length required to hit the bearing sleeve will easily clear and pass through above. Now to limit and secure the in and out movement of the barrel, I figure that a thin channel with down pointed slots at either end of the 1 1/4 worth of barrel travel in the body of the gun would allow a small wire stop drilled into the side of the barrel at the right place to limit the barrel position at either end and allow it to be moved by twisting the barrel till the pin hits the horizontal groove and then sliding forward or back to the alternate position and then twisting the barrel down to lock into position. I believe that it will work fine but may be a booger to get into place. Now you know why I wanted to work  on the gun part of this project first. Here lies several wrinkles that needed to be ironed out to make the thing  work.

back to the subject of the guns. Although I have no more chair mounts, I could utilize one of those extra guns to set up a scene like the one that  Lee showed us. Scratchbuilding a mount for the gun might not be too hard.

Enough darn typing. here are some pics.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 08:14:25 PM »
Two more shots.In the last one you can see where I would find the room to mount a rear lateral bearing sleeve for the traveling barrel from the bottom of the gun body.

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 08:36:30 PM »
looks like it's base is made from a GI Joe FLAKE cannon.. Ideas burning through my mind now!!

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com