Author Topic: Clonehead's custom vehicle project  (Read 24007 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Clonehead's custom vehicle project
« on: October 22, 2009, 12:07:06 PM »
here is the concept: I had mentioned to Tamer some time ago that I wanted to make an ATIC "all terrain ion cannon" like as shown from this kenner proto of an unproduced toy from the early 80s.

The fodder for this project was to be an atat walker and the cannon from the old vintage death star playset. The barrel of the cannon on the proto looks different but the body of the gun looks about the same.

To make the beast, I found an old chair mount from that gun and Tamer bought and sent me several partial guns found on ebay and his first walker. "he has several but this is his first so it must be special"

I barely started on this project back in May and then got busy with work and put it on the back burner as Tamer had told me that I could take as long as I wanted. Since I am layed off now, I figure I could start working on it again and If I get done early enough, it could qualify as my entry into the military ground vehicle competition.

Most of the beginning of this project is chronicled around page 50 of what is now my custom figures thread.

I started by making a couple of sketches just to get a visual feel for the project.
I knew that their would be some size and positioning issues with the gun and wanted to try to work em out in my head.

After some discussion, I had decided to alter the project a bit to include the sides and back of the walker that could close up to look like a normal walker and protect the crew or open out to reveal the ion cannnon when the walker had reached its firing position on the field of battle. I don't yet have a drawing depicting this as such but have it visualized in my head.  To allow for stowage of the gun while the walker is in it's closed up configuration, I had the idea that the gun could ride a rail or recessed groove in the floor of the troop compartment and be slid forward in the walkers body to allow the barrel to clear the back and allow for closing up of the beast.
   As shown by these pictures, the gunner's chair on the gun mount was too large to allow for the gun to fit properly into the troop compartment and allow the gun to rotate. The t-handle for the control of the walker's head is also in the way for the slide forward feature that I plan to implement. Tamer has told me that I may gut the beast to my fancy so I will cut it out of the way. I will make a bulkhead there, at the front end of the troop compartment with some kind of door detail. If there's room, I plan to mount a control panel or two twards the front on one side of the troop compartment with standing or sitting positions for a fire control person to track and repel targets from and perhaps to control the hydhrolic pumps with. Yes, I also plan on fabbing some articulated simulated hydrolic pumps, rams, and attachments which will move with the side and back panels of the beast that fold down or up to close up the walker. I d

My interest is growing once again to work on this project. I had meant to enter it in the military ground vehicle but have withdrawn to give me more time to get this, my first star wars custom vehicle, not including repaints.

I posted that other pic, spud, but it's not coming through.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:23:55 PM by Clonehead »

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Re: Clonehead's custom vehicle project
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 05:55:17 PM »
This is looking tres abiciouso mi amigo! I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the WIP images as this looks moi moi delicioso!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »
A daunting project, to be sure.  However, if anyone here can pull it off, you can Clint!  I hope you post daily (or however often you work on it!) shots, this is going to be a VERY interesting project!

Offline DS-61-2

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 07:43:35 AM »
Back when Kenner ruled the vehicles they came up with were so amazing, LOVE the mini-rigs now Hasblow seem to have no imagination at all. I cant wait to see this project come to light Clint you are the man for the job. at pt

Offline JTrooper

• Master Toy Maker
  • Colonel
  • Mater Toy Maker
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 08:45:44 AM »
That was brave to cut up the AT_AT awesome job love the canon

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 01:00:04 PM »
Back when Kenner ruled the vehicles they came up with were so amazing, LOVE the mini-rigs now Hasblow seem to have no imagination at all. I cant wait to see this project come to light Clint you are the man for the job. at pt

back then kenner had people designing toys that could fit in with the star wars universe...  hasblow thinks the oposite, they only want to design toys that are cannon...

kenner:
toys that fit into the genre

hasbro:
Genre items that can be converted into toys

thus the creativity gap..... 

If they would start thinking outside of the cannon constraining box then we might see some cool new things...

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 07:01:37 PM »
yeah, cobra mountain, aka genosis, really drove that home for me.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 08:14:16 PM »
I'm not sure I'm following you on the cobra mountain and geonosis conection simon... do you know something I don't know?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 04:12:30 PM »
Believe it or not, I actually worked on this project today. There are several different problems that I will have to tackle in this project but I wanted to start with how the gun mounts to the walkers troop carrier compartment floor. I have completly dissassembled the walker and you see here that floor section. As mentioned before, Tamer wants his gun laden walker to be able to close back up and look like a normal walker when the gun is not in use. my idea was that when in the firing position, the gun should be more twards the middle aft of the vehicle like the prototype shows but when it's time to stow the gun and close up the shell, the gun should slide forward to allow it to fit into the closed up compartment. "understand that I still have some work to do to the gun as far as scratchbuilding a barrel that looks more like the howitzer type barrel as on the prototype. Also, to make some room, I have shortened the rear of the gun by removing the long nipple on the backside of the mushroom shaped piece and removing part of the frame work supporting the mushroom piece. The mushroom shaped piece is not on the gun in these shots but will be mounted on the gun's back.
  As far as the gun mount being able to slide forward on the floor. I had modified the gun mount by removing the chair that was mounted to oneside as there just wasn't room for it. I figured that If I were to cut a channel in the floor from one point in the gun's travel to the other, I could find something that would fit in the underside of the gun mount and then drive a woodscrew into it. The head of the screw would be under the floor and would not only travel along the channel but would allow the gun mount to rotate from side to side also. I used the gun and mount to visually check for room at either end and decide where I wanted to end either end of this channel. The forward stopping point is more critical as I am going to fab a bulkhead with a door right behind where the walker's head's mounting point is. And that's after I cut the head's t-handle off to make the room that I need. I had removed the head and wiring prior to these shots.  After I figured out the gun's two points of travel where the channel will be, I had to cut off 3 foot pegs in the floor and the one screw receiving nipple that allows the floor to be screwed down to the walkers chassis. We will figure out another way to secure it when the time comes. Where either end  of the channel was to be, I measured accross and found the center of the floor and then measured on either side of the center to allow for the width of the woodscrew's shank. Roughly 4 mm. I used a straight edge to connect the points and then it was time to cut. Under the floor, there was a mount for the walker's wiring that had to go plus there was a copper tab that served as one of  the contacts in the battery box that was held to the floors underside with a rivit that had to go.

Using my razorsaw, I started with the battery door part of the channel and got through it alright although the larger sized floor section should be easier to hold onto while cutting. My plan is to trim out either side of the floors channel with possibly some sheet styrine strips to neaten it up some. After i get the rest of thechannel cut, I will mount the under piece to the gun mount and then start working on mods to the gun.

In this last shot, you can see the bottom side of the gunmount and the insert with the screw head that will be contained my the channel.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 04:13:52 PM »
more pics

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »
One more shot with the gun in it's aft most position as now directed by the channel.

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »
Looks pretty good Clint.  I can see the similarity between your work and the picture at the top of the page.
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 05:16:56 PM »
Clint (may I call you Clint?),

This is going to be an awesome project, if your custom figures are anything to go by. I'll be keeping an eye on this post as I really want to see how this beast looks completed.

Jules

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 05:23:48 PM »
I'm not sure I'm following you on the cobra mountain and geonosis conection simon... do you know something I don't know?

the cobra mountain playset was a repaint/recast of the genosian battle arena, both from Big H!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 05:26:26 PM »
thanks buddy. I am starting to get excited about this project again. Being as this is going to be Tamer's beast, I have to woner if he will want the incredible weathering job that you just showed us on your Walker. I have alot of fabrication to do before we get to that point. I did just get the rest of the channel cut and have refined the channel mount so that it fits better into the gun mount.Next, I will secure it and start working on the gun again.

Yes, Jules. please call me clint. the Veers and Gunner figs came into existence to be crew members for this vehicle, as  is that atat driver that I sent Tamer last winter.