Author Topic: Boryla Sector, Outlands Station - Admin Office  (Read 52332 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: Boryla Sector, Outlands Station - Admin Office
« Reply #330 on: August 30, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
Awrighty - I've got my onsite ("real") interview tomorrow!  It took awhile, because they had trouble getting ahold of me to tell me they couldn't get ahold of my boss.  THEN the girl handling things was out of the office for several days.  So, finally, everything fell together and I go in tomorrow morning and we'll see what shakes out from there.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #331 on: August 30, 2011, 09:40:49 PM »
I've got a good feeling about this.
Being with the company for 15 years now, it's hard to imagine what kind of trouble people have to go through in order to secure a new job...
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #332 on: August 30, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
I wish you luck Doc.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #333 on: August 31, 2011, 05:46:25 AM »
Thanks guys - interview scheduled in just over 2 hrs.  Final prep-time and then on the road.  Will check in with an update later.

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #334 on: August 31, 2011, 06:45:46 PM »
Good luck, Doc. 
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #335 on: September 01, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »
I spent 3 hours round-trip driving for one hour of waiting and an interview that ended with a "Thanks for your interest - we'll be in touch!"  Well, as one of my buddies said, at least they didn't say "sorry, we aren't interested"!

I really seriously hope they don't tell me I'm over-qualified...

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #336 on: September 01, 2011, 04:35:37 PM »

Wouldn't that be a good thing, though?  You could argue you're the perfect one for the job, if that's the case.
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Spookymufu

« Reply #337 on: September 01, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »

Wouldn't that be a good thing, though?  You could argue you're the perfect one for the job, if that's the case.

being told your "over qualified  means "we will never pay you what you think you're worth and you will end up quitting on us after we spend all the time and money to train you, it isnt worth it to us"....it's a bad thing

Good luck Doc, I lit a candle for both of us and today I got hired, mine isnt any real career or anything but I have high hopes for you as well!!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #338 on: September 08, 2011, 01:51:15 PM »
Well, I got a letter yesterday from the plywood mill wherein they thanked me for my interest and stated they had decided to not offer me any employment.  Boiled down - "We don't want a trained safety guy running around on the production floor, making us live up to our safety creedos."  I figured that for the outcome when I saw their safety board the day of the interview - "21 days since our last reportable accident."  I have a friend working as a QC Inspector for Baker-Hughes (MAJOR name in oilfield tools) and their last TWO QUARTERS were accident-free.  That's a bit of a difference...

So the search continues.  My writing projects continue to be well-received, so perhaps I really should stop screwing around and start treating my writing like a job and put in some serious hours on it.  Lord knows I have enough projects to keep things moving...

Sorry I haven't been around too much of late.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #339 on: September 08, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »
Sorry to hear that didn't pan out Michael. Yes, your writing is very good, take it seriously and put some more time into it. Good luck my friend.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #340 on: September 08, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »
Well that just stinks Doc.

Glad to hear your going to be writing more though. I hope I get to read some more Fixer stories!

Spookymufu

« Reply #341 on: September 08, 2011, 03:39:57 PM »
sounds like a job that would irritate and frustrate you daily..........I hope you find something you like, and if you have to move here to Texas, then thats okay too ;)

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #342 on: September 08, 2011, 06:30:45 PM »
Fixer is most assuredly one of the highest priorities in my writing projects.  In fact, with November - and NaNoWriMo - just around the corner, I'm starting to think about another run at a Fixer project.

Spook, if I got a good job offer in TX, we'd move to TX, no questions.  :D

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #343 on: November 05, 2011, 08:00:44 PM »
Well, I just saw an exchange between my two oldest children wherein I thought the second-oldest was going to slap the oldest across the face.  My dilemma?  Should I try to get to the oldest *first* to slap her myself.  Kinda funny - that's the first time I've seen him hold his ground and bow up at his big sister and flat out say "SHUT UP and let me finish what I'm trying to say and THEN tell me I'm wrong!"  You let a boy turn 18 and he thinks he can tell people how to interact with him.  ;)

Just wanted to also give my friends here a bit of a run-down on what is happening here.  I'm still unemployed.  I keep sending in resumes to places that are "hiring immediately" in my field or who "need people desperately who are willing to work" - and I even get interviews, TWO interviews in one case - but I keep getting "we've already filled that position," "we've decided to hire one of the other applicants," or even "the project manager said we aren't hiring anyone until after the first of the year."  I've worked 5 weeks in the last 13 months.  Thanks to our govt's mixed messages being sent to the oil/gas industry, the places I could most easily go to work are in a holding pattern and the area where I live (Louisiana) is suffering, as offshore oil is one of our primary industries.  So I keep sending out resumes and hoping.

Some of you *might* remember that last year my dad had a stroke on Labor Day.  He did fine afterward, barring some issues with his right side and it feeling like it was more or less swaddled in cotton.  Well, a couple of months ago, he had another episode that was fairly severe and left him with more problems that were gradually getting worse.  After losing his temper with the folks at the VA hospital, a local hospital figured out the problem.

Brain tumor.

So, diddled around and made an appt with Mayo Clinic to do surgery in Dec.  Then, over the span of about a week, his motor skills began dropping and the right side of his face became almost totally nonresponsive.  He is on his way to Cedar-Sinai in Los Angeles right now for a consult/clinic appt with the dr. there next week.  Prayers, positive vibes, etc for him would be appreciated.

Economic situation around us is getting so thin, I'm starting to wonder if I should start shopping out my boxed SW vehicles on ebay.  But I'm not sure anyone else has the disposable funds to buy the few goodies I have.   :P

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #344 on: November 05, 2011, 10:31:19 PM »
Damn Doc, you have had a rough time of it. It seems that things are slowly getting better around here. Some jobs are springing up and people seem a bit more apt to spend money. True, it looked as if I would make 15-20k less than last year but we just had a huge job spring up that could change that to 10k less than last year. we shall see.