Author Topic: Boryla Sector, Outlands Station - Admin Office  (Read 52319 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: Boryla Sector, Outlands Station - Admin Office
« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2011, 07:48:14 AM »
I have to keep my molds covered as they cure, else I end up with dead bugs stuck in the HSIII the next morning.   ::) Thus the presence of that inverted storage box.  I need to move all my gun-cleaning gear and the heavy equipment (55# anvil, bench vise) over into one of my trailers so I have more walking room - but it is SO much better than it was last week!  And I see I failed to get a shot of the shelves by the door...

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #286 on: March 18, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »
Spent a good 8 hours away from home yesterday, squeezing in a desperation-run to another Hobby Lobby.  I picked up THREE BOXES of HSIII.  That was all they had.  ;D  Now, don't spaz that I made an 8-hr round trip just to get mold-making supplies.  My lovely (& long-suffering) wife (as well as two of the daughters) participates in a ladies' barbershop chorus.  Thursday night is their regular practice night, just about an hour away.  The HL is 30 minutes east from the practice site.  So.  She also had some chorus business to attend to, being the treasurer, so we had to be there during banking hours.  We also had some personal shopping and supper to tend to - so you can see the time investment mounting.  ;)  As it was, the kids and I made the 30-minute dash over to Hobby Lobby and Office Depot during chorus rehearsal to get the goods - which they had been kind enough to pull for me and hold at the registers.

So it was 11pm by the time we got in last night.  Means the video I had been shooting yesterday got put on hold.

But it also means I have plenty of HSIII to make molds of that box once I finish it!  (and the cargo-cube that floated, and the two R2 domes that need side 2 poured, and the hollow ammo can that needs to be molded up, and ... you get the idea.  I'll be out of HSIII in no time!)

Ok, back to Production Platform 3 for more video and box-making!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #287 on: March 30, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »
Dear lord...

In the span of the next few days, I have to:

- reshoot my son for the cover of an upcoming Pathfinder RPG product
- shoot Keke and Lonnie's customs for KRR
- finish my mini-rig contest entry
- work on several molds, both making new ones and casting from existing ones
- pursue a "feasibility study" on a new sci-fi RPG product or possibly entire line, covering SEVERAL products

Good thing I'm laid off and not looking at a call-back date any time soon!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #288 on: March 31, 2011, 04:04:54 AM »
Whoa Doc, you have your hands full!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2011, 04:58:03 AM »
Now that's a busy schedule .

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2011, 07:52:16 AM »
I guess it is better than being bored stupid...  ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #291 on: March 31, 2011, 08:30:54 AM »
I guess it is better than being bored stupid...  ;D

I would love to have just  a day like that to be honest.

I get your point though, a day is good, a lifetime is not. Sounds like you have all kind of irons in the fire. It makes life interesting. How do you like your resin pressure cooker?

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #292 on: March 31, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
I'll get back to you on the pressure-pot deal...  there's a story there!

We're in the middle of Brendan's photo-shoot right now, hoping to set up the girls' customs next and get that knocked out tonight, too!

Oh, and FedEx delivered a HUGE box from Alumilite today!  A 2 GALLON kit of resin plus a flexible resin I plan to try for making belts, headwraps, etc.  More on that later.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #293 on: April 01, 2011, 05:02:36 AM »
Now I am curious about that flexible stuff. Do keep us updated, doc.
Wanting to hear the pressure pot story also.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2011, 05:08:57 AM »
Man, when will they sell this stuff at Sam's Club or Cosco? You could get a 50 gal drum for $50! Keep us posted Doc and I can't wait to see you try something with the flexable resin.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #295 on: April 01, 2011, 06:39:11 AM »
*yawn*

Mornin, folks.  Got the potential cover-pics shot and emailed off to the publisher last night.  We had to reshoot with as plain a background as possible so they could composite in an appropriate background if they used it.  Got some good pics uploaded:
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u239/LosLejanos/chrono%20cover-shoot/

The outside pics in the first album were our first "this is what we can do" shots.  Check out the pics in the sub-album for our second run at it after we got feedback from the publisher.

So this pressure-pot story.

As you (should) know, Ive made a couple of molds of the "iconic box" that seems to be everywhere in the SW movies.  If you've watched Clint's vid's you know how I do it - affix the master to the bottom of the mold box, mix up the HSIII, pour it in, let it cure.  Sometimes this results in air-bubbles of varying sizes.  Well, the molds from the "iconic box" had them.  LOTS of them.  But they were tiny.  I mean so tiny they didn't even show up during my normal non-pressurized casting.  Well, I wanted to test out the pressure-pot and had the box molds handy.  I mixed up my resin, poured it into the waiting molds, and discovered...

Well, first I discovered the bottom of the pot was concave.  grrr.  Bec has since provided me with the floor from a hot-bath canner that is small enough to fit into the pot and will give me a flat, even surface to hold molds.

Then I discovered the pot has to have air flowing to it constantly.  I *thought* it would take the air and then HOLD PRESSURE once I cut off the air-supply.  Perhaps I just don't have the lid fastened down quite right - experiments will follow.  So as it was, I kept the compressor running and it held the pot steady at 30psi.  Considering the compressor will supply 100psi and I had the valve on the compressor WIDE OPEN, this is a bad thing.  It should have held the resin steady at 80psi cutting the air supply off!  Or that's my understanding, anyway.

So I let the molds sit and cure for 15 minutes or so.  Bled off air pressure on the pot and the air-tank both.  Opened the pot up and removed the molds.  Demolded.

The R2 head mold had either been put together crooked or the tilt had caused the two halves of the mold to slide apart.  Either way, it came out imperfect - lopsided.  BUT the resin *had* been pushed into the detail recesses as intended.  So - learned I need a flat surface in the pot and verified my vent modifications to the master worked.  Overall success there.

(continued)

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2011, 06:49:45 AM »
On to the "iconic boxes."  At the time, they were being solid-cast - just fill in the open cavity with resin and let cure.  (I'm working on a way to make them hollow.  Stay tuned.)  Remember the heretofore unknown air-bubbles in the molds?  I discovered them as I demolded the two boxes.  Yeah... the pressure pushed the resin into HUNDREDS of friggin TINY cavities I didn't realize existed!  The boxes are...hairy.  Covered in (ok, not hundreds) dozens of very small - but highly visible - hair-like extrusions of resin!  It was - for a brief moment - disheartening, then it became hysterical!

Honestly, the boxes don't need to be pressure-molded.  They turn out great with the "dump-n-cure" method.  I pulled boxes from both molds again *after* the "hair-box" fiasco and they both perform fine - which is encouraging.

Ideally, I would use a vacuum chamber and pump to de-gas the HSIII as it cures to remove the air bubbles completely.  You can also put the HSIII into the pressure pot to compress the bubbles as it cures.  So, another round of experiments are in order with some new molds.  Prolly next week.  ;)  Y'know - *after* the mini-rig entry is posted.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
Oh, Lordie!  My children have shanghaied my camera tripod and mom's camera in order to create their own movies today...

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
Well, if you watched last week's Kessel Run Review, you saw the outcome of the girls' photo-shoot.  What you haven't seen is Brendan's.  Have a look:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=90178

Not only did they use him on the cover, but also several pics scattered throughout the interior of the product!  Talk about *stoked*!!  He and I are working on building up a list of "professional credits" in the gaming industry, and this product is "line 2" for both of us.  (for our first submissions, check out "Infinite Horizons, issue 1" (a free e-zine) at http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=88852)

The girls were very excited to see Laneena on this week's KRR.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #299 on: April 09, 2011, 09:23:32 AM »
That is so awesome Doc! That son of yours is ripped! Great cover shot, congrats!