Author Topic: What are you reading now?  (Read 41236 times)

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
Re: What are you reading now?
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2009, 08:17:46 PM »
Imperial Commando 501st... got it, read it... loved it.
Great book....
Also picked up book 13 of a little series called "The Wheel of Time" by a guy named Robert Jordan.
Started reading the series in 1998, and they are really big books.... Like unabridged version of The Stand big or Shogun-Taipan-King Rat big... 700+pages each average...
New book is called The Gathering Storm and it has a co author since Jordan died in like 2007....
Great series, started out as a planned 8 book series that went crazy, and he died after book 12 but had it all planned out with notes and plotlines and all, but he never got to finish the penning.
His last request was for someone to finish the series... a guy named Brandon Sanderson is finishing it.
Pretty near the same style, and good so far... only 155 pages in and I am pleased so far.
But it has averaged a year or more between books, and there are 2 more books before its all done.
I actually started reading Jordan books when he wrote a few Conan the Barbarian novels.
I always liked the Conan and Tarzan series books... lots of action and quick paced easy reading for me...

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2009, 08:20:48 AM »
Sanderson is an insanely GOOD author!  I just finished his Hero Of Ages a few days ago, ending his "Mistborn" trilogy.  Really good fantasy.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »
I love the Wheel of Time series and thought it was over. If I recall this is a story about a guy majic user name Rand who is part of a prophecy and supposedly going crazy because guys using majic turn crazy so he is supposed to cleanse saidin? Something like that. Saw it in wally world and almost bought it, but said how can this be he's dead! Glad it will all be finished though. Glad to hear it is similar to Jordan's style too.

Still need to get Commando. I keep hinting to my wife as my Bday is Monday, but who knows!

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2010, 08:07:12 PM »
I picked up the new Darth Bane book Dynasty of Evil on Friday evening. I got the absolute last copy they had, and at a nice discount.
I finished reading it on monday evening. I liked it.... didnt really love it. It was a good read and might even be open for another book...

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »
I've read the first 2 Darth Bane books and liked them.  I'm looking forward to the 3rd one, but waiting for it to come out on paperback.

I'm on the 3rd Republic Commando book, True Colors, and am absolutely HOOKED on these characters and storyline!  Every page makes me angrier and angrier with Lucas for pissing Karen Travis off so she wouldn't complete the saga.

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
I reread all of the RC novels over christmas... and it just upset me even more when I finished the Imp Commando 501st....
You will understand after you finish reading them all...

Offline JonCC-1004

• Ensign
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
Republic Commando series by KT going to realyy miss these books!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2010, 11:34:56 AM »
I'm going to have to start a new book, and I think I'll go to the Library and pick up the latest in the Darth Bane trilogy.

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2010, 05:47:07 PM »
Yesterday, I went out and bought, in my opinion, the best Star Wars books I have ever read.  The book is the finale to Darth Bane series, titled Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil.  I read all day and night through the fluctuating plotline of the intense legacies that were foretold beneath the cover, so to speak.  Overall it was a great book, but I am confused if Darth Bane won in the end or Darth Zannah.  If you've read the book, you know what I mean, but overall, it was a great read and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT, that is if you've read the first two.
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2010, 05:52:08 PM »
That is the next book I have in mind to read.  I have really enjoyed the Darth Bane series so far, and have been waiting for the Dynasty of Evil to come to paperback.  The author, Drew Karpyshyn, is also the writer of the Mass Effect video games, which is cool.

I just finished Dark Tide I the other night, and plan on starting on Dark Tide II tonight.  I'm trying to catch up with the future of Star Wars, and have a LONG way to go.  I had a real hard time getting into it at the beginning because I had just completed the Republic Commando series, and am STILL so enthralled with that whole legacy.  However, the development of the Solo kids have made these books more interesting.  I really want to get caught up quickly!  Too bad there's not a Cliff's Notes for these! LOL!

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2010, 06:06:48 PM »
I picked up the SW Legacy Graphic Novel volumes 7 and 8 this weekend and read them. Nice additions to the storyline and I am happy to have finally gotten caught up with this series now.
I agree with the Darth Bane trilogy, great books and I have reread them 3 times now already. There is a Darkhorse comics 4 issue miniseries called Jedi VS Sith or some such, that covers the jedi/sith war where Bane tricks the sith into using the thought bomb and killing everyone, and it also has the meeting of Bane and Zannah at the end of the series.
I still reread all the NJO books I have here. Half of them are in Germany.
Really there arent many SW novels I havent read and re- read or that I dont own.
although there were a few that are hard to read or enjoy. Splinter in a minds eye comes to mind. And a few of the Tales from series stories...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2010, 11:24:56 AM »
I am reading the Hobbit right now for I don't know how many times before. My little girl is enjoying hearing parts of it. I am waiting to get a new John Ringo book and saw Tom Krautman has an amazon trilogy called cobra that I might try. Eight bucks for three books aint too bad of a deal.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2010, 12:00:56 PM »
I'm on the last Twilight book now and I talked the wifey into reading the Dark Tower saga. She is in book two, now.

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »
I'm reading Star Wars Crosscurrent and book 8 of the Interview with the vampire series.

Offline jay

• Cadet
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2010, 10:48:07 AM »
ive just read darth bane rule of two  . and order 66 .