Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 158461 times)

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: mando blacksmith)
« Reply #1200 on: May 12, 2010, 08:22:48 PM »
Very cool.  I really dig the weathered look on that biker clone.  I've seen that on a lot of figures.  How do you guys do that?  I haven't painted more than just a few splashes of colors on trooper armor. 

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #1201 on: May 13, 2010, 05:46:22 AM »
Very cool.  I really dig the weathered look on that biker clone.  I've seen that on a lot of figures.  How do you guys do that?  I haven't painted more than just a few splashes of colors on trooper armor. 

which biker scout figure are you talking about?  I'm assuming you mean the desert figure.  Usually to do some basic weathering I'll use a little bit of flat black on my brush and brush off most of the wet paint off the brush onto a piece of paper untill it's just barely marking anything, then brush it lightly over the bits of the figure that I want to weather.  This technique is usually refered to as "dry brushing" because the paint left on the brush is practically dry.

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #1202 on: May 13, 2010, 05:57:41 AM »
Yes, I meant the desert figure.  And thanks for the quick weathering lesson.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #1203 on: May 13, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »
heres a quick non-star wars custom I thought you guys might appreciate.  It's a joe custom:

Cobra P.E.T.

Cobra's BAT program allowed for mass produced expendable soldiers... but Cobra Commander wanted something more. He felt that intimidation was Cobra's tool for world domination. Cobra is famous for war propoganda and during C.Commander's speaches P.E.T. Bat's were used to create a more intimidating atmoshpere.
Propoganda Enhancement Troopers were C.C's pet project. Built with the most intimadating weoponry, a ceromonial long sword, and distinctive Cobra colors the P.E.T's made for an impressive show...

unfourtunately most PET's were just that, all for show. Their programing was for demonstrations and not battle. Their mini-cannon was built to fire blanks during celebrations, not gun down joes....

ultimately the PET bat's were proof that the snake that is cobra is all rattle and no bite...

wip shots:

finished:

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #1204 on: May 13, 2010, 06:56:41 PM »
really nice man!

Offline Irish Ninja 97

• The author of Gamma Squad and Revenge!
  • Colonel
  • Meatbags
« Reply #1205 on: May 15, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
                                                       Cool!
As do I. It is our lot in life, Master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer us up?
                                                                           -HK-47

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #1206 on: May 15, 2010, 07:22:51 PM »
I love that head mix, spud!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #1207 on: May 15, 2010, 07:30:06 PM »
I love that head mix, spud!

thought you might like that clint.  It's the faceplate off of a failed cast of the at-at driver's helmet...

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #1208 on: May 15, 2010, 07:40:20 PM »
I thought so. That's what those failed casts are great for. I still have some failed casts to send to you, as I recall, as well as some mando parts plus the master parts that you sent me.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #1209 on: May 16, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »
I thought so. That's what those failed casts are great for. I still have some failed casts to send to you, as I recall, as well as some mando parts plus the master parts that you sent me.

honestly I'd forgotten all about those...

I love using the failed casts for stuff like this.  I've noticed though that you have to cut the plastic pretty quickly before it completely hardens to make it usefull.  The stuff I'm using get's realy brittle and very dificult to cut wiht an exacto knife once it's set for a few days.  However using a dremel or sandpaper on it after it sets up is alot easier than when it first comes out of the mold...

I plan on recasting this head and making a mold of the modification and making a solid cast replica.  I'm a little worried about detail loss in the faceplate but figure'd I'd give it a shot.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #1210 on: May 16, 2010, 12:44:16 PM »
Spuda, that's such a mad mix of parts, plus it works really well! I have always liked your style, and this is typical Spuda material! Awesome!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #1211 on: May 16, 2010, 04:56:16 PM »
Spuda, that's such a mad mix of parts, plus it works really well! I have always liked your style, and this is typical Spuda material! Awesome!

there is a reason it is such a crazy mix of parts...  This was part of a challenge on another board.  A board member sent me a package of joe fodder, enough pieces to make 3 complete figures... the catch was that they were  basically completely random miss-matched parts that most people wouldn't be able to put together... making it a definate challenge.  If I'd had my way for this figure originally I'd have probably made it with very different parts.  I realy liked being pushed to the limit of creating something where I was so limited.  It gave me some interesting ideas and solutions to problems I would normally just work around instead of fixing! lol

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #1212 on: June 24, 2010, 01:14:22 AM »
finally got some free time to do another star wars figure.  This is one I wanted to do as soon as I saw the pre-release photos of the hasbro figure. 

super articulated shaak-ti
original figure:

custom:

recipe:
tfu shaak-ti:
head/arms/upper torso/lower feet

25th aniv. scarlett gi-joe:
lower torso/upper legs

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: TFU shaak-ti)
« Reply #1213 on: June 24, 2010, 03:20:32 AM »
Spuda, now that I can put things on the Front Page, you've been double Wammy'd by the Hangarbay!!!

Really clever custom, I am constantly amazed at how you merge these two figure types together and this is one of my favourites...

Offline darth neo

• Lieutenant
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: TFU shaak-ti)
« Reply #1214 on: June 24, 2010, 04:08:26 AM »
ohh yeaaa