Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 158456 times)

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: Mandalore the Indomitable)
« Reply #1020 on: February 12, 2010, 05:13:13 PM »
Holy crap that is amazing.
That looks so freaking good.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #1021 on: February 12, 2010, 05:48:33 PM »
Spuda, you are really coming into your own. Just amazing. You will see it on our fp tomorrow.

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #1022 on: February 12, 2010, 07:00:47 PM »
Cool that custom looks awesome
 :) :)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #1023 on: February 12, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
Stellar Job,

That turned out great, I am envious, I wouldn't mind one of these in my collection.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #1024 on: February 12, 2010, 07:56:48 PM »
Those knee pads hugely transformed the legs,which looked good on their own, but now really stand out. The scratch head sculpt is awesome as well.  You captured that image VERY well!  Excellent job!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #1025 on: February 12, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
Those knee pads hugely transformed the legs,which looked good on their own, but now really stand out. The scratch head sculpt is awesome as well.  You captured that image VERY well!  Excellent job!

Thanks, I wondered if anyone would notice the knee's.  I actually couldn't come up with anything good for them so while I was sculpting the head I used the extra apoxi sculpt to fashion two knee pads on the table top, once it was hardened I popped it off the table top and added the stretch cord to them and put them on the figure.

Thanks for everyone's comments.  I think it turned out ok... I am thinking about puting a little more detail into the head sculpt.  The plain grey skin is how the Taung are described but I just don't like how "plain" he looks. Not to mention I don't think he is menacing enough.

I am trying to come up with a good material to make the hair that you see pulled back in the image of the tuang head I used for reference...  I just don't know what to use.  I thought about doll's hair but I'm at a loss for how to attach it and it still look good. 

Stellar Job,
 That turned out great, I am envious, I wouldn't mind one of these in my collection.

Pm me and I might work something out with you ;).   I plan on casting the head sculpt and making a cast resin duplicate of it... so I should be able to replicate the custom fairly easilly given the right parts. (which is the real trick).

Offline lambonspit

• Custom Vehicle Mistro!!
  • Lieutenant
  • "Execute Order 66"
    • lambonspit reviews and customs
« Reply #1026 on: February 13, 2010, 04:22:37 AM »
fanastic!! I didn't see all the wip pics before i saw the finished product and i was just amazed!! Such a cool looking figure.

Gun, Trigger, Pull

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #1027 on: February 16, 2010, 01:39:52 AM »
fanastic!! I didn't see all the wip pics before i saw the finished product and i was just amazed!! Such a cool looking figure.

Thanks very much.  I think he turned out exquisite myself :P

I have started two seperate threads in which I have polls going... please vote for your favorite figure of the two categories.

One is "favorite spudafett Mando"
and the other is "favorite S/A spudafett combo"

Thanks!

Offline EliteVideoCore

• The customizer from the north!
  • Lieutenant
  • I am EliteVideoCore in the chatroom
« Reply #1028 on: February 17, 2010, 02:13:25 PM »
Spud, I got the clone trooper and barc speeder and the clone won't fit on it so I want to swap out the super arty hips with an ARF trooper.... How will I go about doing this boul'n'pop method... a blow drier, I presume? For how long do I blast it for?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #1029 on: February 17, 2010, 04:38:19 PM »
Spud, I got the clone trooper and barc speeder and the clone won't fit on it so I want to swap out the super arty hips with an ARF trooper.... How will I go about doing this boul'n'pop method... a blow drier, I presume? For how long do I blast it for?

actually the "boil- and - pop" method is exactly how it sounds.

take your figure and put him in a coffe cup full of water, make sure the entire figure can be submerged into the water.  Remove the head, helmet and all other easilly removable parts. 

Then place the cup full of water with the figure submerged into a microwave for around 1 minute, untill the water just begins to boil.  Then quickly, and very carefully, remove the figure from the microwave and the cup and pull the pieces off gently.  You MIGHT have to do a minute session in the microwave for EACH piece.  Once for pulling apart the torso, then again for each arm or leg. 

since your doing an arf trooper torso replacement boil each figure and pull apart the figs at the chest/torso joint.  Then let them cool and pop the new botom half onto your basic trooper....

This is all asuming that the figure you want to have the arf legs has a removable helmet... if not, then it might be easiest just to swap the helmets.  (but I don't think any of the TCW animated clones except the arf trooper are made without removable helmets....)

Offline EliteVideoCore

• The customizer from the north!
  • Lieutenant
  • I am EliteVideoCore in the chatroom
« Reply #1030 on: February 19, 2010, 01:04:20 PM »

take your figure and put him in a coffe cup full of water, make sure the entire figure can be submerged into the water.  Remove the head, helmet and all other easilly removable parts. 

Then place the cup full of water with the figure submerged into a microwave for around 1 minute, untill the water just begins to boil.  Then quickly, and very carefully, remove the figure from the microwave and the cup and pull the pieces off gently.  You MIGHT have to do a minute session in the microwave for EACH piece.  Once for pulling apart the torso, then again for each arm or leg. 

since your doing an arf trooper torso replacement boil each figure and pull apart the figs at the chest/torso joint.  Then let them cool and pop the new botom half onto your basic trooper....

This is all asuming that the figure you want to have the arf legs has a removable helmet... if not, then it might be easiest just to swap the helmets.  (but I don't think any of the TCW animated clones except the arf trooper are made without removable helmets....)
THANKS! ;D

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #1031 on: February 19, 2010, 04:05:16 PM »

THANKS! ;D

No Problem... I guess I should make a detailed tutorial on this to put in the references section  (btw I think we need a more dedicated tutorial section!)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #1032 on: February 19, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »
I just realized this hasn't hit the front page yet. It has now.

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
  • Time to pay up, Hutt. I don't work for free.
« Reply #1033 on: February 19, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Wow, that mandalore is awesome! I agree with you also that we could use a tutorial section, I am planning to give your boil and pop method I try. I have been doing it a bit different and it hasn't been working all that well. Another awesome custom Spuda!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #1034 on: March 03, 2010, 10:23:02 PM »
this is my "droids" contest entry, please check out the other photos I've posted of the figure in that thread located here:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=3080.msg54603#new

super arty IG-88