Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 158459 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa snow trooper and at-at driver)
« Reply #885 on: January 21, 2010, 07:34:40 PM »
thanks guys.  I'm offering to make these figures for you all... go check out the parts section for my thread on how to get your own Super Articulated figure of your choosing.

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #886 on: January 21, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
This is amazing man.  great!!!

Offline jediwolf69

• The Lost 513th
  • Captain
  • the force well be with you always!
« Reply #887 on: January 21, 2010, 08:31:08 PM »
Hey mate can't wait to see what u come up with next. All your figs Are top notch.

try not, do or do not, there is no try.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #888 on: January 21, 2010, 11:54:33 PM »
here is my second version of the at-at driver.  This one uses the entire lower half of general hawk (the parts I listed in the requests thread over in parts bin).  I took an extra step and cut off the boots of gen. Hawk as well as did the same with the original figure's boots.  You can see here they have been transposed onto the new legs.  I like this figure's overal look better than my first but it is seemingly more dificult to pose for some reason.  I believe that it is the way the white strap thingie is interacting with the figure.  I plan on remaking this feature from scratch using stretch cord.  I like the look of the gen. hawk legs much better than the first one I did because they are more streamlined.  The pouches don't stick out as far and thus resemble the original stock figure more.

here is a wip shot to show the parts splicing:

I also did this one different in that I did not slice into the chest piece and instead drilled/dremeled out the necesarry hole for the new torso joint.  This greatly increased the figure's structural stability and I will make sure to do this in any future customs that are like this one (esp. if I'm going to sell them or do them on commission).
finished:

This figure is the one in the center, notice the height difference from the first one?  It's apparently a difference in the torso pieces that I used.  I think the shorter height looks well, and it makes it a little bit closer to the original's height (far right) and thus looks better proportionate.

My thoughts behind this figure is that he is the at-at captain.  He is the one who gives orders on the walker if there isn't a general or other high ranking oficer on board.  Since there are two drivers the other driver at the helm is his co-pilot.  The reason he has a holster is that as captain he is issued a blaster pistol (to help enforce orders).  The toher drivers must resort to pulling blasters from the arms locker if need for self defense arises...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #889 on: January 22, 2010, 12:11:44 AM »
I'm going to start this post saying this.... DAMN... this custom was a B#$%#$....  It kicked my but every step of the way, I couldn't find a good combo of parts and when I finally figured out how to do it I almost screwed the whole thing up.

super articulated galactic marine:

ok... so if you have a keen eye you should notice that the chest armor isn't exactly the galactic marines.  it's actually a snowtrooper's.  It's actually that snowtrooper that I broke.  I figured it was close enough to the marine's armor that I could drill out the broken peg and put in the gal. marine's arms.  so that's what I did.  I also took and cut off the neck ball and replaced it with the gal. marine's neck ball with a peg and superglue. 

the joe parts were a pain...  I couldn't figure out a good set of parts to use that would look as good as the original marine's boots.  I wound up using the originals, but had to find a way to splice them onto the joe parts.  Here is a breakdown of what parts I used:
hips: Mercenary wraith
thighs: Paraviper (I like using those....)
knee pads and lower legsL cobra diver (25th aniversary)

What I did was trimmed the original marine's leg joint off and drilled a very large hole down behind the knee pad and into the boot.  I then took and cut the cobra diver lower legs in half at the shin.  The hole I drilled into the gal.marine's leg was big enough to fit the entire diver leg into and glue into place.  The result was a spliceing together of the gi-joe leg and the gal.marine's boot at the knee.  When i glued this all together however the lower half of the gi-joe double joint got glued tight as well.  However that doesn't affect the posablility of the figure at all.

I hope you guys like this one....  I'm only going to offer to make a few of these for ISYer's... and they will unfourtunately cost you since it's so labor intensive and absolutely frustrating....

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #890 on: January 22, 2010, 12:29:52 AM »
wow, absolutely amazing

Your super-super articulated figures are top-notch. I really hope Hasbro will take a look in your custom topic.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #891 on: January 22, 2010, 12:34:22 AM »
wow, absolutely amazing

Your super-super articulated figures are top-notch. I really hope Hasbro will take a look in your custom topic.

eh... even if they did I doubt they'll ever blend the construction of the two lines together.  I swear I think they have the designers for gi-joe and the designer's for star wars locked up in seperate buildings on seperate continents!

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #892 on: January 22, 2010, 04:03:17 AM »
wow, absolutely amazing

eh... even if they did I doubt they'll ever blend the construction of the two lines together.  I swear I think they have the designers for gi-joe and the designer's for star wars locked up in seperate buildings on seperate continents!

maybe I don't know, but Hasbro made also some great articulation on SW figures. For example on the Legacy Collection Commander Gree (ball-hinged wrists) or on the ARF-Trooper (ball-jointed hips), why couldn't they make it on all Clones (Clone Wars and Legacy)?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #893 on: January 22, 2010, 04:47:59 AM »
The thing is that for some reason they won't stick with a great super articulated base figure once they have one. Take the new CW Commander Stone, they had a few good superarty CW molds, but for some reason they redesigned the entire sculpt and made it less moveable that these versions. I don't know that I have ever seen them do that with a Joe figure. I sure wish you could get those folks in the same room.

Now onto that new driver, it really looks good Devin. I too like it perhaps just a bit better, but that larger one isn't hard on the eyes either. I like the accesories you have with this new one too. I wonder what the pistol belt and holster and other accesories would look like white instead of black? Either way, this looks great.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #894 on: January 22, 2010, 05:09:58 AM »
These SA customs look amazing Devin! The poses are superb. Great job!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #895 on: January 22, 2010, 09:05:37 AM »
Now onto that new driver, it really looks good Devin. I too like it perhaps just a bit better, but that larger one isn't hard on the eyes either. I like the accesories you have with this new one too. I wonder what the pistol belt and holster and other accesories would look like white instead of black? Either way, this looks great.

I'm debating painting them white and grey myself... probably white.  I don't like the color.  I'm going to fix the belt thing too.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #896 on: January 22, 2010, 09:12:38 AM »

I'm debating painting them white and grey myself... probably white.  I don't like the color.  I'm going to fix the belt thing too.

Not sure Devin. It doesn't strike me as bad, but it might look better white or grey. Thats the thing, you won't know until you do it. Its easy for me to ask as I can sit here and then let you know what I think after you are done.  You are the one doing all the work. Still, that second figure rocks. Well so does the first one, but I do see what you are saying about the second.

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #897 on: January 22, 2010, 09:37:53 AM »
The thing is that for some reason they won't stick with a great super articulated base figure once they have one. Take the new CW Commander Stone, they had a few good superarty CW molds, but for some reason they redesigned the entire sculpt and made it less moveable that these versions. I don't know that I have ever seen them do that with a Joe figure. I sure wish you could get those folks in the same room.

I know they keep Star Wars and GI Joe design teams separate at Hasbro, and while I love the 25th Joes, I like the SW figures a little better overall, quality wise.   It would be great to see Hasbro do a cheap "army builder" set with this type of 25th style tooling (and the easy same-size ball head necks!) someday.  It's obvious that Hasbro has assumed and forced re-use in the GI Joe line since 1982.  It's been a major factor in the bottom line of the entire line.  Star Wars is quite different in that it requires a lot more sculpting and new parts.

I think the big failure with Hasbro and a lot of these figure and articulation issues is threefold: the employees, the design money, and perceived market.

The perceived market:  Since AOTC fans have been buying troopers at an alarming rate.  In 2002 Hasbro grossly underestimated the demand for the clone troopers.  Four years later they really stepped up the amount of clones in the basic line.  Since we as fans have been buying in large amounts every clone that they put out, and paying a premium online and at conventions for them, what does this tell the marketing department? More clones.  Or, they'll buy any clone we put out no matter how bad.  How can they get us to keep coming back to the well?  By making slight improvements.  If they make a new clone with better wrists or ankles, then we'll re-buy that army to get the new, better ones.  Then next year, they can make better shoulders, hips, and we buy them again.  If you look from 2002 to now, it's been eight years since AOTC and still no real definitive Clone Trooper body.

Hopefully the Clone Wars line will recify this line of thinking (they see the profit of getting a good body, and reissuing it to all hell, and how we're still buying 2 years later, with minimal complaints.)

The Design Money:
I think there are a number of very lazy sculptors and engineers at Hasbro who are milking their salaries as long as they can.  In any other design job, you lose your employment when you do bad work.  It seems at Hasbro, they're content to dump a large budget at some projects, and minimal cash into others.   It's kind of crazy to think that since 2004 Hasbro has dumped a ridiculous amount of time and money into a figure like ROTJ Luke, but still hasn't hit the mark.  They totally could have made the 2009 figure in 2004 or 2005 and called it a day.  Instead they wasted millions on one character and it still is not right.  It's a clear sign of entire brand mismanagement. 

I think if you were to go through all the figure released between 2004 and 2010, you'll see how many have been re-done to death, and how much money has been wasted by Hasbro.  If only they listened to their fans a little more, rather than just give us pretty useless Q&As and contests.

The Employees: What it all comes down to is the people who make these things.  My grandfather was an industrial engineer for a major mechanical company in the 1940's and 1950's, designing machine parts, molds, and other parts for various industrial and home machines.   In the 50's he got into model railroading in a major way, and would mold his own parts, mix his own plastic.  In the early 80's he would remold my Joe weapons, so when I lost them, he'd make me a bunch of new ones out of this great (and probably deadly!) plastic compound he had created.

One thing that always stuck with me was some of his stories from the 70's of his design firm, and how lazy people can be.  Once a lead designer mis-measured a gear in a sewing machine they were making by fractions on a millimeter.  When this guy was told by an intern that his drawings were off, he got very defensive and passive-aggressive, insisting he was right.  Everyone, my grandfather and his partners included, all trusted this employee's measurements (even though he had a rep for being lazy.)  Six months later and the prototype is tested, and this was a very anticipated device in their company.   Needless to say it didn't work and actually spit out a bit of metal that cut my grandfather's arm up a bit.  It made everyone look like an idiot, it cost the firm millions (when millions were millions! ;) ) to re-do the part in time for the client.

A few weeks later the intern confronted my grandfather in the office about the situation.  So they pull the guy into his office.  The designer (who was freelance) explained that it didn't really matter what he did, and that it was better if he did it a little bit wrong, as then the firm could get more design work to fix it.  So basically he was messing it up the first few times, in the expectation that he would be paid to fix it again; thus getting paid two or more times for the same product. 

Sounds a bit like the saga of our AT-AT driving friend, right?

Needless to say, the guy was fired on the spot and worked as a school bus driver until the late 1990's.

Sorry to go all over the place, Spudafett, but it drives me nuts that I've been collecting modern SW since the 1995 relaunch, (and vintage since 1993 i don't count what I had as a kid to be collecting) - and they still use the same straight-up lies and excuses that they used in 1996:  It costs too much to tool, it wouldn't sell, no one will buy it.  Well take a look Hasbro.  Your arrogance is costing you millions.  In 2004 with the Vintage line, fans said they wanted every figure to be like that, especially at the $5-7 price range.   Now look how much tooling from 2004-2007 you can *actually* re-use for 2010's SW product.  Not much, huh?  And if you do re-use that old tooling, we won't buy it.  Take a look at 2004's OTC line and tell me which of the main characters could actually pass by at retail in 2010.  And look at your 2009-2010 product: almost all SA.  It took you 5 years to catch up with the fans, why not start the decade off good, and give fans what they want: fully SA troopers.

I guess Star Wars fans really have two options:
be patient and wait until they make a version you find satisfactory,
or be bad ass like Spudafett and make your own.

Again, your work is inspiring and you should be really proud!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #898 on: January 22, 2010, 09:47:11 AM »
Wow flacideagle, talk about your well thought out reponses. You nailed all my major points. We did get an answer back from them from one of our question rounds (think Devin submitted it or Clint did). Anyhow, it was full of bs.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #899 on: January 22, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »

The perceived market:  Since AOTC fans have been buying troopers at an alarming rate.  In 2002 Hasbro grossly underestimated the demand for the clone troopers.  Four years later they really stepped up the amount of clones in the basic line.  Since we as fans have been buying in large amounts every clone that they put out, and paying a premium online and at conventions for them, what does this tell the marketing department? More clones.  Or, they'll buy any clone we put out no matter how bad.  How can they get us to keep coming back to the well?  By making slight improvements.  If they make a new clone with better wrists or ankles, then we'll re-buy that army to get the new, better ones.  Then next year, they can make better shoulders, hips, and we buy them again.  If you look from 2002 to now, it's been eight years since AOTC and still no real definitive Clone Trooper body.

Yeah I was a Stormtrooper army builder in the POTF2 era.  Needless to say I don't troop build like that anymore.