Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 158530 times)

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: western mando)
« Reply #780 on: January 06, 2010, 10:03:07 PM »
Wonderful customs as always mate.

Ron

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #781 on: January 06, 2010, 11:22:11 PM »
Spudd I am liking your customs a lot, I am getting some cool ideas from looking at these, so expect to see some copied, lol.

BY ALL MEANS!  As I was telling a guy I was selling some figures to the other day... it is an honor to be coppied/emulated.  he had originally asked me to do a figure for him but after seeing my figures he had purchased he wanted to give it a try on his own, after asking me for some pointers! lol.  Of course I gave him my best advice.  I always have said that it is much more rewarding to build/make your own figure than it is to buy something prebuilt.  That is what I love most about this hobby, the construction, working with my hands, and making something that I can be proud of.  I love that sense of accomplishment. 

If I can help you, or anyone else get that same sense of accomplishment then I am more than willing to offer up ideas or help when needed.  So, draw any ideas that you might want from my figures! 

BY the way, if ANYONE can think of ideas for more tutorials you might like to see me do and put up on e-bay I'd love to hear what you think would help you guys.  iI know my figure breakdown tutorials and super articulation tutorials have been a big help to alot of people.

I'm going to work on a super articulation upgrade tutorial for the commando droids tomorrow....  can anyone think of anything else they might need help with?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #782 on: January 06, 2010, 11:48:40 PM »
Blizzard force Mandalorian

This mando is decked out in arctic survival gear.  Heavilly layered clothing keeps out the bitter chill of blizzard conditions.  He is equipped with a winterized blaster rifle, the wrappings keep the electronics above freezing.  He has spiked boots to keep grip on glacial ice as well as two large ice picks for climbing.

the figure was made from that of a ROC arctic viper.  The vest was heavilly modified, and a cast resin duplicate of the "FX" jango's chest armor was added.  The forearms are cast resin copies of a VOTC boba's forearms, which just so happened to fit perfectly onto the Arctic Viper's forearm pegs.  the helmet is a stock jango helmet.  the backpack is a vintage POTF snowtrooper pack, modified.  everything else is random fodder, mostly joe parts.

well let me know what you guys think... I know he's another mando... and your probably getting sick of them... but I hope he's different enough (and most of my figs are different enough from each other) that it keeps them fresh............

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #783 on: January 06, 2010, 11:54:27 PM »
and the next awesome Mando, very very cool mate

In my opinion the best so far

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #784 on: January 07, 2010, 12:02:49 AM »
lol how come each successive figure I post keeps getting the "best so far" treatment....

I still think super uber articulated fett was the best....  although I am very proud of this last one.  Only because it was a concept I've wanted to do for a long time but could never pin down a good idea of what to use or how to go about doing it.  and as great as it looks now you'd never know how much work was put into it.

those cast resin forearms were a B#($5 to get right.  I went through about 3 resin pours before the fingers and all the details finally came out right. 

If that wasn't enough... painting white on a figure is so agrivating....  However I was pleasently surprised when my white on this figured turned out alright.

I learned a long time ago to reserve a single paint brush for ONLY WHITE.  I have marked this brush by dipping the end of the handle in the white paint and letting it dry.  I ONLY use it for white now to make sure that there isn't any contamination of other collors into whatever I'm painting. 

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #785 on: January 07, 2010, 01:07:30 AM »
That's a very cool figure as well, Devin.
Somehow I knew what was coming when you told me about the Arctic Mando project...it was either this Viper or Frostbite as a basic figure to work from.

Actually, I like painting white figures, but I prefer spraypainting in white if possible. It will look nice and even and lends itself to an inkwash to give the figure more depth.
I'll soon be presenting my Republic Commando in Katarn Model VI Experimental Armor and I plan to do him in white (with the appropriate wear and tear).
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #786 on: January 07, 2010, 01:43:32 AM »
Spudd I am liking your customs a lot, I am getting some cool ideas from looking at these, so expect to see some copied, lol.

BY ALL MEANS!  As I was telling a guy I was selling some figures to the other day... it is an honor to be coppied/emulated.  he had originally asked me to do a figure for him but after seeing my figures he had purchased he wanted to give it a try on his own, after asking me for some pointers! lol.  Of course I gave him my best advice.  I always have said that it is much more rewarding to build/make your own figure than it is to buy something prebuilt.  That is what I love most about this hobby, the construction, working with my hands, and making something that I can be proud of.  I love that sense of accomplishment. 

If I can help you, or anyone else get that same sense of accomplishment then I am more than willing to offer up ideas or help when needed.  So, draw any ideas that you might want from my figures! 

BY the way, if ANYONE can think of ideas for more tutorials you might like to see me do and put up on e-bay I'd love to hear what you think would help you guys.  iI know my figure breakdown tutorials and super articulation tutorials have been a big help to alot of people.

I'm going to work on a super articulation upgrade tutorial for the commando droids tomorrow....  can anyone think of anything else they might need help with?

I would say how to get rid off paint rub on joints, I know a few ways but would be interested to hear how others do it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #787 on: January 07, 2010, 07:02:35 AM »
Not too shabby. I would think any Mando would probably scoff at the idea of wearing a coat though. I really only see those dudes at most wearing a cape or kama, but would be too proud to actually wear something to stay warm.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #788 on: January 07, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »
Tamer Idk... I havn't realy read any of the eu material so Im not real sure how they would see it.  I would think that the mando's wouldn't necessarilly only have one set of armor, but rather have several specialized sets depending on the situation.  I'm thinking back when the mando's were an actual fighting force during the early republic, not jango/boba's days...   but even they had a few sets of armor (the same versions...).

I don't think a mando would see it weak to whear appropriate necessary materials...  now I am sure they would find it redicuous to wear this outfit in every situation.... 

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #789 on: January 07, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »
holy shit, that's a LOT of white paint.

well worth the pain in the ass I'm sure it was but I have to say better you than me with that hassle.  (don't say it was that bad either  LOL, white is the most obnoxious color to paint with, seconded only by yellow)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #790 on: January 07, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »
I agree NFC... but realy the only thing that I realy had to paint white was over the cobra emblem on the vest, the helmet (the hardest part) and the cast resin pieces (the chest armor and the forearms/hands) which were already cast in white resin so it was kind of redundant...  so although it looks like alot it realy wasn't too bad.

by the way... I've started a photo project today with this figure.  I am making a thread on it over in the artwork section:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=2480.0

I've titled the project "bounty hunting daily, 2010".

the concept is that for every day for the rest of this year I will take at least one candid shot of a custom action figure.  I plan on mostly useing my mandos and bounty hunters, hence the title of the project...   so check out the first instalment in that thread and keep checking it daily for updates!  (and let me know what you think!)

Offline clonemedic96

• Captain
  • "Hey Sev, This one looks like your mother."-Scorch
« Reply #791 on: January 07, 2010, 05:55:53 PM »
O MY GOD Spuda you are amazing at mandos, you have to have least one for every environment possible! Holy cow that is amazing

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #792 on: January 07, 2010, 06:05:15 PM »
O MY GOD Spuda you are amazing at mandos, you have to have least one for every environment possible! Holy cow that is amazing

ultimately that is the idea...  I still have yet to make a GOOD space suit mando....

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #793 on: January 07, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »
Look at that Kicken Snow Mando! I know that he isn't super duper arty and yes, your super arty mando was killer but, I am a visual guy and to me, if it looks cool, it is cool. This one is quite cool, buddy.

FX Fett? Was that the one with the sound effect backpack?

Here was my favorite shot.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #794 on: January 07, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »
thanks clint, actually he has almost the same articulation that the ultimate boba has.  The arctic viper figure doesn't have the double jointed knees, and the coat basically makes the chest/torso joint useless.  But he still has ball jointed joe hip articulation...

If you like that shot clint go check out the shots I put up in my new thread over in the custom artwork section.... this figure was the start of an epic photo project Im going to work on this year.

and yes the "FX" jango I'm talking about is the one with the sound effects backpack.  The front chest armor and wrist gauntlets are removable on that figure, so I made a cast resin duplicate of the chest armor after cutting off the shoulder pads.