Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 158460 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: Ultimate Boba & Militant Mando)
« Reply #690 on: December 12, 2009, 06:38:07 PM »
That's a great Fett, Spud! You have certainly perfected the best version of him. I really like that flight backpack, also. Great job buddy. Thanks for the lengthy explanation. I read the whole thing. BTW, if you capitalize the F in Fett, I believe that it will disable the smiley.
.... Ok... the waving "Fe TT" smiley is realy anoying... 
but besides that.....

Simon (narceron) suggested that I do a modern military mandalorian.  of course I challenged him to do one as well (hopefully he'll finish it!)... and in all honesty I wasn't going to actually do this custom, but got to messing around with the figures I had and it fell together into what I'm about to explain...

so I hope that narceron takes this as even more of a challenge to finish his version of the concept!

The idea was to make a mandalorian style soldier that looked like it could be a present day (or near future) modern soldier or mercenary.  This meant keeping the general look and feel of the mandalorian armor/helmet but making it in a way that seemed more plausable. 

I felt like the concept of boba's armor and gauntlets was very real world plausible, I've actually seen full movie acurate costumes which had built in working flame throwers on them!  so I kept the main body armor exactly the same.

I used the gi-joe splicing technique that I have used so often and swapped the original boba's legs and hips out for a set of Gi-joe parts that looked decent,  you might remember this figure I showed a while back:

I realy liked the look of that figure and compounded upon it to make the finished

"modern militant mando"

I felt like a traditional boba fett jetpack looked too futuristic.  I know that there are modern day jetpacks available, but none that are able to cary a person for very long.

The "helo pack" is based on a ducted fan personal lift device that has been in the works for quite some time.  I believe that this was the most practical way of depicting a modern day soldier with a personal back pack based flight appperatus.  My thoughts are that instead of being gasoline/fuel driven it'd be a highly efficient electric system.  Using a hydrogen fuel cell or some kind of advanced battery high power electric motors would run the rotors and create lift.... 

as for the toy, the fans are from the CORPS! hovercraft's motors.  They have been added to "Heavy Duty"'s ammo backpack from the ROC line of GI-joes.  I trimmed off the "HD" emblem that was on the pack.  Both fan ducts are friction mounted on a plastic rod and are free to swivel into different orientations.

I constructed the new machine gun out of an offbrand (might have been corps!) military M-16 replica.  I spliced the machine gun with the grenade launcher to a Boba Fett rifle with the barrel removed, the scope is from the original boba blaster. 

The range finder was replaced by a modifed set of night vision goggles.  I originally wanted to make the range finder posable and the scope able to swivel up.  I wound up not being able to do that in the way that I wanted so I cut the "antenae" off and glued it on in the down position, glueing the scope to the front visor and glueing the "antenae" to the side of it.

I believe that covers it.... I repainted most of the figure, giving him a darker jumpsuit under the armor as well as a black on grey camo pattern (similar to what was on the original Gi-joe legs)....

well.... tell me what you guys think.  Anything I could add/change to make this one better?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #691 on: December 12, 2009, 06:57:36 PM »
I like it. I will find some time to go change that daggone smiley too. Now all this Fett needs is a daggone MRE and he would feel right at home in any modern military

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #692 on: December 12, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »
Fantastic looking Fett Devin!!! it didnt take you long to get back to the mando'a hey lol

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #693 on: December 12, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »
lol I never got off of them!

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #694 on: December 12, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »
Ultimate Boba,

I'm gonna hate saying this, but it looks better than what Hasbro makes.

Well done, actually a very good job.

Almost makes that horrible existence you call a life worth living, :)

Military mando....I see.

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #695 on: December 13, 2009, 08:08:19 AM »
Your Boba Fett is beyond amazing. Utterly brilliant work.

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #696 on: December 13, 2009, 09:19:23 AM »
lol I never got off of them!
I'm not even going to explain how I thought I read that when I first read it.   :o

LOL

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #697 on: December 13, 2009, 09:24:07 AM »
 ;D

anyways.... daaaaamn that heli fan backpack guy is awesome!  He's hardcore and bad ass.  Great concept, great custom.  Mandos are never a bad thing.  Ever.

best Fett I've seen ever too.  Yours puts Hasbro's to shame and it hysterical how many rings it could run around it with proper articulation

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #698 on: December 13, 2009, 10:18:16 AM »
I don't know why hasbro doesn't jump on the ball with super articulation.  I know that the thinking behind star wars figures have always been "screen accuracy" but that doesn't mean having to sacrifice articulation in their construction.  As a person who likes to see playability in a TOY I don't like these miniature plastic statues hasbro keeps creating with star wars...

with gi-joe the thinking has always been playability, for goodness sakes the toys are meant to be toys, they were created as a toy line and not as movie merchendise!  I realy think hasbro should bring back the toy mentality to star wars.... 

I think I have proven from the customs I have done that Hasbro already has the means to reimagine the star wars line... I mean heck, they already reuse countless parts for any new gi-joe figure...  very little new molds would have to be made for a super articulated "joe style" construction of star wars toys!....

ok... I'll step down from my soap box now

thanks everyone for the kind words,  I'm glad you liked these and didn't see them as "just another mando"...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #699 on: December 13, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »
I really like that Helo pack and the paint job and the super atry treatment. Another good one Devin.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #700 on: December 13, 2009, 03:27:38 PM »
I agree the Heli pack is quite cool. Good idea using the parts from the ship for propulsion. Hey I also just saw "he's no good to me mashed" and had a good laugh.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #701 on: December 13, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
I agree the Heli pack is quite cool. Good idea using the parts from the ship for propulsion. Hey I also just saw "he's no good to me mashed" and had a good laugh.

lol I'm glad someone cought it and laughed... I used to have an actual mr.potato head sketch with boba and han solo in carbonite as my avatar so it made a little more sense back then...

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #702 on: December 13, 2009, 08:14:37 PM »
AHHHH that is sweet!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #703 on: December 13, 2009, 08:20:54 PM »
Not to get too off topic, Devin, but I can answer your question, as Hasbro answered it for us one time:

G.I. Joe is a Hasbro entity, so they do not need to pay for licensing or royalties that they would have to pay to George Lucas for the Star Wars license.  When we asked, it was "Why are G.I. Joe figs $5 and SW figs are almost $8.  However, since they're actually the same price point now, what's the difference?  We'll never get a straight answer, nor will we ever get the full articulation we all desire.

Back on track though, those are fantastic customs!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #704 on: December 13, 2009, 08:21:36 PM »
lol i just realized that "yam solo's" thumbs are backwards....