Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 158457 times)

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures (update:Dino-Sith)
« Reply #675 on: December 09, 2009, 10:05:11 AM »
that's cuz you started it out MEAN... :P

lol thanks man, I realy appreciate it.  I like doing something different every now and then...  Need some more challenges... cuz I run out of ideas...

no kidding.

You'll have to remember NFC, crude language and yanking your change are his hello, how are you, :)

Good to see a non mando, devin.

You need to fix that head, its an odd angle.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #676 on: December 09, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »
creators block or laziness...  lol 

the head is at an odd angle cuz it is suposed to be odd...  and the fact that now that there is a hole drilled for the neck ball already I can't realy change that to make it look any better....  Trust me, it looks ok in person.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #677 on: December 09, 2009, 01:11:44 PM »
wait, so you made a custom out of vipers box of nothing?

Man, you need to post that on ST6, :)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #678 on: December 12, 2009, 02:05:28 AM »
TEASER:

TEASER!:

more images of both figures and the details on them to be posted tomorrow....

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #679 on: December 12, 2009, 05:09:13 AM »

more images of both figures and the details on them to be posted tomorrow....
WHOA!   I'm dying to see the results of the finished version of that!   Totally RAD!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #680 on: December 12, 2009, 05:12:02 AM »
Oh yeah, that helo pad on his back looks pretty daggone rad.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #681 on: December 12, 2009, 06:45:09 AM »
Oh that Boba looks like one of your best SA figures yet. I also like the second one, can't wait to see more.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #682 on: December 12, 2009, 08:13:53 AM »
your Boba looks great

I'm looking forward to see more pics

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #683 on: December 12, 2009, 11:14:15 AM »
boba looks awesome.so much detailing  :o

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #684 on: December 12, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »
Ultimate Fett:

the first ever figures I customized were boba fett... I am a die hard fett fan, obviously (just look back through my thread...).   Since I first started customizing though I've wanted to do an "ultimate" boba fett.  Basically a movie accurate boba fett figure that had super articulation and super posablility, and playability!  This was back when the best boba sculpt there was was the OTC fett.  No removable helmet, no super articulation...

I fell in love with the GI-joe articulation very quickly in my early customizing days (again evident from my thread) and you guys might remember this:

ultimately I sold the figure shown above because I wasn't happy with the acuracy of the figure, especially after the Evolution's boba fett was released.

With the oncoming of the evolutions boba fett:

I was stoked that it had a ball jointed torso.  I'd already been experimenting with the gi-joe ball torso splicing with the scout trooper and kashyyk trooper figures, so I was excited to see boba finally to where I could successfully convert him in the same way..... unfourtunately the only way to get that sculpt was to buy the evolutions pack and I wasn't going to open the only one I have!

But... then it was released single carded! 

I had it sitting around ultimately knowing this is what I would do with it but I was stuck on how to successfully pull off the legs.  In the first super arty figure I used a combonation of GI-joe legs and the lower legs of the boba figure, and although this worked, it was awkward and took alot of effort to get right. 

I'll have to give credit to one of the guys over at ST6customs, he constructed his own super articulated gi-joe fett, placing him as a mercenary in the cobra legions in his "verse" and pulled off the leg construction in a way I would have never thought of.  He took 100% gi-joe legs and grafted on the pockets from the original boba figure.  Basically, he removed the pockets with an exacto knife, cutting up the original figure's legs, trimmed them up, then glued them directly onto the gi-joe leg parts, filling in the spaces with "green stuff" sculpting putty....

seeing his finished result kickstarted me back into finishing this project once and for all, and this is what I came up with:
(sorry for the long explanaition, most of you guys probably skip it anyway....)

here are two shots before I painted the figure, this gives you a sense of what all took place during the construction of the figure:

(I'll explain the parts list at the very end)

looking at the photos I see a few spots that need touching up.  mostly where I handled the figure too quickly after painting the knee pads and smudged the orange on the bottom leg... that'll be easilly fixed.

This comparison shot shows just how much height increase there is with the new reworked figure.  Although, it does make him more in scale with the joe style figures I've been doing.... but he doesn't look good standing next to the original figure.... well, I take that back, the original figures don't look good standing next to him!  ;D

Action shot:

Ok parts list:

items from the single carded legacy boba fett (same sculpt as the evolutions boba fett)
Unaltered:
Helmet
guns
jetpack
chest (popped apart to remove lower half of original figure)
arms/hands
feet
belt

altered (exacto knife removal from original figure and transfered to new parts):
thigh pockets
shin tool pockets
knee dart launchers (outside knee pad pieces)
Additional set of wookie scalps (removed from a second boba figure and added underneath the originals)
Rear holster: (sliced off of original boba figure with an exacto knife and glued onto joe leg, same as pockets)

Cod piece was taken from an unknown Darth Vader figure.  it was the right shape to fit under the boba belt, so it was glued on and is similar in function as the Jango Fett removable armor belt/cod piece/holster assymbly...

gi-joe part list:

"gut" and hips:       Resolute Cobra Commander
Thighs:                     Paraviper (accessories removed with exacto knife)
knee joint/pads:   Resolute 5-pack Duke
Shins/lower legs:  Paris Persuit (trenchcoat) snake eyes  (peg socket for feet was drilled larger to accomodate stock
                                      boba feet)

Almost the entire figure was repainted.  The grey undersuit was repainted so that there was a consistant coloration between the arms and the legs.  The only armor piece that was repainted was the cod piece, all original boba armor was left stock (I am actualy very pleased with the detailing in the single carded legacy evo-boba...)

well... sorry for all the lengthy explanaitions.. but I feel like I have to explain myself anytime I do another boba figure!  (narceron has given me a complex....)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: Ultimate Boba & Militant Mando)
« Reply #685 on: December 12, 2009, 01:59:26 PM »
.... Ok... the waving "Fe TT" smiley is realy anoying...  
but besides that.....

Simon (narceron) suggested that I do a modern military mandalorian.  of course I challenged him to do one as well (hopefully he'll finish it!)... and in all honesty I wasn't going to actually do this custom, but got to messing around with the figures I had and it fell together into what I'm about to explain...

so I hope that narceron takes this as even more of a challenge to finish his version of the concept!

The idea was to make a mandalorian style soldier that looked like it could be a present day (or near future) modern soldier or mercenary.  This meant keeping the general look and feel of the mandalorian armor/helmet but making it in a way that seemed more plausable.  

I felt like the concept of boba's armor and gauntlets was very real world plausible, I've actually seen full movie acurate costumes which had built in working flame throwers on them!  so I kept the main body armor exactly the same.

I used the gi-joe splicing technique that I have used so often and swapped the original boba's legs and hips out for a set of Gi-joe parts that looked decent,  you might remember this figure I showed a while back:

I realy liked the look of that figure and compounded upon it to make the finished

"modern militant mando"

I felt like a traditional boba fett jetpack looked too futuristic.  I know that there are modern day jetpacks available, but none that are able to cary a person for very long.

The "helo pack" is based on a ducted fan personal lift device that has been in the works for quite some time.  I believe that this was the most practical way of depicting a modern day soldier with a personal back pack based flight appperatus.  My thoughts are that instead of being gasoline/fuel driven it'd be a highly efficient electric system.  Using a hydrogen fuel cell or some kind of advanced battery high power electric motors would run the rotors and create lift....  

as for the toy, the fans are from the CORPS! hovercraft's motors.  They have been added to "Heavy Duty"'s ammo backpack from the ROC line of GI-joes.  I trimmed off the "HD" emblem that was on the pack.  Both fan ducts are friction mounted on a plastic rod and are free to swivel into different orientations.

I constructed the new machine gun out of an offbrand (might have been corps!) military M-16 replica.  I spliced the machine gun with the grenade launcher to a Boba Fett rifle with the barrel removed, the scope is from the original boba blaster.  

The range finder was replaced by a modifed set of night vision goggles.  I originally wanted to make the range finder posable and the scope able to swivel up.  I wound up not being able to do that in the way that I wanted so I cut the "antenae" off and glued it on in the down position, glueing the scope to the front visor and glueing the "antenae" to the side of it.

I believe that covers it.... I repainted most of the figure, giving him a darker jumpsuit under the armor as well as a black on grey camo pattern (similar to what was on the original Gi-joe legs)....

well.... tell me what you guys think.  Anything I could add/change to make this one better?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:16:04 PM by spudafett »

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #686 on: December 12, 2009, 03:50:55 PM »
All I can say is WOW! as I gaze at these figures!  Great, great work, Spud!  Great work!
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #687 on: December 12, 2009, 04:00:10 PM »
Devin,
in some review of the EVO Boba Fett they said this was the ultimate Boba Fett figure...untill you came along.
Your Boba is the best Boba Fett figure I've seen so far and I'm mightily impressed.

The other Mando also looks majorly cool. The Helo-Pack is a great idea and underlines the overall look of the Mandalorian Supercommandos.
Big thumbs-up for an outstanding job!
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #688 on: December 12, 2009, 06:00:32 PM »
thanks guys, I think the best compliment I've had so far is that my sister took a look at it and said "it looks like something you'd buy at the store". 

I'm happy with it :)

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #689 on: December 12, 2009, 06:24:29 PM »
thanks guys, I think the best compliment I've had so far is that my sister took a look at it and said "it looks like something you'd buy at the store". 

I'm happy with it :)

Truthfully, it looks a lot better than the store quality items!
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore