Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 158454 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures (update: scout trooper tutorial)
« Reply #540 on: October 18, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »
thanks drs, I might try puting the holster turned inward... I'll have to paint it to match the rest of him first!

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #541 on: October 19, 2009, 10:22:13 AM »
awesome work on the tutorials, Devin.  I'm cringing though watching you hold the scout in one hand and cutting upwards with the blade with the other hand, I swear the christ you were going to put a bleeding gash at some point.  Sure, you mention to be careful to not cut a finger while using it but THAT'S when I really expected to see you do just that.

if ever you are filming a tutorial later and you do injure yourself, will you let the camera roll and record the accident, blood and all, as a less to all of us?  or will just just shut it off?   

;D

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #542 on: October 19, 2009, 11:26:01 AM »
that's a good idea, NFC. I don't wish for spud to get hurt but I also cringe. I take alot of xacto risks while cleaning resin parts but usually prefer a half-dull blade. that slows down the cleanup but lessens the chances of cutting into my fingers.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures (update: red barron mando)
« Reply #543 on: October 19, 2009, 11:33:13 AM »

thanks for the compliments jules.  I've been told many times that I should be on radio! lol.

Are you sure it wasn't "you have a face for radio"

>>>????

LOL

love the videos, man.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #544 on: October 19, 2009, 12:00:25 PM »
aww come on simon, I've got a pretty face ;)

lol NFC your right, more than once have I hacked and sliced my fingers doing that... I've even drilled a hole through it once... and back when I used the dremel to cut through figures I cut up my fingernail pretty good with a cutting wheel!
I've also burnt myself with the soldering iron too.... and dripped hot solder on my pants... lol  I've probably injured myself more in this hobby than I did building propane powered spud guns! (although I don't think I've ever burned my eyebrows off doing this hobby!)

I promise if I am recording a tutorial the camera will roll!  Normally I don't stop the camera if something happens since I've got to worry about cleaning it up and stopping the bleeding! lol.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #545 on: October 19, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »
If you get an award for a "how to customize" snuff film, I'm gonna crack up< :)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures (update: viper pilot)
« Reply #546 on: October 26, 2009, 10:25:36 PM »
man... I got pushed to the second page! this is unacceptable! what's with these new guys!?! lol 

naw realy I'm happy that we've got new enthusiastic members here.  And I promise this isn't a post to push myself back to the top for no reason.  Actually, I've tried a couple resin helmet combos... now, they are nowhere near as good as clonehead's but... these are my first ever tries!

first a mando helmet with the veer's helmet over it.

a question to clint... how do you paint these helmets without the bubbles causing bumby surfaces?  do you paint with primer first?

here is another I did:
"clone evo trooper"

check out my resin casting thread in the resources forum for more cast helmets I've gotten done....

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #547 on: October 26, 2009, 11:43:07 PM »
Man, I haven't been paying attention lately! I haven't seen that Viper finished yet, and WOW, it's awesome! The pilot is amazing too, very cool!

That white rex / mando mashup you did actually looks like a decent female mando figure, maybe it could be Rav Bralor or someone from the RC novels (which you still need to read if you haven't!). Not sure what any of the FeMandos' color schemes were (okay never using the term "FeMando" again), but I have a crappy Rex figure and a torn-apart Jodo Kast who might now be begging to be made into one of the ladies of mandalore.... hmm.... Don't have an anakin, though, so I'd have to find some other boots, maybe screaming Mace Windu or someone, lol. I really do like that method of making a female mando better than hasbro's though...  giving them the "form-fitting" (boob-shaped) upper armors... that always felt a little slutty to me for such hardened warriors, and the animated clones are just slim and feminine enough to pass nicely for a legacy-style female in armor. Good stuff!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:56:30 PM by XizorsVirago »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #548 on: October 27, 2009, 05:41:48 AM »
Good job with the casting and helmet mixes, spud. Yeah, a primer coat will help or sometimes, I will fill any bubble pockets with superglue prior to painting.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #549 on: October 27, 2009, 05:57:57 AM »
are you using any superglue accellerator?  My super glue doesn't "fill in" very good at all....

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #550 on: October 27, 2009, 07:51:42 AM »
Yes, I do use the accellerator to quicken the glue's set time. Sometimes, if it is a bigger hole, I will just drip some fresh resin from another casting run into the hole or, since there are plenty of resin carving flakes layingaround, I will jam one of those flakes into the hole with some superglue to help fill the gap or rebuild the missing angle, if you will, and then carve it right when the glue or resin sets.

Say you cast a visor bikerscout helmet and there is a hole in the visor. I would take a scrap of resin that fits the hole and protrudes out past the visor, glue it into place, and then carve it to conform to the right shape after the glue sets.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #551 on: October 27, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »
where do you get the accelerator?  I can't find any anywhere....

I'll start saving scrap resin flakes for fixing bubble holes... it's to valuable to waste it all! lol

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #552 on: October 27, 2009, 07:57:18 AM »
they used to carry it at walmart but dont anymore. I get mine at hobby heaven but you could probably find it at hobbytown usa or perhaps even hobby lobby. I have never looked for it there but I will check on it this week.
  It's also called cy glue accellorator.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #553 on: October 27, 2009, 08:09:09 AM »
Hey guys I just got some of the accelerator at Hobby Town.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #554 on: October 27, 2009, 08:14:32 AM »
hmm no hobby town around me.... is it available anywhere else?