Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 158459 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures (update: animated mando and carnage)
« Reply #510 on: October 14, 2009, 10:52:54 PM »
in an attempt to redeem myself after posting that animated attrocity I finally finished my super articulated joe-mando.

I'm calling him the red barron...

well?  Is that more up to the level you guys would expect?!

just wait about an hour and I'll have something even better for ya! ;)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures (update: red barron mando)
« Reply #511 on: October 15, 2009, 12:35:42 AM »
custom super articulated legacy style scout trooper:

but here is the best part.  I videotaped the entire process in a walk through tutorial!

part one:

right now windows movie maker is giving me problems, so check back soon for part two

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #512 on: October 15, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
Dude, you are a smooth talking Scoundrel! The video was very informative, you sound like a very chilled airline pilot. Your explanation and descriptions were clear and concise and I love the idea of a fully articulated biker.

You really are the man when it comes to experimenting with stuff, I bet you love taking things apart to see how they are made!

Cheers for making all of the effort!

Jules

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #513 on: October 15, 2009, 01:35:14 AM »
here is the second half of that video

thanks for the compliments jules.  I've been told many times that I should be on radio! lol.
I started at an early age taking apart anything that was broken... then I started taking apart things that were still working so that I could put it back together again and see if I could make it work.

I remember early on when I first started collecting action fleet ships I used to take whatever easily removable parts off each one and use "sticky tack" to adhere parts to other ships temporarilly!  I think my favorite was a jawa sandcrawler with a huge x-wing laser cannon on top!  I figured after the jawas were massacered by the stormtroopers in ANH that the other jawas would scavenge parts to make their sandcrawlers more defensive!

but anyways, I just love sharing what I've learned and it is super rewarding to me to hear feedback from you guys about this kind of stuff.

I can't wait to see some of your all's takes on this technique.  If there are any questions left unanswered in the videos please ask them!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures (update: scout trooper tutorial)
« Reply #514 on: October 15, 2009, 04:06:15 AM »
Rde Baron is one cool Mando. Nice use of that Firefly body. I wish I had bought about 6 of those instead of 1. But the scout trooper steals the show. That is one of the most seamless SA leg swaps ever. I can't wait to watch the video while I eat breakfast. Now to get the kids off to school first...

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #515 on: October 15, 2009, 06:50:24 AM »
Dude, I wouldn't sculpt over anything on that clone!  The rest of the family agree w/ the "it's a chick" assessment, btw.  But it looks good!  KTraviss notes that you can't always tell the wearer is female unless they deliberately have their breastplates sculpted to exaggerate their attributes.  I'd clean up the paint-apps - mainly the black edges - and call her good!  The Anakin legs look fine to me - the proportions lean toward the feminine already.  Yer gonna need a female head, now...

Blue trim = WalMart = Rex
Red trim = Target = Fox

follow-on fig's:

Now *these* are more what we expect from ya!  ;)  I've got the vid's loading in other tabs as we speak...

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #516 on: October 15, 2009, 07:35:57 AM »
Great step by step tutorial. Nice choice for the lower torso and hips, it looks like that part of the shirt is ribbed so it helps make it look like the scout torso even more. Thanks for the time you put into thatI enjoyed it very much.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #517 on: October 15, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »
Spud, you have done it again! I just sat through parts 1 and 2 of your new tutorial and I am impressed. you covered all of the bases and were very informative. The wealth of customizing information around here has just grown by another leap with these videos. Thanks for doing them. I will put it on the fp later if Tamer hasn't already.

I like that new Mando fig also. Are those the gauntlet castings that you mentioned.
  That sa biker scout just rocks!!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #518 on: October 15, 2009, 10:48:30 AM »
um... unfourtunately those are not the castings.  Those are the forearms of a VOTC boba fett, so they are not removable.

Although... now that you mention it I think I'm going to pop those forearms off of that guy and cast them up.  They'd be pretty simple....

thanks for the praise guys.  That video took me all afternoon yesterday up till 2:00 this morning trying to get it all put together and edited and uploaded....  I'm glad it taught yall something! 

I hope that after explaining the process that I see some copy-cat customizing around here!  I'd love to see someone try and emulate the process! 

Offline DS-61-2

• Commander
« Reply #519 on: October 15, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »
great job, very good video as well.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #520 on: October 15, 2009, 02:56:32 PM »
Converting the Scout Trooper is such an inspired idea, and the fact that you are sharing your backward engineering skills with us is wonderful. I may be good at photoshop, but you are the king when it comes to getting up to mischief with figures...(that sounds rude, but you know what I mean!..as long as R1 doesn't read it we'll be ok).

I had the movies playing on my PC while I was working, they were so calming, I know that you were talking about converting a trooper, but it actually sounds like one of those relaxation tapes...I found them quite compelling too. You are so smooth on the Video, I might use it to sooth me to sleep!

From now on you shall be known as Spuda"The Voice" Fett!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:58:12 PM by hangarbay94 »

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #521 on: October 15, 2009, 04:03:25 PM »
excellent vid spud   :)
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #522 on: October 15, 2009, 04:54:31 PM »

From now on you shall be known as Spuda"The Voice" Fett!

lol that's great hb.  In high school I used to help at my church with a kid's puppet show... and out of fate I was given a black puppet... it wasn't any sooner than the first rehearsal that my puppet was named "barry"...  It was quite funny.  I tell you though, puberty was NOT a fun time for me... I sqeeked worse than a 100 year old door hinge.

thanks for the comments guys.  I realy enjoy doing these tutorials.  It makes puting the figure together more interesting to me as it adds an extra step to the process. If you can believe it this technique has become almost too routine for me...

I just wish that the knee pads worked a little better on this figure.  The large knee pad armor on the original figure made it very dificult to get a good match, if you go back and look at my kashyyyk trooper that I used the same technique on the knee pads look seemless, as on most of the figures I've done... for some reason I just couldn't get this one to work right.  I think it is alright enough though.

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
  • "A comMAHND post for the EMpiah!"
    • Psyclone Design
« Reply #523 on: October 15, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »
Nice tutorial and great work.  What is the height difference between this figure and the original scout trooper?  Can we see a comparison shot and maybe with a couple of average Star Wars figures next to it?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #524 on: October 15, 2009, 08:38:29 PM »
it's only slightly taller.  it is basically now a 4" figure instead of 3.75".  The new 25th joes are closer to 4 inches and the rearticulated figure comes close to their height.

In the morning I'll dig out some of my unaltered figures and give some comparison shots.