Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 158543 times)

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures
« Reply #285 on: August 15, 2009, 11:49:34 PM »
Spudfett,

I don;t think I've commented on your work before! for that I apologise.

I love your biker gang dio, it's a creation after my own heart so I am bias with this one. I've been wanting to see if soemone was going to post something like this and you've done such an awesome job. All the bikes look so "spot on" especially set in an appropriate diorama.

All the best,

Jules

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #286 on: August 16, 2009, 05:28:21 AM »
Can't believe I missed this yesterday. Something is screwy with my unread posts every once in awhile.

This looks great Devon, I wouldn't change a thing. I reminds me of my brother's autobody shop when he was doing that for a living. I can see you have definitely been in a shop or two. The posters on the walls are sweet.  LOL, where is the Vader wants you for the Imperial Army poster? Just kidding, I don't think there is a thing you can do to improve this.  The only thing I can think of that my brother's shop had that this one didn't was a hydraulic lift. Front page bound I am.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #287 on: August 16, 2009, 04:03:38 PM »
perhaps a repulsor lift unit!?

Dangit tamer you made me remember the one thing I FORGOT!  I was going to print off a 4" "cardboard cutout" of the "vader want's you" poster and have it setting in a corner with one of the gang members throwing knives at it and shooting holes through it!  dang I can't believe I forgot to do that!

thanks for the comments guys.  It means alot that you guys like this stuff, makes the hobby worthwile to me. 

that grevious was inspired by the super art. grevious someone posted a link to on rebelscum.

I'll try to get some better close up shots of the individual figures and their bikes later this week.  I should have time tomorrow, got two days before school starts and my job for the summer at school is over and I don't know if the school's going to rehire me for anything else....  so I should have some free time for the first few weeks of school. 

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #288 on: August 16, 2009, 04:09:28 PM »
that stand up poster would be the coup de grasse, Devon. that and mabey a scale snack machine, LOL

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2009, 04:11:07 PM »
man I'm gonna have to go in there and add about 6 inches of floor onto the back wall to fit all the crap in there!  maybe I'll add another wall and another whole room that can be like the tiny little office rooms you see at garage's and make it the "hang out" room for the riders....

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #290 on: August 16, 2009, 06:34:10 PM »
Spudd, that bike shop is really awesome! All the bikes are really good looking, makes me want to go buy some swoops and make my own gang! The shop itself is really well done too, I love the fire extinguisher and the battle axe next to each other, two essential items  for any gang hideout! I think it would look really cool if on the floor, you made little blotches of gloss black that would look like oil leaks! Not sure if they use motor oil in the SW Universe, but whatever, haha. Keep up the good work!

Oh also on your tank way back on pg 15 (i think), it looks pretty good, but the camo kinda hides some of the sculpting detail (who'd have thought camo hides detail? Haha), so if you want to bring that back out and show off the sculpt of the tank, give it a little black wash. But, if you like it the way it is (since camo is meant to break up outlines after all), leave it!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #291 on: August 16, 2009, 10:24:06 PM »
honestly xv i've been thinking about completely redoing that tank.  My brushstrokes on the cammo look too much like brushstrokes! lol

maybe in an urban camo scheme?

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #292 on: August 17, 2009, 03:43:25 AM »
Shouldn't be too difficult in a black/grey/slate grey/white urban-type finish.
You might want to try cutting up a sponge and using the sponge parts to apply the camo scheme with by "printing" it on.
This should work nicely on a large vehicle like the tank.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #293 on: August 17, 2009, 06:56:36 AM »
honestly xv i've been thinking about completely redoing that tank.  My brushstrokes on the cammo look too much like brushstrokes! lol

maybe in an urban camo scheme?
you mean in tones of grey,Devon? That would look killer! I still think that a digi-camo paint scheme would look cool.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #294 on: August 17, 2009, 03:55:58 PM »
the original concept that I had for it was to make it match the kashyyyk troopers camo paint jobs but didn't get the right base coat of spray paint...  so I made up my own.  I didn't take enough time on the cammo, I rushed it and that's where the problem arrose

what I think would look killer on it would be a real tree camo application.

Clint, I don't know what digital cammo stuff your talking about, please specify!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #295 on: August 17, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
the only example I have on hand is on the bill of a usn baseball cap that I have.
basically it's just common camo colors in a pattern made up of squares or shapes made up of little squares. modern Marine BDUs have a pattern like this.
I'm sure that Doc or Commander K could rustle us up a better example.

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #296 on: August 17, 2009, 04:38:26 PM »
Modern Army ACU digital camo pattern. Google that and under pics you will find it.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #297 on: August 17, 2009, 07:59:24 PM »
Then google MARPAT for a far superior pattern  ;D ...  and then "desert digital" for another...

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #298 on: August 17, 2009, 08:04:52 PM »
Never said it was better....
Just what it was.....

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #299 on: August 17, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »
ok guys, to wet your appetite a little bit I'm gonna let you in on somthing i've got on the table with glue setting. 

I'm calling my current project the "phase III dark trooper enhancement project"

basically I'm repainting it with a darker more ominous paint job and adding a few greeblies here and there (hoses/wires/etc), I'm closing up the back pack at the bottom so that your not looking into an empty shell when you look at the figure head on, and I'm giving it a ball jointed neck.

so far i've got everything finished but the paintjob.  The ball jointed neck makes this figure 100 times better.  If i can figure out how to make it work without it looking retarted I MIGHT (and that's a big might) try to give it ball jointed hips too.