Author Topic: New, Non-Star Wars Purchases  (Read 254809 times)

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
Re: New, Non-Star Wars Purchases
« Reply #1125 on: December 31, 2019, 11:07:05 PM »
That's an awesome find by an awesome woman, indeed! Merry Christmas to you & your wife, Dan!

I didn't see this response until now LOL

Thank you, and a belated Merry Christmas (and Happy New Year) to you and yours as well!
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #1126 on: January 05, 2020, 07:57:46 PM »
Belated Saturday Mail Call!

Got a great package of parts from 2DARK2C of Joe Customs!

Visit me on Facebook!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #1127 on: January 06, 2020, 03:45:18 AM »
Cool stuff! All the mouse droids and clear acrylic stands are awesome! I could imagine your arsenal of loose parts and accessories is bigger than Hasbro's by now.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #1128 on: January 13, 2020, 05:40:39 PM »
I'm taking a break from Star Wars for a bit. I'm getting caught up on some Samurai movies I've been needing to watch. At any rate, I wanted to build some kind of Samurai custom, so I bought an Articulated icons Undying Ronin. It was 50% off on their website. https://articulatedicons.com/collections/frontpage/toys
The cool thing about these figures, they are almost knock offs of marvel and GI JOE characters. Like the Temple guard is basically Silver Samurai, the white Ninja can become Storm Shadow with a couple of decals. The modem Ninja can be made into a snake eyes with a custom head swap. If you really wanted to you could make either the Ronin or the red Samurai into a 6" GI Joe Bushido  They're pretty cool.

From the online reviews I've seen, these figures are plegued with quality control issues. As soon as I got it out of the package, I dropped him in hot water. I don't care about loose joints, but if they break that's it, end of story.  He comes with two heads, samurai and Ninja, Kabuto with two ornaments; antlers and a "U" shaped one I dropped somewhere, and two mask types. Weapon's are, two katanas, a club, a bow and arrow with quiver and a spear

The figure is excellent! No major issues. The hands tend to fall off, and the ornamental crests for the helmet (Kabuto) don't stay on, or won't go on at all. That's about it, non issues for me really. I'm a customizer.  In fact I am making a custom figure out of it. 

Which leads me to my next purchase of the day. Usagi Yojimbo volume one. I had a Usagi Yojimbo figure as a kid, and I remember seeing him on a couple episodes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon. I shrugged off the notion of a comic featuring an anthropomorphic rabbit, I thought it would be along the lines of Duck Tales or something like that. It's actually really good.  Those who are unfamiliar, the story is about a Ronin named Miyamoto Usagi Yojimbo. Miyamoto is named after Miyamoto Musashi, The best swordsman in Japanese history. Usagi means rabbit, and Yojimbo means bodyguard, also it's named after Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo. His Master Mifune (named after the actor who played in many of Kurosawa's films) is killed during a Feudal battle, Usagi cuts off his master's head, and buries it so it isn't used as a war trophy. Upon returning his whole army is slaughtered. He spends his remaining years as a wondering Ronin making whatever money he can as a bodyguard. The stories are very familiar, they are adaptations of samurai movies and legends. They're really neat stories. Now I know why they use animals as their characters, I guess seeing animals getting decapitated and dismembered is better than humans. Also it's all in black and white, which is cool , most of the good samurai movies are in black and white, plus the blood would probably make it too graphic for kids, maybe not too graphic for kids, but their parents. At any rate it's a good series.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:51:25 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #1129 on: January 14, 2020, 03:53:03 AM »
Nice. It is always great to see new af lines that can work into existing customizing too.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #1130 on: January 14, 2020, 03:07:39 PM »
Sounds good! Sometimes a little break and taking some distance brings new inspiration and motivation and most importantly: fun!
Thanks fr sharing the link! Quite a few great deals there! I had much fun reading through your article last night. As Tamer said, new/other lines are always interesting to discover! Off to new shores…

Add: I find the culture of the Samurai very interesting! I'm generally interested in Asian culture. I remember when I went on a trip to California with a group of Exchange students in 2011, the woman who guided us, bought a Samurai Sword for her husband in Chinatown of San Francisco.
He's a SEAL.
Man, you can buy all Kinds of good stuff in the U.S.
I wish you much fun with this good looking figure despite ist quality issues, but as you said, that's what customizing is all about.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:12:42 PM by Darth More »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #1131 on: January 15, 2020, 06:44:01 PM »
Sounds good! Sometimes a little break and taking some distance brings new inspiration and motivation and most importantly: fun!
Thanks fr sharing the link! Quite a few great deals there! I had much fun reading through your article last night. As Tamer said, new/other lines are always interesting to discover! Off to new shores…

Add: I find the culture of the Samurai very interesting! I'm generally interested in Asian culture. I remember when I went on a trip to California with a group of Exchange students in 2011, the woman who guided us, bought a Samurai Sword for her husband in Chinatown of San Francisco.
He's a SEAL.
Man, you can buy all Kinds of good stuff in the U.S.
I wish you much fun with this good looking figure despite ist quality issues, but as you said, that's what customizing is all about.

Yeah I got into Samurai movies through Star Wars, they're pretty compatible. I was researching movies that inspired Star Wars and started watching them. Maybe soon I'll update the movies that inspired Star wars thread. The last Jedi and the Mandolorian are based on Samurai movies.  Yeah you can get a lot of different Samurai swords here ranging from $20-$2,000 or more, what you want is the hand folded steel with full tang. Talk about home defense.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 03:56:30 AM by JDeck »

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #1132 on: February 15, 2020, 05:10:48 PM »
Got these 2 Safari Ltd. figures for FREE by answering a survey that they sent me via email :)

Visit me on Facebook!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #1133 on: February 15, 2020, 07:40:07 PM »
That one looks like something from a vampire movie. Cool though
Cool about the freebies also

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #1134 on: February 16, 2020, 06:08:13 AM »
Hey, how cool is that? Could you pick the figures? I don't know of ANY company that does something like this anymore. Times have changed quite a bit...

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #1135 on: February 17, 2020, 12:43:29 PM »
Dollar Tree DVD score!

Visit me on Facebook!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #1136 on: February 17, 2020, 06:41:17 PM »
Ok, I’ll look for that. How is it? I liked the books.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #1137 on: February 17, 2020, 07:07:43 PM »
Hahaha... I saw those too. DollarTree gets soo many movies. I end up getting 3-8 each time. They even have blu-rays of tv-shows and all kinds of random releases (boxsets-mutli disc sets- etc). They are a great source of entertainment/inspiration since they get a lot of genres. One I opened last night is called: DEAD MAN'S GUN (1997-99) somehow Henry Winkler (yup) produced a  mystical western anthology about people that find the Grim Reaper's revolver and become changed/ruined by it. Kris Kristofferson is the narrator too.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #1138 on: February 18, 2020, 03:55:16 AM »
I am gonna have to give these movies a look see. Cheap way to fill in some holes I have in my movie collection. Course everything seems to just stream nowadays.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #1139 on: March 17, 2020, 04:29:50 PM »
Tuesday Mail Call!

I got this awesome Schleich tree from a fellow collector from Canada!

Visit me on Facebook!