Author Topic: Howdy from Kobayashimaru  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Kobayashimaru

• Cadet
Howdy from Kobayashimaru
« on: August 08, 2011, 06:27:21 AM »
@All,
Well, its been a long time coming, but the Wizards of the Coast forums are sadly getting virtually zero traffic now.
Some of you might know me from over on those boards, where I was known as Kobayashimaru  ;D

Anywho, I make custom star wars minis in 38mm and ships in roughly 1:52ish scale. Ive only recently found a bunch of materials, so over the coming months/years i'll crank up the scale of projects i'll be tackling.

Above: SWM scale gunship, v1.0

Above: Custom ARC v19 project, with a stock Revell v19 as scale

Above: Custom darth vader hologram.

Just in case the image tags didnt work, you can check out my gallery here at
jorrus.deviantart.com

Hopefully more customs to follow,
Kobayashimaru

Offline Kobayashimaru

• Cadet
Re: Howdy from Kobayashimaru
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:38:33 AM »

Heres Fordo, based on an Adliv666 custom. I wish Jack Ironlightsaber Irons could re-appear and make some of his customs again...

Here's my take on Grevious, based on a Monopoly figure I saw back in 2004...

I'll be posting more photos in the days to come,
Kobayashimaru

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:48:15 AM »
Welcome to the Shipyards, Kobayashimaru.  I bet it's VERY difficult to work in such a small scale, and you do a good job at it!

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
Cool!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »
Hey is that a total scratch built LAAT? Wow.

Welcome to the Yards.

Offline Kobayashimaru

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:32:29 PM »
@All
Thank you very much for the warm reception  ;D
I was a bit worried that these forums would be as quiet as the WotC ones...

@Phatty
Thanks, It can be difficult to work with minis in this scale, but after a while (and the accumulation of equipment) you get used to it.
You should check out Jack Iron's work over on devart, he inspired me to try my hand at this hobby. His stuff is phenomenal! Its a shame though,
he's been real-world busy for the past 2+ years... but yeah, some great work from him and the others at the WotC forums.

@Tamer,
Yeah, its a completely scratch-built LAAT/i. Sorry about the fuzzy pics, I dropped my camera and it doesnt really work the same...  ???
As a version 1.0 build, im happy with how some features turned out. But there remains a lot of room for improvement, especially in the construction time and cost areas haha
Mainly, its two P-38 mustang wings attached to a toy truck chasis, with highgrade plastic lids (such as the kind found on deodorant lids, etc) for the nose and panelling. Once I fine-tune the blueprints,
I'll make a paperkura plan and put it up. Its just a bit busy real world at the moment, haha

@all, again  ;D
Btw, if you're interested in cheap scaleable craft, you should definitely check out paperkura models. They make great inexpensive additions to tabletop scenarios and RPG's
and the best part? You can re-size them to whatever scale you'd like, and take them to printing stores where they can be printed on thick plasticard  ;D
It can be cheaper than the Revell Kits, and depending on the time you have available and budget/wife constraints... it can be far more detailed too.

Kobayashimaru

Offline Kobayashimaru

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 07:16:17 AM »
@All,
does anyone have any requests/ideas for new figures in the 38mm or 1:48 scale range?
Ive got an extensive archive of photo reference, but im out of ideas/inspiration at the present.
vehicles take a long time of paper prototyping before i begin them (in some cases, a year or two... ;D )

Also, any pointers as to where I might improve my technique? Any and all constructive feedback is welcomed and encouraged =)

Kobayashimaru

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 06:29:28 AM »
Well I some how missed this thread, but I really like it! I love yoiur ability to scratch build an entire ship! WOW, hats off to you!

Offline Kobayashimaru

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:48:30 AM »
@Luke Sprywalker
Thanks! Im hoping to improve it and my upcoming ships over time...
 ;D
On a side note, I cant wait to see your next starfighters and vehicles customs. Theyre always inspiring.

@ all
I'm now completely migrated from WotC to Bloomilk (finally)
So hopefully this means more regular updates  ;D

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:03:59 PM »
I really like the paint apps they are very well done and the scratch built you've done so far is awesome keep up the great work.

Ron

Offline Kobayashimaru

• Cadet
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 07:16:58 AM »
@all
Terribly sorry for my absences here.
Real world struck big time. Ive been stopping by bloomilkistan occasionally, but customs are few and far between these days  ;D
V2 of the gunship was great! You may still find it if you google papercraft LAAT, its a czech/russian derrived net of a 3D model. Its VERY complex, but worth it. Build time of about 2-3weeks for the average skilled builder, such as myself.
It looked relatively close and everything. but remember, paper isnt waterproof  >:D
Unfortunately, there are no pictures to be had there.

I am still working on v2/v3 of the trifighter recycling project, and have since made a few novelty starfighters.
Aoshima/Dragon model kits in the 1:48/1:24 (for car kits) scales are spot on for SWM vehicles. The larger 1:16 or 1:10 kits may even be viable fodder for the 3.75" figures... time will tell.
Ive also started collecting Obitsu, super articulated. But thats another story.  ;D

All the best, and you can find me over on Bloomilk.
PS I think the paperkura links are over in the Handy FAQ thread on the Customs board at Bloomilk, if anyone wants to try making paper models over the summer