Author Topic: Helix88's Customs:UPDATE! Desert Ops Scout!  (Read 80614 times)

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
Re: Helix88's Customs:UPDATE Mando Mount WIP
« Reply #660 on: June 05, 2012, 08:59:53 PM »
That looks awesome

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #661 on: June 06, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »
Great custom and I love the clever use of a dinosaur as it's pet! very creative indeed.

Offline Helix88

• Lieutenant
« Reply #662 on: June 07, 2012, 09:18:30 AM »
i've noticed a few of you have been wondering where i got that dino, it was at Hobby Lobby and the brand was pojo

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #663 on: June 07, 2012, 06:16:44 PM »
i've noticed a few of you have been wondering where i got that dino, it was at Hobby Lobby and the brand was pojo

Thanks...there's a brand of dinosaur statuettes at my local Meijer chain that I thought you might have grabbed this from, but it didn't really match what you had.  I guess I'll be checking out HL soon... ;)

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #664 on: June 08, 2012, 01:36:10 AM »
Awesome mate, simply awesome!

Offline Helix88

• Lieutenant
« Reply #665 on: June 08, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »
i messed up the name of the dinosaur toy, it's a papo allosaurus

Offline Helix88

• Lieutenant
« Reply #666 on: July 30, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »
Sorry for the wait,work got really hectic for a while there, but now she's all finished and out for a ride! Her name is "Drooga" a mount for my madolorian ranger, think of her as a Labrador trapped in a dinos body. the base is a Papo Allosaurus with a beak and accentuated crests sculpted on with "green stuff". Added articulation at the wrists, elbows, and shoulders. the saddle, also green stuff, has added greebleis and a rifle scabbard, and wire accents the straps  are some scrap vinyl with working D ring sinch out of craft wire. The paint work was a bitch, lots of washes and dry-brushing. Let me know what you think!

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
Re: Helix88's Customs:UPDATE Mando Mount Finished!!
« Reply #667 on: July 30, 2012, 10:23:39 PM »
That is one AWSOME ride!  Where did you get the dino to begin with?

Offline Helix88

• Lieutenant
« Reply #668 on: July 30, 2012, 11:27:02 PM »
That is one AWSOME ride!  Where did you get the dino to begin with?
i think it was at a hobby lobby, yeah probably a hobby lobby

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #669 on: July 31, 2012, 05:16:06 AM »
Now that is one of the coolest rides I have seen for a Mando in awhile. Awesome work.

Reminds me of that first time I saw Boba on that Holiday Special Cartoon riding that Brontosaurus look dino. Back on the front page.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #670 on: July 31, 2012, 07:08:12 AM »
I have been waiting to see how this one would turn out when you were finished and, let me tell you, you don't disappoint!  As a huge creature fan, this has got to be one of the coolest-looking creations I've seen.  Your work has really paid off in a very big way!

The paint details appear immaculately done: dulled, dirty, and very realistic.  I particularly am impressed, though, with the articulation you added to the wrists/forearms.  If you don't mind sharing, what approach did you take to adding the articulation?  What pieces were involved?

Phenomenal work!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Helix88

• Lieutenant
« Reply #671 on: July 31, 2012, 09:31:39 AM »
I particularly am impressed, though, with the articulation you added to the wrists/forearms.  If you don't mind sharing, what approach did you take to adding the articulation?  What pieces were involved?

Phenomenal work!

i basicly cut the arms off at the shoulder and cut thte fused joints out of the arm itself. Drilled holes on the end of each peice with a dremmel tool for the stem of the joint and hollowed a shallow bowl at the opening so a ball joint can recess into the depression slightly. found an appropriatly sized ball joint for each point of articulation and cut them off so there would be a flat surface to glue the bal joints on to, the stems where shaved down so that they are a simple peg with a slight flare on the end, the longer the better, and test fit and adjust throughout the prosses when youve got them all together its time for  some green stuff to cover the seams and imperfections then paint it all up to match

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #672 on: July 31, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »
i basicly cut the arms off at the shoulder and cut thte fused joints out of the arm itself. Drilled holes on the end of each peice with a dremmel tool for the stem of the joint and hollowed a shallow bowl at the opening so a ball joint can recess into the depression slightly. found an appropriatly sized ball joint for each point of articulation and cut them off so there would be a flat surface to glue the bal joints on to, the stems where shaved down so that they are a simple peg with a slight flare on the end, the longer the better, and test fit and adjust throughout the prosses when youve got them all together its time for  some green stuff to cover the seams and imperfections then paint it all up to match

Thanks for the details!  I wasn't sure if you happened to find ball-joint dinosaur arms or if you crafted them yourself.  I appreciate the info!

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #673 on: July 31, 2012, 11:01:28 AM »
That look's great!
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline remus

• Ensign
  • The ONE who disobayed orders
« Reply #674 on: July 31, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »
just a teaser for the finalized version, but i may post more WIP shots as well, its all ready to paint and should be done in the next few days

what did you use to articulate the arms