Imperial Creative Engineering > Custom Figures

Custom Battle Droid 00M-9

(1/42) > >>

krztfr:
My first Star Wars custom....an upgraged Swoop Biker from SOTE I'm running into two problems I figure I would ask you guys...

android 244 by christopher242006, on Flickr
android 239 by christopher242006, on Flickr
the helmet is still alittle too small to fully go over the Trooper head but looks good on the Gi joe head however gi joe head is too small for the tropper balljoint...How would I fix that?
android 240 by christopher242006, on Flickr
android 241 by christopher242006, on Flickr Also has alittle gap between upper and lower torsoe...how would I fix that
android 245 by christopher242006, on Flickr

ActionFigEmpire:
Hey Krztfr, firstly let me just say this is an excellent project and not the easiest undertaking by any means. You've got a great start on it! I always loved that swoop trooper and his swoop, tho the neck joint on mine eventually became loose :(

As for fixing your helmet sizing issues, your first option would be to dremel the helmet deeper to accommodate the head. Or you could sand the head down and repaint it. Another option would be to go with your Joe head, cut a small, thin plastic rectangle about a 3rd of a centimeter, and wrap it inside the opening of the head. Glue it horizontally wrapping it into the "bell" of the head. This way it'll act as a buffer to make the space to receive the neck tighter. I use that trick all the time, works great :)

Another option still would be to find a better fitting head if you have enough heads to look through. The 2 heads you have are nice because they sport the balaclava that probably the swooper would wear under his helmet, as most stormies do.

And if you don't want the helmet to come off, you could cut the stormtrooper head down (probably lop off a bit of the crown of the head, sand it) and glue it into the Swoop helmet and use another un-helmeted head when you want him to take off the helmet. Thus having two heads. I use this trick too.

Hope that helps!

krztfr:
Thanx Actionfigempire I thought about the "cheat" and making two seperate heads one helmeted and one nonhelmet but I really want to try to make helmet usuable as much as possible....

action shots

Wookie-Balls:
Good work there mate! My next Shadows Of the Empire update is also a Swoop and rider (I'm going for a more 'Bandit' look rather than a trooper though!

Love what you're doing so far! have you taken the (rubbish) rocket launcher of the swoop to replace it with something else? I've used a pair og Joe backpacks as saddle bas on mine!

Really good to see another "Shadows" customizer on here  ;D

All the best,

Ray

spudafett:
WOW excellent project!  I'm so glad someone else is doing torso swaps with joes.

What torso are you using for the lower half?  It's probably not fitting very flush into the chest joint, and is why your getting that gap.  I would suggest looking for other suitable lower torsos. 
One I have tried using in the past for the storm trooper chest is the lower half of a Rise of Cobra Viper.

imho the figure looks good, but the lower torso you've used looks a little long for the figure, making him kind of lanky and tall...  but, it might be the best fitting joint that you'll find for that chest half.

as for the head, that is super simple.

I think AFE was a bit confused, thinking that the ball was too small for the joe head...  where your problem is actually the opposite.

The socket of the GI-JOE heads are all uniform, and much smaller than most star wars ball joints. 

How good are you with a dremel? (I'm assuming pretty good since you hollowed out that swoop rider helmet!)

What you'll need to do is take your dremel and carefully hollow out the ball socket on the gi-joe head until it fits over the ball joint of the star wars neck.  Make sense?

can't wait to see this project completed.  Great job!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version