Author Topic: Screaming Samurai Studio Modeler's Bench  (Read 21658 times)

Offline ScreamingSamuraiStudio

• Lieutenant
Re: Screaming Samurai Studio Modeler's Bench
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 04:02:07 AM »
I also picked this up to fill out the background of my smuggler's hangar bay and waiting for another Horten Go to show up to the shop.

I also picked these 1/35 Jerry cans to pose as cargo containers that will litter the Falcon and the surrounding area near the storage units of the diorama.

While waiting for something to dry, I decided to add a little more depth to an older build..I think this was the first star wars kit I did when I initially got back into the hobby after my son picked up the hobby. This one sat on a window sill in what has now become the nursery..but the cats never liked this. After repeated crashes from the window sill it has a missing end cap for the engines...so now..it's battle damaged.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »
Mate I totally love what you are doing so far and the paint apps are brillant. I can't wait to see more.

Ron

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 08:34:33 PM »
Hey there, Ron
  As always, thanks for the nod.

I've been keeping a snail's pace on this one for a bit. I had to get some time to actually sit and cut a video while working on this one and I have..Just waiting on my son to get it all together after homework.

What I have done, so far, is just finishing up the painting and weathering on the engine wells all along the hull. With those in place I can actually get some more painting done on the outer hull. The landing gear has been installed..and I discovered a serious brain fart and realized that I glued in the gear on the opposite ends..But I think I can hide that with the tubing I still plan on installing.

I also have been spending some time on the actual diorama set piece for the Falcon. I already have some Styrofoam boxing material for the door and the foam core for the base. As well as a couple of 1/72 scale WWII German Horten Go fighters to pose as some quasi-fictional naboo pirate fighters.

Hopefully, by Wednesday there should be a video to go along with this little update. But from here on out, there will be some time spent on threading up the fiber optic strands to their color LEDs and painting the outer hull panels before weathering it all.
  As a side note, I will be working on this and doing another video this Wednesday at Hobbytown as part of the Bench Warmer Society..A new Sci-Fi Modeling club in San Antonio starting up guerrilla style.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 12:59:36 AM »
Yet another great little update buddy, I'm keeping my on this very closely indeed.

Ron

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 05:01:04 AM »
Don't know how I missed your previous update but that Y-Wing looks amazing! Great update on the Falcon progress and I can't wait to see the fiber optics in that baby!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 08:02:45 AM »
Those fighters are just PERFECT for the role!!  Too bad they aren't available in a/fig scale  :P

ETAsk: Are you using the Revell model or the PM model?  (Yes, you've intrigued me enough to go look them up on ebay!)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:12:21 AM by DocOutlands »

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 07:24:06 AM »
Those fighters are just PERFECT for the role!!  Too bad they aren't available in a/fig scale  :P

ETAsk: Are you using the Revell model or the PM model?  (Yes, you've intrigued me enough to go look them up on ebay!)

Hey, Doc
  I am using the Revel Kit #4312. While it has a lot of nice detail, there are some parts that, once installed you don't quite get to see, but overall it is a nice kit. I just looked up the PM models version of the kit yesterday and noticed a few inaccuracies that kind of take away from the actual design of the fighter...and raised panel lines, but what do you expect out of an 8 dollar kit. The upside to the PM models versions..there are two..a two seater and a one seater.

Still I have another Revell kit on the shelf waiting to be converted into a Clone Wars era bomber...a Heinkel Ho.

But tonight, I have another meeting for the Bench Warmer Society And another installment of the Millennium Falcon Build to get in the can for YouTube. I already have one video where I basically give a quick demo on how I get that "spanish iron" look to all of my metal parts. Aside from the painting the most daunting task is to get all of the lighting installed...which is probably more of a chore these days than anything.

As always, I thank everyone who simply stops by and takes a look at what I've been working on.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 08:54:38 AM »
A two-seater version would definitely be interesting.  And that bomber is gonna fit right in, too.  So are you gonna light up the fighters or just the Falcon?  And since the fighters are gonna be Naboovian, are you gonna finish them in bare-metal silver a la the Royal Starship et al or are you figuring to take the N-1 paint-scheme approach?  Or something new altogether?

I spent last summer working on a pipeline project about an hour south of S/A.  If I had known that was your stomping-grounds, we'd'a got together to loot the hobby stores!

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 06:35:54 AM »
Alrighty guys..

I actually have a video in the can, my son put his finishing touches on the video and we posted it to my YouTube page.

Again, more of a tutorial on what I've done to get the look of the metal parts in the Falcon.

And to answer you question, Doc.
  The Hortens, I think I'm going to paint them in a scheme similar to the N-1 fighter, but the Heinkel 111 I'm going to paint that in a chrome finish similar to the shuttles Amidala sports. But for the purpose of the diorama, I think the Hortens will look more like re-purposed naboo fighters being used by smugglers.
  And I hope you didn't have to work on that Pipeline in the summer..cause that would have been brutal.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 06:03:43 PM »
Hey there,
  I got some stuff done today on one of the Hortens, I still have one more completely untouched in the box and will start that one once I have the lighting finished on the Falcon. Tonight I plan on finishing up the flood lights on the Falcon and try to get those fixed into the model. Progress is still slow between work and just trying to get things around the house ready for the new kid.
  One of my next projects is to make his mobile for the crib..I'll be using Revell pocket kits for that. AnYWAY...on to the pics. I went with a scheme similar to the N-1 Fighter..I still have to fix the cockpit glass on and start weathering this up to look like a beaten smuggler fighter.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 07:40:30 AM »
WOW! That is a really cool looking bird! Looking great so far and can't wait to see where you take this one!

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 07:20:38 AM »
Hey there,

Looks like Spooky and I get to run amok here in this forum, But I do have a little more progress on the Falcon itself. Tonight, I may actually start working on the lighting for the panels on the interior so I can go ahead and glue in the piece. But anywhooo..
  I have started the detailing out the various panels on the top side. The problem is that I weathered the cutaway part of the outer hull over two months ago and now I need to match what I've done.
 So as a tip for others out there...don't do what I do. It just makes things a little more complicated but always interesting.

And after the first subtractive wash.

Well, that's all I've got for today. For all of you out there I hope you have a great Thanksgiving..well to all of my fellow Americans anyway..but the general good karma goes out to everyone across the world here at the Shipyards. You have a great holiday and will jump back into it again.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 07:57:41 AM »
Very nice work Michael! It is amazing how much better things look with the first wash. Can't wait to see more lights in that bird!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2011, 10:38:08 AM »
Terrific work!  That Horten is really coming together as a believable addition with that paint-job.  And the Falcon's weathering, oh man alive!  Just fabulous!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 11:31:05 AM »
I love that Horton! Makes me want to break out one of my forgotten kit projects.
The Falcon is turning out over the top!