Author Topic: Doc Outland's Custom Figures (updated 3/26/14)  (Read 46190 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Doc Outland's Custom Figures
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 09:41:39 PM »
Poor Brendan, having to sacrifice parts up all of a sudden like that. I'll bet that your to-mold parts list will just keep growing bigger and bigger.

I was thinking of molding a gunship front gun barrel as I am short one and figure the ebayers would like it.
Also, after looking at the engineering neccecities for the training armor mold to work, I picked up the concept snowie and noticed the interesting over the head chest and back detail that he had. The over the head armor on the skinny space trooper would be a winner also. I may try to do that one. I have a couple of training clones so may mold two at once. That would make it easier to reach that 24 casted pieces and would make the chances of at least one working mold that much better. The piece is wider than a cigarette pack will allow so I might have to come up with something else. We shall see. i dont think the snowies helmet will be hard.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
Awrighty!!  Thanks a BUNCH for that info!  The bad part is the inside of the Labria cape is *smoooooooooth*!  No wrinkles at all.  That's ok, I can tweak things.  Heck, it might be time to try and create a paper-mache headwrap and just create the wrinkles and folds wholesale.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2009, 08:01:03 AM »
As for Brendan - he keeps his figs stored disassembled - all helmets over here, capes there, belts in this, backpacks in that...    ???   He just started grabbing storage boxes and handing parts as called for.  He loves watching my ideas take form.

You know, I was thinking (DUCK!!) last night about cloaks that are smooth on the inside but have nice folds on the out.  I thought about making a cast of the outside of the cloak so I could have an "inside" to work the tissue into.  Then when it all dries and IF it peels loose without tearing, presto - a tissue cape with folds on its outside.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »
Sounds interesting about the cloak mold. I will take 3, please............
  I like that Brendan seperates his figures like that. He has the heart of a custom guy. One can tell.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »
Couple of pics tonight.  First up is a "random Jedi chick."  Simple headswap introduces a whole new figure.  Head is from the McStarkiller, everything else is a comicpack Leia.

Second is an Otoga 222 pit-droid pair.  The one on the right is untouched, the one on the left was painted with Krylon's Fusion Burgandy.  This was basically a paint-app test to see how the non-ultra-flat paint would go on.  I'll be doing up a docking-bay team of droids for the Yakfinities #29 "Teams" contest, with a 222 managing several other service droids.  They'll be in company livery - the Burgandy base with some sort of contrasting bright color for accent - like a sunshine-yellow swoosh.  We'll see.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 10:36:14 PM »
Nice pics, doc! I like that burgandy. It will look sharp with the accent color, as you said.
  I just got done doing the prep work for the training armor chest piece. It was a pain and took a while but I think that I have covered all the bases with it. I will shoot some pics of it, tomorrow before I pour the mold.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 05:04:53 AM »
It just goes to show you that Hasbro could include a few different pack in with one regular fig (like an extra head) to give more play oppurtunity. Great work. I love different Jedis too. Looks like the paint on the pit droid worked out great too.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 12:55:45 PM »
Hasbro could include a few different pack in with one regular fig (like an extra head) to give more play oppurtunity.

Seriously - I mean, they did it with the Armored General Obi-Wan CW fig - swappable head and helmet.  Hello, Hasbro - do it again!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 04:34:39 PM »
Good point there. We can only hope their hyprocracy knows some limits.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »
hey doc, I wanted to throw you a bit of info. Apparently that high strength 3 has a limited shelf life as the end of my jar went bad on me, today. I had it all mixed with the cataylist and was about to start loading a mold box and I could just tell that it wasnt pouring right. The consistancy was wrong for some reason.  I canceled the pour and 30 min later, it set up on me. Not 3 days, 30 min.
either it got too cold in the basement, this winter or, it was too old. I reccomend that you dont hold onto a jar any longer than 6 months. Pour that stuff into molds, my man, don't sit on it.
  I have some molds to pour tomorrow. I will post about it in my casting thread.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »
Roger, chief!  Thanks for the warning - wifey would hate for me to waste the money by not using the stuff up fast enough.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »
Started another droid yesterday - took one of the yellow "vacuum cleaner" Naboo Accessory droids and painted it Burgandy to match the pit-droid.  Totally disassembled it, just to make sure.  Letting it dry some more before I put on the contrasting "swoosh." 

So today - I got some gray primer Rust-o-leum instead of Krylon - I wasn't paying attention - and a Krylon Metallic Blue.  Here's the results.  Fig1 is the sacrificial POTF2 4LOM.  He appears to have taken the primer well.

Fig2 is the Skyhawk testbed.  The tail shows the brown hammered texture, applied straight.  The forward fuselage shows today's Metallic Blue.

(apologies if these pics are less than my normal quality - I took quick shots in the fading light with my cellphone.)

I figure the 4LOM will get the metallic blue treatment for his base color.  So far, I'm pleased with how the paints I've grabbed are turning out!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2009, 07:12:50 PM »
I like that blue, buddy. Looks like that spray-on primer is sticking pretty good. Is the surface texture fairly smooth?

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2009, 08:04:50 PM »
It is definitely a smooth finish, for sure.  It seems to need a longer cure time than I would have thought, though, with a bit of tackiness still evident.  I suppose I'll give it something close to 24hrs and then see what I can do with him.  I'm wondering if Krylon primer would have been a better choice, as the metallic blue is already dry with no tackiness.  I'm liking the Krylon colors.

In fact, I'm thinking about using the metallic blue as the "swoosh" color on top of the burgandy, for my docking-bay service crew.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2009, 08:39:46 PM »
sounds good, buddy! You are in production!