Author Topic: StarAlien70's custom figures  (Read 102219 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: StarAlien70's custom figures
« Reply #405 on: March 29, 2021, 03:06:57 AM »
Wow, love all the combinations you have come up with for that Hoth Trooper. Now you can have all kinds of variation. Nice.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
  • Happy 40th Anniversary, TESB!
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #406 on: March 29, 2021, 03:30:55 AM »
Aphra is still my favorite, she looks like the 6" version scaled down. It's such a shame that Hasbro didn't make the single card release with a removable hat, instead of a sloppy repack of the Special Figure Set. How did you make her hair then? Is it sculpted and the hat drilled out? She looks amazing!

Thanks, glad you like them.
I took off the original hat w/hair piece from the head and cut off the hair pieces - I left a little bit of the hair at the ends of the hat flaps and painted them as though they were straps - then dremeled out the inside of the hat to make it thinner. The new hair piece is taken off a Marvel Infinites Emma Frost (I used this one mainly because I had spares, but I had to thin it quite a lot, there may be other hair pieces that are already a bit thinner and don't need as much taking off), I dremeled it on the inside and out, then cut hair texture back into the surface, repainted and glued it to the Dr Aphra head.
Hope that helps.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #407 on: March 29, 2021, 04:57:31 AM »
Thank you so much for this detailed description! Meanwhile I have several loose Aphra figures so I'll probably try this recipe!

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #408 on: March 29, 2021, 02:29:25 PM »
Thanks for your comments. Here's just a few images of the Luke & Han Hoth customs I have done. More to follow with descriptions.

6" TBS Archive Luke Hoth with long soft goods scarf and alternate faces.
6" TBS Archive Han Hoth with soft goods hood, scarf and removable cap.

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
« Reply #409 on: March 29, 2021, 05:00:05 PM »
So much good stuff I've missed.  Aphra and the Wookiee bounty hunter, the six inch Hoth crew and Mara Jade are just stellar!
I dabble in the Star Wars Universe of Toys... I rip apart little plastic people and turn them into other plastic people. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them.

Customjedi on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/customjedi

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #410 on: March 30, 2021, 02:55:21 AM »
You are coming up with some great head combinations on these Hoth Customs.

Off to share these on the front pages too.

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #411 on: March 31, 2021, 09:11:51 AM »
Thanks all for your comments and likes and thanks for the shares Tamer.

6" TBS Archive Luke Hoth with soft goods scarf and alternate faces.

The mod on Luke started with me just wanting to do a better scarf that wraps around the cap and use the goggles from the Hoth Trooper, but as always it got a bit more complicated...

I used the idea of the Hoth Trooper's alternate faces to modify the Luke head. The clean face is cut from a 6" TBS Luke Snowspeeder (which I had previously taken off to put a Luke Bespin head on). I cut some off the peak of the cap to reshape it and replaced the cap radio with one from the Hoth Trooper. I added a piece to the neck that was cut from a 3.75" TVC 116 Rey Jakku scarf head. Goggles from 6" TBS Hoth Trooper with elastic replaced and slightly modified to fit over the nose better.

The 'Wampa Attack' face is the existing Luke Hoth face, cut off to make into an alternate face and repainted. The top of the cap can be taken off to swap the face. I cut a slot at the back of this to thread the length of new material through (this was the best colour I could find for material that doesn't fray, but I would like to find a lighter brown).

Details of the Han Hoth custom to follow soon...

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #412 on: March 31, 2021, 10:55:43 PM »
Wow! Absolutely excellent updates! These are great ways to get some variation.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #413 on: April 01, 2021, 02:55:44 AM »
Wow that Luke is great. Love the roughed up version after the Wampa got a hold of him.

Off to share this on the front pages.

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #414 on: April 02, 2021, 07:45:59 AM »
Thanks again for your comments. Here's the details of the 6" TBS Archive Han Hoth with soft goods hood, scarf and removable cap.

The mod on Han started with me just wanting to make the existing plastic hood fit better, but as always...

The soft goods hood was made using material from a Jedi robe (Possibly TVC Obi-Wan). I made it so it slots over the neck peg which keeps it in place, and can also be taken off easily. I glued small bits of fur to the hood. The Jedi robe material used for the hood is quite a reddish-brown compared to the jacket, which is what prompted me to weather the jacket and disguise the colour difference. I didn't want to put too much snow effect on the hood though and risk making it stiff. Soft goods scarf is the same type of strip material I used on Luke's (I also used this material on the 3.75" versions I did a few years ago), I cut a small slot in the front of the jacket to push the scarf into. Removable cap is made from a hollowed out Hoth Trooper head (I used the face mount from this on the Luke Hoth head custom) with the scarf elements cut away and the top and bottom pieces glued together. Existing goggles have been cut out to resemble Han's goggles shape a bit more and covered with a clear piece cut from TVC figure packaging, then added white elastic. Plastic scarf neck piece from Hoth Trooper. The existing Han Hoth head from this figure is what I used on the Hoth Trooper custom with the all-over head scarf.

The head is from the Comic Con Han & Leia Hoth 2-pack (which I recently got 2 of at quite a reasonable price), an alternative would be the 40th Han Bespin head, but I used the 2-pack version as it's a bit paler which suited this better. I took the hair off and thinned it out on the inside to make it a bit slimmer to fit the cap I had made, then glued the hair back on.

Slightly repainted electrobinoculars fitted with synthetic leather strap.

Han's scanner/transmitter is pulled off the Tauntaun saddle (why did they basically make an accessory then glue it to the saddle?), I made a panel to fill the gap left on one side and added greeblies from bits of plastic and used pins for antennas. Straps are made from painted ribbon.

Feel free to ask if anything in that description was a bit confusing.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #415 on: April 03, 2021, 05:45:44 AM »
Wow. The soft goods hood alone is awesome, but all those accessories are just fantastic too. Wow, this is a great Hoth Han.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
« Reply #416 on: April 04, 2021, 01:31:22 PM »
These are great updates!
I dabble in the Star Wars Universe of Toys... I rip apart little plastic people and turn them into other plastic people. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them.

Customjedi on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/customjedi

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #417 on: April 05, 2021, 10:35:46 PM »
Han looks great. I really like the work you did on the scanner. I don't do the 6" but you're right, its really too bad when there a perfectly good accessory rendered unusable because it is glued somewhere.

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #418 on: April 06, 2021, 03:56:21 PM »
Thank you so much for the comments everyone. Glad you liked the Hoth customs.

Nothing new just yet, I'm currently working on a 6" Luke [Myrkr Capture] from 'Heir To The Empire' to go with the Mara Jade I did - which I have also done a soft goods cowl for.

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #419 on: November 01, 2021, 01:43:46 PM »
Finally got round to taking some photos of the custom 6" Mara Jade & Luke Skywalker from Heir To The Empire.
Mara Jade soft goods cowl made from chamois leather (added to the figure first shown here: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=9737.msg223920#msg223920 )

Luke Skywalker (Myrkr Capture): 6" TBS 40th Anniversary Luke Dagobah with repainted legs and head from 6" TBS Luke Endor. Cut up pieces from 6" TBS 22 Jyn Erso headscarf with the plastic hood cut from ROTS-28 Anakin cloak to make waist overalls section.