Author Topic: Rubber casting.  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Arc-1776

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
Rubber casting.
« on: July 07, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »
hello, how would I go about casting a helmet in that plastic rubber they seem to be made of? I'm not a fan of resin for this application, I'm used to working with it, but some of the details are too thin on 3.75 scale to re-create in resin I think and not break while in storage.

Additionally any tips on how to make a realistic style phase 1.5 arc trooper helmet with the fins and all?  Or even just a phase 2 finned helmet. I shan't pretend to be a great sculptor, but I could get by blending parts.

Do I cut off the top of a phase 1 and stick it on a phase 2, do I just remove and attach the finn itself? Should I do it on a rubber helmet like I was planning, or a hard palstic head?

Advice please.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Rubber casting.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:14:15 PM »
Hi and welcome aboard! I’m actually working on the exact same thing at the moment. I usually work with resin to cast parts, but right now I’m looking for an alternative material for parts I only need once.

So far I ordered blue stuff, but it hasn’t arrived yet. I will make molds with this molding clay. As casting material I decided to use two component epoxy clay. I never worked with epoxy modeling clay before and still need to find out how hard it cures. The Epo Putty arrived today. It’s not the cheapest with about $80 per kilogram. And it’s actually a very efficient two component adhesive. I saw a guy on YouTube who uses it as modeling clay and recommends it. Another epoxy modeling clay comes from Milliput.
You can find tutorials on both blue stuff and epoxy clay on YouTube.

Now, I have no experience or knowledge on the production of rubber. Therefore I also don’t know which material Hasbro use for the Clone Trooper helmets. If you don’t want to use resin for casting, these videos might help you. If you live in the U.S. you’ll easily find the used material.
What I can is recommend silicone to you for making the molds.

The rubber used in the video is also based on two components. I’m sure there is also a softener or hardener for such rubbers that can be added to adjust the consistency of the cured product.

I will let you know as soon as I find out more. As I said I’m looking for other materials than resin at the moment, too, and keep your request in mind.

The combination of these two videos might be helpful to you:

I just found this channel myself after reading your post. This puppet is a little weird, but this guy knows a lot and has many more videos on his channel.

Best regards from Germany!

- Philipp

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 02:42:52 PM »
There are two more modeling clays that I forgot to mention: Green Stuff and Apoxie Sculpt. Aloxie sculpt cures extremely hard and durable as far as I know. Green Stuff might cure a little softer.

As far as I know Hasbro uses PVC for their action figures. I try to get in to touch with my buddies who work in the chemical industry to find out how that works. I’m sure there is a way to reproduce such parts in cold curing polymers. The industry mostly works with hot curing polymers. Machines for these processes are just not affordable for private purposes.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 05:46:27 AM »
Two days ago, legendary The Crafts Man shared another video on his YouTube channel that I definitely wanted to share on here. And I think your thread is the perfect place to do so! I hope you’ll watch this - it’s excellent and might be exactly what you were looking for!
Please, let us know.

- Philipp
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:19:04 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 02:58:14 AM »
Thanks for posting this Darth More. I will get it on the front pages. Neat info.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 03:26:42 AM »
You're welcome, Tamer! Hope this was helpful to Arc-1776, too!?

TheCrafsMan posted another video on this topic, yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzsjHlc0WRwZYwlinsmtM4w

Make sure to subscribe to his channel if you haven't already!

The time around he shares his thoughts about sculpting using Monster Clay and Castilene:

Double-click for full screen view. You can minimize the video afterwards to watch it imbedded on here, again.

He also shares a very interesting book, which I didn't know before. I just love his videos and the style he makes them. Always good laughs and a joyfull time listening to him.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:28:25 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 03:52:35 AM »
Nice, off to the front pages.