Author Topic: old Restoration topic  (Read 79953 times)

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
Re: Vintage Millenium Falcon restoration completed!!!
« Reply #315 on: November 04, 2012, 08:33:05 AM »
Hey lads,

Thanks for all the kind words and FP for the Falcon. It was a real labour of love restoring her back to her current condition.

In fact it probably would have been cheaper to buy a loose complete one - but that's not my bag. I enjoy restoring my own toys that I loved as a child - the sentimental value far outweighing the cost of the restoration! All in all I used 5 x Tamiya rattle cans and two A4 sheets of stickers - plus all of the missing Falcon parts...

I've just got my 4 year old nephew into Star Wars and he's inherited all the POTF2 stuff I collected at college but he doesn't have a Falcon, so I may well do another one for his growing collection!

Jay, Chad, Shawn and Art - thanks guys for your continued great feedback and the FPs

Roger, Ghost, Tankster and Drod - cheers guys it very kind of you all to leave such positive comments!

Spooky - that really is one of the nicest compliments that I've been paid here on ISY, especially when I take into account all the great work that is posted on here daily :)

Next up for the restoration front? Two Tauntauns with riders...

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #316 on: November 05, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Ray she looks fantastic! A lobor of love, indeed. All of your hard work has paid off in the end, she is minty mate!

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #317 on: December 28, 2012, 07:06:50 AM »
Hey chaps,

I'm glad you enjoyed the restoration of my childhood Falcon.

I've finally got my next projects lined up for the New Year, and it's the Imps  who will be getting some TLC!

I've got my hands on a beater vintage white TIE Fighter, a knackered Vader's TIE Advanced and still have my childhood ATAT and ATST to work on! Oh and I'm also going to retro fit a TIE Bomber vintage Kenner style!

So stay tuned for more and happy holidays to you all!!!

WB Out!!

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
Re: Ray's Vintage ESB restoration project continues!!
« Reply #318 on: January 30, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »
This lot turned up today - cost me about ten bucks in total!!

Can't wait to complete these...

I always wanted the Dagobah playset as a kid - now I just have to find the missing parts!

More soon,

WB Out!!

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #319 on: January 30, 2013, 06:44:31 PM »
Very cool! I got the dagobah playset on my last bday for 20 bucks, I tracked down the parts on eBay an they only cost me 7 bucks, but the most difficult part to find is the round cylinder that lifts r2-d2 into the air, still looking for that one though lol. there is a guy on eBay that makes an awesome repro swamp for this set
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:46:41 PM by ghostskull18 »

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #320 on: February 03, 2013, 06:58:13 AM »
Holy Bantha, Ray! That Falcon looks like it just got spotted at a '77 toy fair! Wow, I am impressed, very much. And what a great shot of those Stormtroopers standing guard in front of her.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #321 on: February 06, 2013, 03:43:34 AM »
Thanks for the home ads up ghost! Tamer is helping me track down this missing parts that I need!

These little blighters arrived this morning - they actually cost me more than the bloody playset!!

I just need one of the circular figure bases now and the playset will be complete (thanks again Shawn!)

Oh and Remco, cheers for the feedback re my Falcon! She has pride of place on my shelf at the moment - couldn't resist digging out my stormies for that shot!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #322 on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:35 AM »
You are quite welcome. Looks like all of em have shipped so hopefully I can get them sent on their way soon and we can see what you do with this.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #323 on: February 08, 2013, 06:31:51 AM »
Hey Guys!

I've just managed to get hold of the silver R2 cylinder for my Dagobah set, meaning all that's left to find is one circular figure stand. I've wanted one of these Playsets for years...

This will be truly an international project with parts coming from the UK, US and Germany to complete the playset!!!!!

And once the latest pay cheque rolls in I'll be working up some of those old tired Minirigs too - as I've completed my collection of ESB rig decal scans.

WB Out!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #324 on: February 08, 2013, 08:49:43 AM »
I can't wait to see all this stuff completed. As soon as I get the parts for your Degobah Playset, I will mail em asap.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #325 on: February 11, 2013, 07:29:06 AM »
Looking good Ray! Man I would love to get some cast of those 2 boxes! Best of luck with this on.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #326 on: February 13, 2013, 12:31:53 PM »
My Artoo adapter arrived today and I've sourced another circular stand so all of the parts are now on way to me! I've even got the blue backpack. Once they all arrive I'll get snapping!

LE, I'm sure we could sort something out mate - you're casting parts now aren't you?

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #327 on: February 14, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »
Yes I am! Just for myself but willing to help friends out if when I can. I have a friend Phillip M Scott that is a great caster in the UK.

Offline Ninco

• Cadet
« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »
Hi WB,

Your Millennium Falcon is awesome!

During a recent clear out of my parent’s loft, my parents dug out my old Star Wars spaceships.  Talk about excited - I was over the moon! Upon opening the dusty old cardboard box my ships had for the last 25 years suffered quite badly.

In particular, the Millennium Falcon, I am however, faced with the same dilemma, it suffers from a serious case of yellowing (beyond a bath of bleach) so I am now considering a total repaint.  You mention that you re-sprayed your Falcon using Tamiya colours – I hope you don’t mind me asking but which colour did you use in the end?

I am thinking about White although, the Falcon from memory was an off-white, so any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance,

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #329 on: February 17, 2013, 02:15:26 AM »
Hi Ninco

And welcome to The Yards! To simulate the vintage Kenner 'off white' I use Tamiya insignia white (AS20)about two and a half cans should do the trick.

To seal after painting I then use semi gloss clear (TS-79) about one and a half cans worked for me...

Now I didn't undercoat/prime my Falcon - I just used lots of light coats, allowing them to dry between - this stopped any paint pooling in the recessed areas.

The softer plastic of the side panels, radar dish and canopy will not take paint well, if yours are very yellowed then I would suggest placing them in a glass jar of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide (food grade) for at least 24 hours in direct sunlight, however you'll need to keep an eye on them if you do this and take care with the chemicals!

It's a risk you take when you attempt a restoration like this, but mine worked out a treat!! Best of luck,

Ray