Imperial Creative Engineering > Models, Scratch Builds, and Miscellaneous

Phatty's Train Set!

(1/2) > >>

Phatty:
When I was about 10, I got a pretty big train set for Christmas.  It was large enough to cover a full size pool table, and was very detailed.  I loved that thing.  I'd come home from school and start it up and watch it travel around, check out all the cool people and buildings that were in it.  Then, one day, I came home from school and it was gone.  My dad had decided that the family needed money, and chose to sell my train set.  Oddly enough, the very next week, he got 2 brand new fishing poles outfitted for catching musky.  Nice, I know.  So, I've always said that once I get a house of my own with a basement, I'm going to build a train set.  Well, for Christmas this year, my wife bought me a starter set, so now I am building the table for it to go on.

I went and bought 3, 2x4x96" studs and 4, 28" ornate table legs, with hardware.  I bought stain in the shade of Gunstock to stain it all.  Today, I've taken wood filler and filled in all of the dips, cracks, and knot holes in the studs, then sanded them down.  I put them off to the side and stained the legs.  Tomorrow, I'm going with my parents to pick up a sheet of plywood that I'll prime with a light grey color.  Then I can cut the studs to size, mount the legs, and begin to sketch the layout to my train set! 

I was really wanting to go with a Star Wars theme to it, but they don't make any Star Wars items in the "HO" scale.  I thought about the Star Wars miniatures, but they're still bigger in scale.  Still, I may pepper the scenery with them as  I can collect them.  So, anyone who has Star Wars miniatures and looking to unload them, hit me up with a PM and I'll make you an offer!

Here's the shots of my table legs thus far.

Phatty:
Ok, I've finished my train table!  I have the legs mounted, the supports mounted to the table top and legs, all of them stained and varnished, and table top primed.  All I have to do now is sketch out what I want on there and where it'll all go, and then start placing parts, piece by piece!  I'm very pleased how things came out, even though I am a HORRIBLE woodworker.

Reconsgt:
Looks good so far Pat,  I had a small train set as a kid, and always loved them, It will be cool to see your set up all complete.

Phatty:
I'm thinking of placing 2 more legs in the middle of the long sides.  The table is slightly wobbly, so I want to shore it up so it doesn't go anywhere, but I'm not sure if that will fix it or not.

Clonehead:
Looks like you are just about to the fun part of this project. Man, doing that much groundwork at once would be a fun challenge.
You certainly gave yourself plenty of area to work with. I do believe that I'm jealous, Pat. I too have fond memories of a trainset that I had as a kid and was always impressed by the big layouts that the masters would put together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version