Author Topic: Custom Halo: Reach figures  (Read 4034 times)

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
Custom Halo: Reach figures
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:10:36 AM »
I've been a fan of McFarlane Toys' Halo series for a while, and I've been increasingly enthusiastic as the scale shrank down from its original, slightly-above-1:6 scale to the new, slightly-above 1:18 scale (seriously, how hard is it to make your figures the same scale as everything else on the market?)

Anyway, A long time ago, well before I began collecting the Halo figures, I had a fan-comic about two SPARTAN soldiers in a dead-end, backwater posting in the armpit of the galaxy.  The comic itself eventually fizzled out, but those two SPARTANs have appeared in a couple of other comics I've done throughout the years.
Over time, they've changed with the game series, their armor sets becoming farther away from the stock Mjolnir armor to now, with Halo Reach, fully customized armor sets to make them as different as night and day.
Anyway, the main character is named Rusty; he's a red-armored screwup who was sent to the worst possible posting imaginable to keep him away from the brass.
Over the years, Rusty has become slightly more competent (I'm not going to lie, when I first wrote the character, he was a lot like Caboose from Red vs. Blue) and he's even had a couple of major character developments.
Anyway, you're not interested in all of that.  First, let me show Rusty to you guys (as rendered in Google Sketchup.)

And here's the figure I've been slowly customizing over time, cannibalizing parts from SPARTAN figures, an ODST figure, and even a Clone Trooper (a visor that's slowly being formed to fit his helmet).
At this point, I just need to apply the paint to him (Wal-Mart sells armor packs in Red, but unfortunately not the specific combination of armor parts Rusty wears.)

I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
Re: Custom Halo: Reach figures
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:15:44 AM »
Interesting, to say the least!  I've picked up a couple of the Halo figs for customizing, but haven't yet done anything with them. 

This guy is shaping up; looking forward to seeing him with some new paint apps.  On (possible) critique, though I'm not sure if it's just the angle the photo was taken: the arms look a bit too small/thin.  Maybe some armored pieces attached would bulk him up on both sides...

Looking forward to your updates on this one!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
I really like how he is coming along! :)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:34:48 AM »
Love that reference shot of Rusty! That is an awesome design! The wip is looking good, as has been said, the arms could be bulked up a bit.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
Looks good to me, on the front page.

Offline Silver Rider38

• Customs Padawan
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 10:33:13 PM »
I've been a fan of McFarlane Toys' Halo series for a while, and I've been increasingly enthusiastic as the scale shrank down from its original, slightly-above-1:6 scale to the new, slightly-above 1:18 scale (seriously, how hard is it to make your figures the same scale as everything else on the market?)

Anyway, A long time ago, well before I began collecting the Halo figures, I had a fan-comic about two SPARTAN soldiers in a dead-end, backwater posting in the armpit of the galaxy.  The comic itself eventually fizzled out, but those two SPARTANs have appeared in a couple of other comics I've done throughout the years.
Over time, they've changed with the game series, their armor sets becoming farther away from the stock Mjolnir armor to now, with Halo Reach, fully customized armor sets to make them as different as night and day.
Anyway, the main character is named Rusty; he's a red-armored screwup who was sent to the worst possible posting imaginable to keep him away from the brass.
Over the years, Rusty has become slightly more competent (I'm not going to lie, when I first wrote the character, he was a lot like Caboose from Red vs. Blue) and he's even had a couple of major character developments.
Anyway, you're not interested in all of that.  First, let me show Rusty to you guys (as rendered in Google Sketchup.)

And here's the figure I've been slowly customizing over time, cannibalizing parts from SPARTAN figures, an ODST figure, and even a Clone Trooper (a visor that's slowly being formed to fit his helmet).
At this point, I just need to apply the paint to him (Wal-Mart sells armor packs in Red, but unfortunately not the specific combination of armor parts Rusty wears.)

I think an Airborne Helmet (Kat's Helmet) might look closer to the design you have for Rusty. The visor is exactly the same as Rusty's. JFO seems to work well though.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 10:00:48 AM »
Cool, I've been trying to think of a way I can make a Mando-Spartan. Can't wait to see more progress on yours.

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »
Interesting, to say the least!  I've picked up a couple of the Halo figs for customizing, but haven't yet done anything with them. 

This guy is shaping up; looking forward to seeing him with some new paint apps.  On (possible) critique, though I'm not sure if it's just the angle the photo was taken: the arms look a bit too small/thin.  Maybe some armored pieces attached would bulk him up on both sides...

Looking forward to your updates on this one!

The arms are indeed too small.  The McFarlane figures are very detailed, but I've always had issue with their 1:18 scale figures because of the arms and feet; every last figure is practically incapable of standing for any period of time because the feet are so small.  Definitely going to bulk up the arms and feet a bit; I'm also going to adapt the feet so they can use a pegstand.
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.