Author Topic: buyer protection abuse or fraud on ebay  (Read 8401 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
buyer protection abuse or fraud on ebay
« on: December 17, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
times are tight and more than a few buyers have attempted to abuse ebay's buyer protection policy in order to get a discount on their purchased items lately. Most claim some sort of not as described dispute and either threaten or file a claim as such hoping that ebay's blind tolerance of such actions will net them a quick refund and screw the unsuspecting sellers out there.
  I thought I would go ahead and make more public one such dispute to see what you members thought and to see what ebay thought of me pointing out the flaws in their buyer protection program and the removal of the possibility of sellers leaving negative feedback for buyers which for the most part would prevent this sort of fraud from occurring in the first place.

on dec 7th, this buyer purchased a loose tvc commander cody from me
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250947438268&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123
I have sold several of these iin the past, all receiving positive feedback for the transaction

on the 13th, I got this message from that buyer

Dear clint1130cat,

Hello,
I got my item. And there was a small problem. Are you a smoker? Because I opened the figure and there was a strong smell emanating from the figure. It was cigarette smoke, and the value of the figure is decreased by the cigarette smell. I would be happy with a partial refund or some kind of a replacement. I am an understanding person so let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks for your time.

- kevsfish8

on the 13th, I sent this reply message to the buyer

Dear kevsfish8,

Sorry about that, I am indeed a smoker and as a buyer that doesn't like the smell of smoke, I'm sure you will notice that in my description that I didn't mention that the item came from a smoke free home as non smoking sellers will. If you return it, I would be happy to tender a refund but another option would be to spray the figure with something that would cover the smoke smell, like frebreeze or something like that.
Once again, I'm sorry for the smoke smell.
Clint

- clint1130cat

on the 14th, I got this message from the buyer

Dear clint1130cat,

Well, if I ship it back to you then I would be out the cost to ship it back. What I really would like is a partial refund of at least $5. Please let me know if that will work for you, thank you again.

- kevsfish8

on the 15th, I sent this message to the buyer

Dear kevsfish8,

Well you live in Ca so if you just stuff it in an envelope and send it back without a tracking number, it would cost about$1.50 to $1.70.
I would be willing to refund that cost were you to send it back.
Clint

- clint1130cat

today, I got this message from ebay

Hi clint1130cat,
Here's what just happened:
We opened an eBay Buyer Protection case because kevsfish8 has an issue with an item purchased from you.

Here's what you need to do next:

Please click Respond now by Dec 24, 2011 and try to work it out with the buyer.

What you should know:

PayPal has placed a hold on this transaction.
    If you issue a full refund to the buyer before the case is escalated, you will automatically receive your final value fee back.
    If you don't work things out, the buyer can escalate this case to eBay Customer Support for a final decision.

Details the buyer provided:
Problem: The item is not as described
The buyer has already contacted you through eBay Messages
The buyer paid on Dec 07, 2011
The item is damaged
You have responded to the buyer
You aren't working with the buyer to solve the problem

Additional information:
"Item smells like smoke, and that was not in the description. I'm interested in a partial refund or some kind of a replacement."

The buyer wants:
"partial refund or replace"

here was my response to ebay

I went through their support center and as a reply to the buyer's claim, i sent a request in a more official capacity for the buyer to return said item for a full refund.
I then filed a second report of missuse of ebay buyer protection against this buyer " i had filed one already two days ago as I suspected this would happen"
and wrote this in the second report.

As I had reported two days ago here, this buyer is indeed abusing your buyer protection policy and has filed a case #5013514041 against me for this transaction. In the case filing, the buyer claimed that the item wasn't as described because it smelled like smoke and was not described as such. First of all, as I am a smoker, I do not put in my items description that my items come from a smoke-free home as non=smoking sellers will so the item is actually as described as a loose figure complete with all accessories.
Secondly, the buyer claims that I have contacted them and am not working with the buyer to resolve the problem.
  on the 13th, i sent the message to the buyer offering a full refund if the buyer sent the item back. the buyer responded stating they didnt feel like they needed to pay for the return shipping and would prefer a $5 partial refund. I responded on the 15th that I would even refund a cheap rate of return shipping for the item. So, as you can see, I have been working with the buyer to resolve the matter.
The buyer's response to my latest message was to file this case against me.
Since the buyer doesnt want to accept a full refund, even with the return shipping cost refunded, and since the buyer has made two false claims in relation to this case, obviously, the buyer wants a partial refund for the item and is willing to instigate a buyer protection case against me to bully me into giving it to them.
   As i am sure you are aware, there has been an increase in buyer protection cases and fraud around those cases here lately due to the poor economy and this window of opporitunity that has been left open to buyers to exploit the sellers with. As I have pointed out in the past, the removal of the seller's ability to leave negative feedback for the buyers is more than likely to have caused this outbreak of dishonesty in the buyers as they feel they have nothing to lose. I have no doubt that if this particular buyer does not get his or her way that they will leave me negative feedback and bad DSRs in their vengance of not getting their way which will inspire me to file a feedback abuse report.
  Since I am tired of all of the dishonest buyers out there and what they can get away with, I am making this particular case a little more public and am posting all of the details about it in the collecting site that I moderate for. There, we have several threads that discuss what we have to sell, what their is to buy, ebay policies, and anything else about ebay that is interesting enough to talk about. I even have a thread about buying and selling on ebay to serve as a guideline for the site's members to follow.
  I am titling the thread that follows this particular case "buyer protection abuse or fraud on ebay" and if you are curious and want to read it, just drop me a note and I will be glad to send you the url.
  In the meantime, if the buyer escalates this case, I hope that you make the right choice as the buyer is clearly in the wrong in my eyes and, I suspect, in the eyes of the majority of my site's members and shouldn't be allowed to get away with fraud.

clint

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: buyer protection abuse or fraud on ebay
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 07:12:52 PM »
Another ridiculous case. Clint, I will be honest I am a non-smoker and have had items come from your house many times. Not one of em had any lingering smoke smell issues, not a one.

I agree that its up to the buyer to check things like this out before the auction closes not after and then cry foul. I hope ebay resolves in your favor as any legal person would say you are in the right. I look forward to seeing how this gets finished.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »
THIS is why I quit selling on EBAY, I got a bunch fo these at once (I later found out from the same guy useing three different ID's and trying to get free stuff) and it jammed up my paypal account, I had no money to ship the legitmate peoples until I got the cases settled (whcih they are never in a rush to do, nor release your account) after that I got a bunch MORE claims (that were legit, but still not my fault) and well all crappola broke loose, Just gave up out of frustration.  Evilbay sucks and I still avoid paypal as much as possible. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:46:04 PM »
LOL, within the case, the buyer sent me this message today.

"I'm having mobility issues right now and have no way to make it to the post office to ship the item back, I'm also not interested in paying to ship the item back as well, I would be happy to accept a $5 partial refund or a replacement of some kind."

Here was my response

prior to you opening this case, I had offered to pay return shipping but an option that was presented to  me within the case was to give you a full refund after you had returned the item with no return shipping included as you had agreed to when buying the item and accepting my terms of return. Some kind of replacement would not be practical as you have mobility issues and could not get to the post office to return the original item.
 I am fine with waiting until you can make it to the post office to ship the item back to me or, if you can stick it in an envelope and add roughly 4-5 stamps to it, that should cover the postage needed for shipping from your own mailbox.

clint

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 03:04:27 PM »
Wow, surely they will be able to see this guy for the troll that he is.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »
up to the point of he or she initiating the case and my buyer protection abuse messages, I believe that it was all automated but at this point, they should be reading this stuff assuming there is enough staff available to.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
almost two weeks later, i got this message from ebay today.

Hi clint1130cat,
The buyer has asked eBay Customer Support to review this case and make a final decision.
We'll get back to you within 72 hours.

this will be her last attempt at getting some free money. lets see how it goes.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 05:26:58 PM »
here's a big surprise.

Hi clint1130cat,
eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a full refund of $13.98. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping. The hold on this PayPal transaction has been removed.
This case is now closed. You are not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay, and this case will not be counted in your seller performance evaluation.

You can view the details of the case in the Resolution Center.

that's right, folks, ebay's buyer protection rules all and the sellers can beware because ebay doesn't care about them.
all sellers remember to put this buyer on your blocked bidder list least he pull the same scam on you. Here is a link that will lead you to your blocked bidder list page.  http://cgi1.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?bidderblocklogin
Here is the user id that you want to block
kevsfish8 
remember, you can contact this ebay member using his buyer id or you can write to him to voice your opinions to him about his scamming activities using his email addy.     
   kevsfish@gmail.com

Offline clonetrooper360

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 01:58:13 AM »
happy new year yard! wow clint that guy was clearly trying to scam, now i wonder how come ebay refunded him! thnx for the tip im planning on start selling on ebay so i added him to block list . i hope things go well with your shop, and maybe u should add that it comes from a smokeng home just incase someone else doesnt try that
May the Force be with you !

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 05:53:45 AM »
So Clint, can I assume they took the funds from you paypal account to side in that buyers favor?

I think I am done selling there for those reasons. If I can't sell it in forum then forget it. You only get a few of those bad buyers here and there, but wow does it seem like they are getting more and more frequent and ebay never sides on the sellers behalf. Ever. I don't think I can ever recall where they have.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 07:37:34 AM »
Nor can I remember any such occurrence. Naturally they had snatched the funds as soon as the scammer had indicated an issue to them.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
Well that stinks Clint. Geesh.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »
I really need to sell some customs and carded figures but this is one reason I won't even try ebay. So sorry to hear this Clint.

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 06:15:16 PM »
In total honesty, I've received several figures from you.  All but one, an Alpha-17 (Captain) shipped inside of a cigarette pack for thickness reasons, so it didn't get stuck in the sorter, have been normal-scented and in perfect condition.  Guy was most certainly a scammer; sorry, Clint...
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »
I am telling you folks if I can ever find some down time that doesn't go into this site, I want to try and create a data fill form that will allow folks to simply list their items and utilize the existing feedback section where folks can deal in good faith. I don't even know why they call them disputes anymore. It is more like the pay the buyer section.

Has anyone ever had a dispute as a seller that ebay has decided in their favor? I have never heard of one.