Author Topic: Poor Mans Jedi Belt (Tutorial included)  (Read 3562 times)

Offline bryman

• Cadet
    • My myspace
Poor Mans Jedi Belt (Tutorial included)
« on: September 09, 2012, 01:26:30 AM »
POOR MANS JEDI BELT
Okay, so two weeks from the Comic Gaming & Anime Show, a local convention, I decided I need a costume. I have a mandolorian costume, but I didnt have a handler for the day, so I needed something more simple, softer, less... helmeted. So Jedi! But wait, Im gonna need that awesome belt, but short on cash and and even more short on time, what was a Jedi to do? Luckily I am pretty creative! So with items I found around my house I made a Jedi belt, and here's how I did it.

I started with some craft foam. One large sheet was enough for me and I were a XL-2XL shirt.

I cut it in to 3 sections, each one 3 times the width of my regular belt which worked out to 4 inches each.

Then I cut faux leather contact paper big enough to cover each sheet of craft foam. I found this stuff at Home Depot.

Next I glued the craft foam strips end to end with hot glue, then used the edge of the glue gun to smooth out the bead of glue. I used this technique on ever other part hot glued.

Then I added 2 strips of duct tape to the back to strengthen the belt down the whole length.

I covered the front of the foam with the contact paper next.

Then you've got to make sure it stays on, so you've gotta hot glue the contact paper on. I added a glue to the edge of the foam and then more glue along the edge of the contact paper.

After trying it on I realized i needed something to hold my normal belt in place so after looking at some pictures of the Jedi belt, I figured I could use thumb tacks, and it kind of looks like whats on the actual belt. Make sure you bend the tack before you add it to your belt, or it might be pretty uncomfortable.

Then to make sure it doesnt become a pain in your side add a little hot glue over the business end of the tacks and cover it with foam for extra safety.

Now clear belt holders just look silly, so I painted them boltgun metal with citadel paints.

After sliding my regular belt in between the thumb tacks I ended up with this:

So a few hours later, and a grand total of $0 spent on this I have the poor mans Jedi belt. Obviously its not screen accurate, and probably wont hold up for to very long but i think it looks pretty good for free!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Poor Mans Jedi Belt (Tutorial included)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:11:14 AM »
I love it! Fantastico. Thank you so much for sharing this and giving us a step by step.

Ok, time to go take this to the front page.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 07:03:05 AM »
Yes, this is very cool! I love it!

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:22:55 AM »
EPIC! I love this kind of stuff! It is awesome and cost nothing! :D
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline bryman

• Cadet
    • My myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:39:59 PM »
Hey thanks guys, I hope I helped out at least on of you. Keep an eye out on my finished costume, probably tomorrow!