Author Topic: Arcade 1up 3/4 scale retro coin op cabinets  (Read 39179 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Arcade 1up 3/4 scale retro coin op cabinets
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2020, 01:45:35 AM »
The deals have gotten $50 cheaper for the stand up model. Brandsmart members or the right page at Walmart.com will get you the lowest price today
  At the same time, those crazy Walmart clearance prices kind of fueled the fire for the covid spawned buy up of all of the older cabs.On eBay  I’ve seen that $50 Rampage go for $500 this week. If you could find a $1 Centipede, it would sell for $600 now, it’s so rare.

I finished applying the graphic set to the Astroids Deluxe riser box.
   I did a little better than last time and was pleased with how they turned out. Still a novice at this, the important part is to have a clean surface for your decal. Isopropyl alcohol got wiped with a lint free cloth across the three sides to be covered to remove any dirt, oils, fingerprints off of the surface. The decal to be used is positioned on the side keeping in mind where to best leave any overlap to be trimmed. The factory riser boxes have the side panels inset slightly at the corners and I had made the first two home made boxes the same way. Confirming to that ridge will take some surface area of the decal also so I allowed for that when positioning as well. Some frog tape was used to attach the decal with backing to the riser to allow for a hinge so I can work with the first half and not have it shift.
  I have my tools ready, it’s go time

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:36:26 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2020, 02:02:17 AM »
The pros know a cheat for the novice decal application that I intend to employ here.   
  Lift the free side and peel of the backing of that first half. Using a sharp hobby knife, cut off that backing piece while holding the decal in position. Here is the cheat, spritz some water mixed with a touch of dish soap to the surface and or the sticky side of the decal. I just kind of used a sponge for this but a little spray bottle would work better. This makes it easier to work out the air bubbles/wrinkles. Then, using a car squeegee, I carefully brandished the decal down, kind of working it left to right as I got some down and proceeded to the end of the decal. A bit of the soapy solution on the blade of the squeegee helps lessen the friction while you are working those bubbles out.any fold or crease areas are worked in as well, first with the squeegee blade, then with a fingernail or the handle of my knife.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2020, 02:07:57 AM »
Once you get the one side, remove the tape and do the other side. When you get it all done, break out the xacto and trim up any unwanted overlap.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2020, 02:17:49 AM »
For the final step, I used a hairdryer to heat up the decal and worked with the squeegee to get any more air out and lock it into place. That heat will help the bonding agent on the back of the decal to set.
   Go easy with the heat in this step and give yourself time to work an area. When the heat hits that semi wet surface, both the water and air left underneath will expand more than you expect. I thought it turned out ok. It was fun to do and I look forward to another one. It sure dresses up the bottom of the asteroids deluxe cab.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2020, 02:23:49 AM »
A few more shots. I had inquired to the seller about making this set because I was so impressed with how the set he offers for the original Asteroids cab looked. I haven’t gotten that set yet, but I intend to.
  I did order a lit marquee kit for the Deluxe cab yesterday.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2020, 06:12:01 AM »
You are really turning these into works of art Clint. So cool. I need to check that link again and see whats out there. I would so love to find a few of these.

Off to the front pages with this update.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2020, 07:53:22 AM »
Had the grandson over on Friday. Someone caught these action shots of him wearing the proper headgear while playing Pac-Man.

Offline Michiico

• Cadet
  • Why did the clone wars had to come to an end?
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2020, 10:55:18 AM »
I like the old school feel of these arcades. The artwork on them is very cool as well

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2020, 07:04:52 AM »
That is so cool Clint. Great stuff bud.

I also showed my wife that new Star Wars sit down set. She thought it was cool so I took it that she didn't say no!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2020, 07:46:16 AM »
Hey, great pictures, Clint! Looks like you're having a fun time with your little one! I even found a mini arcade for you today! It says it has 240 mini games installed and might even fit 1/12 scale figures!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2020, 06:58:36 PM »
Hey, great pictures, Clint! Looks like you're having a fun time with your little one! I even found a mini arcade for you today! It says it has 240 mini games installed and might even fit 1/12 scale figures!

that is cool it looks like it has a coin slot.
ill have to find a pic but Walmart has been selling a line like that that looks good with 1/18th scale figures.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2020, 12:09:28 AM »
Absolutely awesome work Clint.

Ron

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2020, 04:37:07 PM »
Thank you Ron

Got another lighted marquee kit from arcademodup in the mail the other day. Asteroids, this time.
    Installation went as well as last time. One thing you have  to do with these is remove the lower wood strip off of the stock marquee and screw it onto the marquee backside using the pre drilled holes. I did a similar configuration with the long LED strip but it turned out much brighter this time. I may have to stuff a sock up there or something on the inside to tone it down.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:29:49 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2020, 04:38:37 PM »
3 more shots

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2020, 06:48:50 AM »
Wow, that really lit that up didn't it! Nice.

Off to share on the front pages.

I am leaving hints right and left about what a great gift that SW System would be. It can now be pre-ordered from wal-mart!