Author Topic: Mass Effect  (Read 6000 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Mass Effect
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
sweet. If I can get it to load using my awful home satellite connection this weekend I will give it a go.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 03:58:58 PM »
Ok, for any of you who have played one or the other, you HAVE To play both.  I had read that if you haven't played the first Mass Effect, or if you didn't have the game save from the first game, that Mass Effect 2 would not lose you or confuse you.  That is absolutely correct.  However, I also recently read that if you don't have that save from the first game, you are missing out on quite a bit of the story.  That has also proven thus far to be quite the case.  I went back and bought a used copy of Mass Effect 1 and played it all the way through, careful about my choices.  I've started Mass Effect 2 again, and already the content has drastically improved and expanded.  It's sick how much I had missed from the first 2 times I played ME2.  In fact, I can already see what could potentially be in ME3.

I don't think the Collectors are the enemy.  I think they're trying to defeat the Reapers as well.

Play both games and look into clues, and see if you don't think the same thing.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 04:04:19 PM »
Interesting,   I had the first one saved then lost all my HD data, I will have to go back and replay it, It's a fun game anyway and well worth a revist.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »
Most definitely.  If you've played ME2 once through, playing again will be almost all new.  Also, there are new downloadable content available for free from Xbox Live.  Some new missions, weapons, and other new things.

Offline Jawathehutt

• Cadet
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 11:00:49 AM »
Ah Mass Effect 1 & 2.  ;D

Spoilerz!

Both are definately great games. I had to re-play Mass Effect 2 twice, because I didin't save earlier on decided who would lead to the teams or not which kind of made me sad when one of the team mates died. Too bad Mass Effect 2 wasent as epic as Mass Effect 1 in cutscenes, though that part where Garrus got shot really made me worried.  :-X

Here's hoping Mass Effect 3 has most of the Mass Effect 1 crew members returning.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 04:59:40 PM »
I REALLY loved seeing some ME1 characters, like Liara and Wrex.  I really hope Ashley comes back to the team in ME3.  Now, I REALLY want to play them both again, but this time as a female, just to see what kinds of changes take place in the games, but I don't want to ruin my previous storyline save either.  I'm not sure if I can have 2 different saves on my HD or if it will overwrite the other save profile.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 08:36:05 AM »
You CAN have more than one profile on your HD to play when ME3 comes out later this year, FYI.  I'm off today to pick up ME2 for the PS3, as the reviews for it are amazing, so I'm dying to check it out.  I'll keep you all posted on any changes or differences, and if it really meets the hype I've read on IGN.com

Offline SITHHAPPENS

• I LOVE IT WHEN A CUSTOM COMES TOGETHER!
  • Major
    • sanitariumcustoms.blogspot.com
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 11:06:01 AM »
looking forward to that review ;D

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 05:53:40 AM »
Well, thus far, I've noticed a few new details.

Since you cannot play the original Mass Effect on the PS3, they have added in a static comic book recap to watch the events of the original, giving you the opportunity along the way to make a couple key choices about how you WOULD have played the first game, therefore setting the tone for the 2nd.  Next, the opening sequence is slightly different than I remember it, though that could just be my memory.  Instead of Ashley or Kaiden coming to you while the Normandy is under attack, it's Liara who does.  Other than that, the game seems to be very similar thus far.  There was a new armor choice, a nod to BioWare's other epic, Dragon Age Origins.  However, many of the weapon packs and such from the Xbox version are downloads that cost money, and I'm not sure I wish to do that at this time.  The purchasable quests such as Overlord and Kasumi's Request are packed in with the game, so that's nice.

This game, like all games developed by PlayStation, are geared for hi-def.  While you can absolutely play on a standard def TV, it really does look raw in it's imagery if you don't play on Hi-Def.  So, I'll be loading it up this weekend and giving it a few hours to better assess the game on my hi-def TV.

Offline SITHHAPPENS

• I LOVE IT WHEN A CUSTOM COMES TOGETHER!
  • Major
    • sanitariumcustoms.blogspot.com
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 07:25:45 AM »
guess they couldn't give ps3 users everything for free i might pick it up today thanks for the heads up ;D

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 01:46:50 PM »
Ok, so I'm about 11 hours into the game thus far, and the most notable differences between the PS3 version and the Xbox 360 version is that on the PS3, there are new guns, new powers/abilities, and scanning planets for resources is a LOT faster.  I'm not certain, but I also believe the payouts in cash and resources is greater as well.  I've been able to accumulate almost enough resources to upgrade ALL of my items from now through the end of the game after just scanning 2 systems to 100%.  I still need to accumulate another $200k for purchasable upgrades, but I'm netting between $30k and $50k per mission, so it won't take me long.  The visuals are crisper and cleaner as well on the PS3 version.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to justify keeping my 360, because the only other game made for the 360 that isn't on the PS3 is Fable, and I have the 3rd and final installment to finish yet.  Not sure what I'll do...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
Hmm....maybe I will try to talk my wife into the PS3.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »
To be honest, and especially with the new PlayStation Move, a PS3 would get a lot of use out of your family.  Not only can you play games you like on it, but there are plenty of quality, educational games for kids as well.  Plus, you can stream Netflix directly to your PS3 via a wireless connection, as well as the built in Blu-Ray player, it truly is a family entertainment center.