Author Topic: Imperial Shipyards "These are the droids that we're looking for" Contest  (Read 26653 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
I have been mulling over doing one of the female droids seen in the clone wars cartoon lately... but figured that hasbro will eventually release a figure of them, probably in legacy style and meant for collectors since a female droid might seem a little racy for the children oriented line.... 

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
this is the only reference image I can find on the clone wars version of the "betty bot"

Eventually I'll probably try and make this figure.... Someone should attempt it for this contest, I'd like to see it done.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
The gal droid looks sweet. I thought both chest styles looked great. 

That CW droid looks interesting. You gonna tackle it Devin?

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander

The clone wars Protocol droid sculpt works well from "female" droid parts.
Here's one a did a while ago:

I used the shoulder pieces as her bewbs, but really didn't like how they looked with such a sharp angle, so I modified it as seen here:

Not perfect, but I was satisfied for this attempt. I'll probably revisit the concept in the future and try the whole torso differently.

That's too funny Dad(in an awesome way)... I actually have a 3PO hacked up for this too, gonna use part of the head, the lower torso and arms. As soon as I saw the lil' guy, I was like.. man, 3PO looks like a chick, lol.

Someone should attempt it for this contest, I'd like to see it done.

Actually, while mines' not gonna be exactly like her, the legs are partly inspired by the look of the clone wars one(My so and I were just recently watching some episodes)...I'm gonna use some Marvel figure's legs and try to bash them onto the 3PO torso... I guess I should try to get to it, instead of just talking about it, lol.  It would be cool to see someone tackle her, weren't they also in RotS?
EDIT: Here's the ones I was thinking of: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BD-3000_luxury_droid

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:02:51 PM by Joerhyno »

Offline Squirepec7

• Clone Creator Extreme
  • Banned
  • Commodore
  • "All right clankers, SUCK LASER!"Clone Trooper Jek
    • JediMaster432
I started a jedi hunter droid and so far he's really hard. I had to mold a new chest and head. i'll post pics later.
"Army or not, you must realize you are DOOMED!"

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Ok, so I had a concept and backstory in mind for my entry.  The backstory will be posted at the finale, but here are the beginning WIP shots...

Parts:

closeup:

Colors added but not complete:

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Wow, is that cool!! We could have just made it a female droid theme for the contest. You guys are really pulling out the stops on this one.

This is great!!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Wow, is that cool!! We could have just made it a female droid theme for the contest. You guys are really pulling out the stops on this one.

This is great!!

We can do that next month...  ;)

I might wind up doing a fem-droid just for S and G's... the more I look at it the more I want to tackle it.  I think I know the perfect parts for the hips/legs too.  But it won't be my contest entry, I still like IG-88.

Phatty, is your base figure the "dark woman" from the comic pack?  I don't realy reconize it.  I like the purple coloring though, that looks so SMOOTH.

Offline Squirepec7

• Clone Creator Extreme
  • Banned
  • Commodore
    • JediMaster432
Well heres my entry almost completed. I'm still sort of spitballing ideas but so far this is the only good one to come out. The pictures don't do it any justice he looks really cool on my end. It is just a kitbash of many Greivouses. He is the clone wars general greivous body, and legs/ ROTS sneak preview greivous arms. I had to sculpt with modeling clay to get the new head and body though. Tell me what you guys think he is supposed to be an EG series Jedi hunter droid.

Tell me what you guys thin. I still need to find him a cape and possibly a more metallic silver and red paint.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
I like it squirepec.  looks realy good.  The sculpted head is pretty awesome.  It looks slightly lopsided, but unless you realy look it's not noticable.  You said you used modeling clay?  Did you let it harden or fire it somehow?

If your interested in sculpting over plastic figures and not having to cook the clay to harden it you should look into apoxie sculpt sculpting medium.  It's a two part, self hardening claylike simulant.  Its what I use to do all my sculpting.  It's fairly expensive, but even the small 1 lb kit goes a long long way.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
I added a few greeblies to my IG-88 figure.

I added the third digit to his hands by cutting them off the original's forearms and then carefully gluing them onto the animated forearms.  I think he looks closer to the original figure now with just this simple addition.  Before the animated figure's forearms just looked realy bare.

Offline DanOfTheDead

• Lieutenant
Contest seems to be picking up! Some really great stuff so far!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
I agree! I like that sculpting work, Squirepec.

You're ig is looking tough, Spud.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
My base figure is Lumiya from the comic pack, the head comes from Charbroil from G.I. Joe ROC figs, the lower Jedi tunic comes from an AOTC Anakin, and the upper tunic pieces come from Marvel Legends Omega Red.  Then I have to accessorize her quite a bit yet.  I'm still not sold on the neck portion.

Offline Squirepec7

• Clone Creator Extreme
  • Banned
  • Commodore
    • JediMaster432
I like it squirepec.  looks realy good.  The sculpted head is pretty awesome.  It looks slightly lopsided, but unless you realy look it's not noticable.  You said you used modeling clay?  Did you let it harden or fire it somehow?

If your interested in sculpting over plastic figures and not having to cook the clay to harden it you should look into apoxie sculpt sculpting medium.  It's a two part, self hardening claylike simulant.  Its what I use to do all my sculpting.  It's fairly expensive, but even the small 1 lb kit goes a long long way.
Thanks spud. I just let it harden on it own. Like I said I'm gonna be getting some better paint that looks more metalic so Yeah. Thanks.