Author Topic: Rubble-y corner ruin made using Lucasclone's Apoxie Paste Tutorial  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
I haven't done much terrain, but after seeing Chad's Apoxie paste video, I wanted to try his method. I had different plans in mind for the paste for another project, but to get used to it, I decided to do a small bombed out corner piece. Luckily, my Apoxie order showed up with a chunk of heavy foam for packing material, so that is what I started out with. I also scoured a TRU parking lot for some bits of stone and random bits to use as rubble, as well as some old chunks of wooden chip mulch.

I started out with a random square of wood, cut from an old shelf. I sliced up the foam and kept all the leftover chunks for rubble. i tapped a couple brads in to mount the foam on.

Here, I am using a hot glue gun to attach the walls, etc. I used some packing peanuts for mass, I'll just make it a pile of rubble and crap.

Adding more junk, some bits and some cut hobby wood to simulate bricks. I threw a piece of wood up on the wall to look like a beam or something. I also glued some socks to the pile of peanuts and in a few more spots. I used a rusty paperclip to look like a twisted piece of wreckage.

Some old model bits and other stuff. I also added some bent up wire sticking out of the top and sides of the walls to look like damaged rebar.

I applied the paste, it is super messy just like Chad says.

This is a method I used years ago. I use watered down wood glue and coat the entire ground with it, then dump a ton of sand, small rocks, sawdust and plastic shavings (fir a diverse texture) all over it.

Here it is covered in sand. A happy mistake can be seen, I did this while the Paste was still wet, so I ended up getting sand all over the wet paste. This worked out really well for adding texture to the wall.

Here is the piece after a day to dry, and all the excess sand brushed away with a paintbrush. I used a dremel to gore some cracks into the hardened Apoxie paste. I used a little too mush glue and paste in some areas, so some of the rubble lost a lot of detail, but it still looks like a half buried pile of damaged crap.

As an added precaution, I painted white acrylic over some of the areas that looked a little thin to prevent the spray paint I planned to use as a primer from dissolving the foam underneath.

And now it is primed with Matte Black Krylon Camo.

A first coat of drybrushing on most of the model.

Then I let it sit for a couple weeks to work on other stuff, and just jumped back onto it tonight. This is after several series of dry brushing, then a coating of watered down black ink, then another series of drybrushing and detail painting to give it some life. The flash washes it out a lot, it is a few shades darker in person. I gave it a light hit with some testors dull coat too, just to dampen any shine from the assorted paints and ink.

And some in action shots.

So, a big thanks to Lucasclones for his awesome tutorial!!!!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:33:08 AM by Wreckage »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Rubble-y corner ruin made using Lucasclone's Apoxie Paste Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:02:50 AM »
that is just freakin cool, dude!

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:26:54 AM »
whoa! thats wicked!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:06:17 AM »
Wow. What an awesome tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. You can read more of my comments on the front page.

I am glad the Aves Video Series is helping folks. I have got to go share this on the Aves page.

Offline Tankster

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:48:02 AM »
This just goes to show you making dios isn't that hard and is fun and pretty dang cheap and the right effort and paint can make an amazing piece!

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »
Nice

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 02:45:24 PM »
Mate the tutorial was great and the dio turned out perfect.

Ron

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 03:59:16 PM »
Thanks for the comments and the front page love, guys. With the right motivation and the right tools and prep, anyone can pound something small like this out really easily. The building was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot just in the first run through that i think i could plan something larger, hopefully mixing in some new techniques I am hoping to learn from another friend that does dios.

Offline Rodger

• WoodGuy
  • Commander
  • Jedi Master of Wood and Light
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
Very Nice !!  ;D

Posting production pics ads so much.   ;)
The New Sandcrawler Workshop on Facebook

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »
Great job! Really awesome little dio!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »
Nice job Wreckage. Before you fully painted it, in it's black stage, it reminds me of the 'Forbidden Zone' from the "planet of the Apes" films.  Very cool.