Author Topic: Droidworld's Custom Figures: Tonnikas, Binocular R5s and more.... 07-09-1011  (Read 15685 times)

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
I am in such awe of your work, man!

Saw this dio early yesterday morning, but didn't have time to post until now: simply amazing stuff!

The attention to details in your dios is phenomenal: I loved seeing your process of how you give the Tatooine sands/sediment its look.  This is high, high-quality stuff!

Threepio looks spot-on, with battle-damage and all; the work including his "rusty innards" is brilliant. 

Awesome work; can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve next!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
That is a great 3-PO custom! Great job all around!

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
That is a great 3-PO custom! Great job all around!
Ditto!  :D

Spookymufu

I'm going to repost something I posted at RS.....

Quote from: Spookymufu
theres something I want to mention about DWs figures in his dios.......

in this pic;

you will notice C3POs foot position, he is standing very much the way Anthony Daniels does in the SW movies. This is a detail that most people tend to not put in their poses, standing their figures in a natural or character accurate way. This is very important to the "believability" of a display, people do not stand with their arms and legs stiff and back as strait as a board. These figures are somewhat limited in a lot of respects of how they can be posed but they have come a long way in design and most of the newer ones allow for a HUGE range of natural and screen accurate poses....

Anyway, just want to point out DWs attention to this small but important detail...

Offline Droidworld

• Ensign
    • Custom Figures, Dioramas and Animated Avatars on Photobucket
Thanks Everyone!   

Here's an Update for  July 9, 2011:

Made a few more customs.....

R5-D2 from Star Tours, a binocular R5 unit:

M-3PX, for my JAWAS OF DOOM!:

A Black Death Star Power Droid:

And some Updated Tonnika Sisters:

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
Commented on the scum board but need to say it again 0 great work on the Tonnika Sisters dude - the hair effect is crazy! Thanks for posting these!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Wow, what a great update. It is now on the front page.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Awesome goodness!!  Love the R5 unit - would you mind explaining how you went about modifying the R5 dome to replace the 3 eyes with the 2 new ones?  Also, did you slice open the torso panel to attach the hoses or use a body that already had a panel?  That's a fabulous scene w/ the R5 hooked up to the ... whatever it is.  ;D  The other droids are sharp-looking, as well.  Nice paint apps.  And crazy mods on M's face!  Did you start with a BAD RA7 head?

Tonnika sisters - oh, yeah.  Outstanding work.  Braided thread, you say?  Seems I may need to go hunting.  I can see Jenn- I mean the ROC Baroness face on one.  What head did you start with on the other?

Oh, and I want to add agreement to what Spook said.  Your posing and staging of the fig's make it look almost like a screen-shot - and that really is due to the natural-looking stances.  That's why I really would like to see Hasbro revisit EVERY figure and bring its articulation up to what we have right now.

Offline Droidworld

• Ensign
Awesome goodness!!  Love the R5 unit - would you mind explaining how you went about modifying the R5 dome to replace the 3 eyes with the 2 new ones?  Also, did you slice open the torso panel to attach the hoses or use a body that already had a panel?  That's a fabulous scene w/ the R5 hooked up to the ... whatever it is.  ;D  The other droids are sharp-looking, as well.  Nice paint apps.  And crazy mods on M's face!  Did you start with a BAD RA7 head?

Tonnika sisters - oh, yeah.  Outstanding work.  Braided thread, you say?  Seems I may need to go hunting.  I can see Jenn- I mean the ROC Baroness face on one.  What head did you start with on the other?

Oh, and I want to add agreement to what Spook said.  Your posing and staging of the fig's make it look almost like a screen-shot - and that really is due to the natural-looking stances.  That's why I really would like to see Hasbro revisit EVERY figure and bring its articulation up to what we have right now.

Xacto bladed off the 3 eyes of the Saga2 R5 head, Dremmelled a hole, filled it with sculpey, boiling water hardened it, drilled two small holes and inserted trimmed plastic toothpicks for the eyes.

The body is the Geonosis R2, which is a brilliant figure, and happens to have the same opening panel as the R5-D2 does in Star Tours.

And the M-P3X is simply a painted K-3PX figure, which I think looks more like the character in the comic than RA-7

And finally, the other head is "cover girl" from the GI Joe movie as well.  Both with original "wigs" removed.

WHEW!!!!  Hope I caught all those questions!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
:thumbsup:  Most impressive!  I haven't seen that particular R2, I guess.   :-\  Something for me to hunt down, now...

And I'm just striking out, because I expected it was a BAD head, not a SAGA2 head.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
Awesome work on the R5 and your M-3PX looks fantastic!  Did that head sculpt come with that fig or did you use another one?

Echoing SF's comments: the Tonnikas rock!  Read on your post on the RS boards that you used duct tape for their collars...ingenious....would've never thought of that...they look phenomenal!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Droidworld

• Ensign
Awesome work on the R5 and your M-3PX looks fantastic!  Did that head sculpt come with that fig or did you use another one?

Echoing SF's comments: the Tonnikas rock!  Read on your post on the RS boards that you used duct tape for their collars...ingenious....would've never thought of that...they look phenomenal!

Thanks JediMerc!  I'm guessing you are asking about the M-3PX head sculpt...and it is simply the the K-3PX sculpt.  The R5 is a Saga2 R5 head with the three eyes removed, and replaced with two.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
WORLD! Great update! I love the droids and may have to borrow your idea on the R5! It is simply superb! A must have for an astromech collector. Well done my friend.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier

Thanks JediMerc!  I'm guessing you are asking about the M-3PX head sculpt...and it is simply the the K-3PX sculpt.  The R5 is a Saga2 R5 head with the three eyes removed, and replaced with two.

Yeah, I was asking about the M-3PX head; sorry for the confusion.  Thanks for the info on both!

Offline halnarthax87

• Non-Canonical Legend
  • Commander
Dig them fine Tonika sisters. Funny stuff with the jawas too, I love those little guys, they should have brought down the Empire in ROTJ... revenge for what happened in ANH. :D
And I assume the blown up R5-D4 is getting a new motivator there?  ;D
The exploits of my life are less canonical than they are legendary.

-H.