Author Topic: The Clone Wars  (Read 10540 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: The Clone Wars
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 05:22:40 PM »
Ok guys, chime in as you see the movie and share your thoughts about this one.  Please try not to spoil it for someone who hasnt seen it yet.

Right now I am on the I liked it fence. I can't say I loved it more than others, but its a good movie.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 05:24:44 PM »
Do you thinks its better the the ani cw show that was on the cartoon network?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 05:29:39 PM »
Do you thinks its better the the ani cw show that was on the cartoon network?

Right now I am saying no because the battle scenes were a bit longer in the cartoon network series I think.  There is also the fact that we only see a few environments and not all of the characters yet. I am assuming the TV episodes will fill in some of those gaps though.

Offline Rune Haako

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »
I loved it, bring on the series! ;D

Offline James

• Lieutenant
    • www.droidsandewoks.com
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
I just finished watching the Clone Wars tonight in Andover, Mass., and I personally found it disappointing. To me, it just didn't have a very good story or good character development. I guess it's more for kids though. Maybe I'm just getting too old :-\

Offline Obi-Sean Kenobi

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 11:11:36 PM »
I loved it! My main reason for saying so is that, for the first time in a long time, the narrative followed one particular set of characters through most of the movie. Sure it jumped arround a bit but it was a far less schizophrenic story with much less about politics and more about one action sequence after another. It didn't get bogged down by anyone falling to the darkside and amped up the fun-o-meter.

I won't say it's perfect, but I can't say that about a single Star Wars movie anyway. My only gripes are that the animation, while fantastic during the battle sequences, was a little jerkier and less fluid than we would normaly see on the big screen from say a Pixar film. In particular, the lightsaber duels lack the polish we have come to expect of their live action counterparts. I hope maybe this will get better as time goes on. That's kind of to be expected though considering the material was intended for the small screen. If the quality continues at this level from week to week on television I will be very satisfied.

The only other issue I had was the various silly nicknames employed by a few characters. One in particular, "Skyguy", was cringeworthy. But if that's the biggest of it's offenses I can take it.

Bring on the season premiere and the twenty or so episodes that follow it, I'm waiting. jedi

Long live Zero the Hutt!
"I feel a great disturbance in the force... , though it might just be gas."

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 12:13:48 PM »
I just finished watching the Clone Wars tonight in Andover, Mass., and I personally found it disappointing. To me, it just didn't have a very good story or good character development. I guess it's more for kids though. Maybe I'm just getting too old :-\

I kinda thought the same thing James. Maybe I am just getting too old or having too high expectations. I liked the battle sequences too for the most part, but I would have loved some closer in action of the first battle sequence to give us a better look at all the different troops. I really wanted to get a good look at the ATRT drivers, but they were so small I couldnt glimpse what the drivers looked like. I was also a little disappointed we didnt see that new Ywing. Still, it was good.

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 01:22:44 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed it, it was better than the Phantom Menace, it was Slightly Better than the AOTC - This to me is what the first Prequel Movie should have been like, learning about the main characters of the Story, I couldnt care less about the Senate, Yeah we all know Anakin changes to Vader so do we need to see that in the first or second movies (thats what irked me about the Prequel Movies, they didnt build Anakin up like they should have and when he turned to the Dark Side it wasnt a case of oh wow thats how he turned, it was a case of thank god for that we get rid of Hayden).

I actually care about the character Anakin again, and I think this new one will rock, as for Ahsoka looking forward to see how her character develops, however Hasbro jumped the gun on doing a CW figure of someone that wasnt in the movie.

As for the rest of the movie go see it, I dont want to spoil it for you, but go in with a child's mind and you will enjoy it better, it is closer to the original movies than the prequel movies.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »
I do agree it was much better than TPM.  I guess it had been such a long time since we had a new SW movie that TPM snuck by me. I would agree with your AOTC too except for the parts about Kamino and Geonosis. I loved the Clones doing battle for the first time. I do agree about Anakin too, he doesn't seem like such a push over this time does he?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »
I really liked it! if I were to complain about anything it is this. Coming from Lucas's new animation studio, I would have expected something more of a dreamworks type quality of animation. Perhaps that would have been my preferance. Sure, they were going for a more anime style but this is Star Wars. Lets see something that is visually stunning. Also, I was missing some of the John Williams musical elements that we have come to know and love in anything remotely SW.  I walked away thinking that I would have rather seen the same thing as a live-action movie.
  It was a good set up for the series and I wait for more installments with much anticipation.
I liked the shots of the different styles of clone armor, especially the two camo biker scout looking clones.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »
 I walked away thinking that I would have rather seen the same thing as a live-action movie.

Thats the first comment about the movie I made to my wife. Can you imagine what these battle scenes would have looked like if it had been done as a regular movie? It would have ruled! I think the next thing I said was perhaps this should have stayed a TV entity entirely.

BTW, I thought those camo clones sure did resemble some paint jobs I have seen by someone!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 04:57:22 PM »
I am just hooked on that imperial shuttle looking troop transport. Was that a one pilot cockpit that I seen?
  Perhaps you are right, Tamer. It could have been just fine staying on the small screen. I think that I would have appreciated it more that way.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 05:00:03 PM »
I am just hooked on that imperial shuttle looking troop transport. Was that a one pilot cockpit that I seen?
  Perhaps you are right, Tamer. It could have been just fine staying on the small screen. I think that I would have appreciated it more that way.

That cockpit sure looked like only room for one to me too. I liked how it ejected the pilot too, the whole thing just kinda pulled down. 

I think I just wanted this to look like the other movies using real life actors and it was more "cartoony" than real imo.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2008, 05:06:53 PM »
I was expecting more screen time from the other jedi and Greivous. thats ok,, they can take up content in the later episodes.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 06:46:24 PM »
Boy I guess I'll go against the grain.  I saw it this afternoon and was utterly dissapointed.  I just about walked out and dozed off 3 times during it.  Not wanting to give alot away, but it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be like.  The first 10 min, it seemed like they were trying to film it like a war docomentary and it was making me sick, literally.  I sure hope the tv series is alot better, sorry guys just wasn't happy with this one.