Author Topic: Keke's Garage  (Read 14846 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: Keke's Garage
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 10:04:33 PM »
Yeah, we're looking at "stone-in-a-can" textured spray.  She's got a particular color already located that she is convinced "looks JUST LIKE Mos Eisley!"

As for the door, we're planning a doorway large enough to actually play thru.  No decision yet on how functional the door is going to be - or even exactly how the door is going to *look*!  I think we'll make some progress on it tomorrow, getting a doorframe built.  Once it is, we'll be fastening together the two cooler bodies and the doorframe.  After that comes the spackling.

HEY!  Reminds me - any suggestions on what adhesive to use so as to hold large blocks of styro together?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »
duct tape....  lol super glue will eat through the styrofoam I know that.  You will have to use a slow curing glue.  Elmers glue might be your best bet, use it to start with with a little duct tape on the outside and then spackle over it all.  The spackle should reinforce the glue and keep the duct tape from coming off of course.  You could even use duct tape as "hinges" for the door and spackle over each piece of duct tape so that you don't see it.  The duct tape should be strong enough to withstand swinging it open and closed and should give you a great way to be able to shut the door and open it without it coming detached. 

Another idea you might look into using would be wood glue or gorilla glue.  I would suggest a two part epoxy but I seem to remember trying that once and as the epoxy cured it heated up and melted through the styrofoam....

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 01:16:57 AM »
Doc, that's what it's all about. If it can get the kids into being creative then you are giving them a gift that they will use all of their lives. It may sound corny, but my Dad inspired me to make stuff, and by doing so it has given me great problem solving skills that I can transfer to my work as well as my leasure time.

Great seeing your pic too, I can now put a face to your messages. You look like a cool dude if I may say so! I bet your household is loads of fun.

Great post!

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 03:34:02 AM »
Give a starving man a fish and you will feed him for one day.
Teach him how to fish and you'll feed him for the rest of his life.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 04:27:21 AM »
comander kurgan I think the second line of that saying goes "teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day"  but that might just be cuz I'm from ky ;) lol

but they are right doc, I know for a fact that if my parents didn't encourage my creativity with lego's and such when I was a child I would not have the conceptual imagination to create things.  I think my legos saw more play time than all my other toys put together.  Hell I still play with the legos with the kids sometimes!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 08:11:10 AM »
Doc, on my bigger dips where I use styrofoam chunks as ground work I use white glue in tandom with pieces of tie/ bailing wire to hold things together. I will pre bore a hole into the foam, glue in a length of wire, bore a hole into the connecting piece of foam and glue it onto the remaining length of wire.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 08:43:08 AM »
Ah!  Good ideas, guys!  I like the dowel/pinning approach, personally.  Rebe suggested spackling gauze for running over the join-crack, too, just like on a "real" wall.  I keep asking her when is *she* gonna start customizing...   ;)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »
you got something against duct tape!  :P  like I always say:

if it moves and it shouldn't used duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should use WD-40

of course clint's right... using dowels or wires as pins would probably be more structurally sound.  lol
can't wait to see it whatever you do.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 11:27:53 AM »
As we say in the German army: Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, it has a dark side and it holds the galaxy together.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 01:14:57 PM »
Pretty sure every third guy in our squad had a roll of duct tape in his ruck.  Currently, we have rolls of duct tape scattered liberally around the house, shop, and vehicles.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »
LOL. Sit in a boat all day and drink. First I have heard that, but one I will remember. Doc, think you have all the idears you need to do this.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »
I also have pink fingers from smoothing spackling thru the curves of the sample piece!  Basically, I covered one of the loose ends we removed in spackling as a test-run.  I picked up a load of stuff at WM today...stone paint, a 6" styro ball, a large slab of styro, some weather-seal pieces on clearance, etc.  Oh, and Gorilla Glue.   ;D  I think we are ready to design the doorway and start the cutting and gluing on that phase.

I've never worked with spackle before.  I *hope* it works the way I want.

Geez, I'm spending time on *her* garage and nothing AT ALL on my OWN entry!!  yeesh!   ;)  That's a dad for ya...  (I know, I still have quite a bit of time to go, yet.)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 05:46:16 PM »
I am loving the idea of this. Lots of possibilities for all environments.  Tell KeKe she might not want me to see too many finished pics as I might want a Walker garage!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 07:18:54 PM »
are you using drywall spackle or bondo?   bondo would have been good too, but it gets pretty hot as it cures so it might melt the styrofoam.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 09:42:29 PM »
Drywall spackle.  Made the end piece pretty dang heavy.  I'm letting it dry overnight before putting the stone finish to it.  I'll take pic's of the two test pieces tomorrow in the various stages - back side untouched, front with spackle, front with just the stone texture, front with stone applied over drywall spackle.

Tamer, she said, in her best Three Musketeers imitation, "That can be arranged!  But he'd have to do all the painting and stuff - I'd just build the building."  She'll prolly charge you an arm and a leg, too.  She's quite the mercenary.   ;D