Author Topic: Rogue Jedi's custom figures  (Read 41011 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Rogue Jedi's custom figures
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2013, 02:48:39 AM »
Wow, what a nice update. I love some of those head sculpts. Back to the front page and our facebook page.

Offline Yr1977

• Cadet
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2013, 03:33:49 AM »
Cant wait to see how that Jaxxon turns out! Keep up the good work.

Offline Rogue Jedi

• Ensign
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2013, 04:04:29 AM »
Wow, what a nice update. I love some of those head sculpts. Back to the front page and our facebook page.
Thanks!

Offline Rogue Jedi

• Ensign
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2013, 04:05:51 AM »
Cant wait to see how that Jaxxon turns out! Keep up the good work.
Thanks and I'm hoping that I can find time to finish at least Jaxxon and the Dashade this weekend.

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
    • Riff Valley Design Works
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2013, 05:46:13 AM »
Nice work on those JP figures! Really liking that Verpine headsculpt. I sculpted an original headsculpt of that species too a couple years back. Good job!

Offline Rogue Jedi

• Ensign
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2013, 06:47:09 AM »
Nice work on those JP figures! Really liking that Verpine headsculpt. I sculpted an original headsculpt of that species too a couple years back. Good job!

Thanks. The verpine is a great species that I have always wanted a figure of yet I doubt that (especially considering everything as of late...) hasbro will ever produce one. On that note: I would love to see a pic of yours.

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2013, 07:29:51 AM »

Thanks. The verpine is a great species that I have always wanted a figure of yet I doubt that (especially considering everything as of late...) hasbro will ever produce one. On that note: I would love to see a pic of yours.

I totally agree with you on the whole hasbro fiasco. Since you asked, I'll post a few pics of the Verpine headsculpt and a Verpine Jedi that I made years ago in my thread here for you to check out

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:36:54 AM by I-am-Boba-Fett »

Offline Rogue Jedi

• Ensign
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »
Just checked it out and it's great.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:31:24 AM by Rogue Jedi »

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2013, 07:06:05 PM »

A few wax sculpts I've been working on (also please read the above post by me and if you have any good info on mold making products and resin materials for casting please let me know).

I have something you may like.  It's not fast or cheap, but it makes the best molds.  Mold Builder by Castin Craft.  You have to apply about 6 thin layers over 3 - 6 days, but I find it picks up the detail you want.

http://www.eplastics.com/MOLD-BUILDER-PT?origin=product-search&kwd=&source=pla&gclid=CImC8_jlybkCFYZlOgod9gkAMQ

BTW, love the wax sculpts.  I have to try that.  I have some old dental tools that I use for sculpting.   What tools do you use?  Do you use any old wax?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:08:49 PM by Sjefke »

Offline Rogue Jedi

• Ensign
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2013, 02:47:28 AM »
I work in the dental field for the army so I use dental tools as well to sculpt as for the wax: it's a type we use at the clinic so it's not normal wax as it remains somewhat pliable (if you let it sit it will "harden" but unlike say wax for candles it will become pliable again once you start messing with it). I'll have to look into what kind it is to be specific and how to get it but I really do love working with it because unlike candle wax it is much easier to work with (think sculpy but better) and again while it never fully hardens like candle wax might it does harden enough (especially if you put in in the freezer for a few hours before you make the mold) to allow you to make a mold.

Offline Rogue Jedi

• Ensign
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2013, 02:52:58 AM »
Sjefke also thanks for the info I'll have to look into it. Also here's a link that shows the type of wax that I use; It looks like you can order it from there as well but I'm not positive on that.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/109239808/Dental_Wax.html

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2013, 06:09:45 AM »

A few wax sculpts I've been working on (also please read the above post by me and if you have any good info on mold making products and resin materials for casting please let me know).

I have something you may like.  It's not fast or cheap, but it makes the best molds.  Mold Builder by Castin Craft.  You have to apply about 6 thin layers over 3 - 6 days, but I find it picks up the detail you want.

http://www.eplastics.com/MOLD-BUILDER-PT?origin=product-search&kwd=&source=pla&gclid=CImC8_jlybkCFYZlOgod9gkAMQ

BTW, love the wax sculpts.  I have to try that.  I have some old dental tools that I use for sculpting.   What tools do you use?  Do you use any old wax?

I have worked with this mold builder numerous times before also. I do not have the slow drying time issue as reported above. Here's a tip to cut drying time down in between each layer you apply. Use a hair dryer set to low heat and have it blow the warm air directly onto the part you want to dry. Saves a TON of time. I can build a mold in no time using this method. Just watch out for warping if the part you are making a mold of is very thin plastic. Hope this helps, I-am-Boba-Fett

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2013, 07:27:51 PM »
Sjefke also thanks for the info I'll have to look into it. Also here's a link that shows the type of wax that I use; It looks like you can order it from there as well but I'm not positive on that.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/109239808/Dental_Wax.html

Thank YOU

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2013, 07:36:32 PM »
I have worked with this mold builder numerous times before also. I do not have the slow drying time issue as reported above. Here's a tip to cut drying time down in between each layer you apply. Use a hair dryer set to low heat and have it blow the warm air directly onto the part you want to dry. Saves a TON of time. I can build a mold in no time using this method. Just watch out for warping if the part you are making a mold of is very thin plastic. Hope this helps, I-am-Boba-Fett
Thanks for the tip.  I like that.  I tend to really smear the 3rd and 4th and 5th layers on kind of heavy, but with thin enough applications, it dries fast enough.  I guess I should have said, "I leave it to dry for 6 hours, while I go do something else like watching water boil"  ;-)

I'm sure to hear the Mrs complaining about her missing hair dryer.  
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:38:47 PM by Sjefke »

Offline Rogue Jedi

• Ensign
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2013, 04:13:49 AM »
So still haven't gotten any resin to make cast with (again if anyone has any info on some good products to check into let me know...and thanks for those who gave some info on good cast making material...if anyone esle has some good recommendations for that as well I'd love to hear them.) but I did use some recently expired material from the clinic to that we use to make temporary crowns with to make some "mock up" cast just so I could see how they look. Granted they all need a bit of polishing up so to speak but out side of Zim (need to recast and make teeth more prominent before I do) I'm happy with how Jaxxon and Tawss Khaa turned out. Also got a little more sculpting of the Dashade done too.

Zim mock up

Jaxxon mock up

Tawss Khaa mock up

Dashade WIP sculpt