Author Topic: What do you look like?  (Read 80113 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: What do you look like?
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2009, 12:31:48 PM »
Good shot Volker. It is sure looks like it was rain! I take it you are a Scout Leader. Thats great!

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2009, 12:39:18 PM »
Yep, I'm Scoutmaster of Selous Troop here in town.
If you're interested, check out our blog at: www.frederickselous.blogspot.com
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2009, 12:46:34 PM »
I will give it a peek Volker!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2009, 01:10:24 PM »
As in the guy who the Rhodesian Selous Scouts are named for?  My son was a Boy Scout and my middle daughter was a Girl Scout, but they are far more interested in something a bit more ... aggressive.  ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2009, 01:10:59 PM »
I will give it a peek Volker!

Well the German was lost on me Volker, but it was nice to see the kids having so much fun! I wish I could start a fire with a knife and a flint, I have never tried it. Kids need things like Scouts to keep em outta trouble imo! I am a teacher by profession so I spend a good deal of time with kids too. I am sad to say Scouting is not something that a lot of kids do in my area.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2009, 03:08:01 PM »
@Doc: Yes, the Troop is named after the same Frederick Selous the Rhodesian Selous Scouts named themselves after. In fact, there will be a brief report about our merry gang in an upcoming book of Selous and the various units who were called "Selous Scouts". We'll be in the very last chapter describing the use of the name in a peaceful context.

@Tamer: Never mind the language, I think the pics will let you catch our drift. We are doing very traditional Scouting and it is dramatically different from what most other German-based troops (or tribes as most call themselves) do. No board games and playing cards for these kids. We spend a lot of time out in the boonies hiking and camping and making do with as little kit as possible. They can rappel down cliffs and in a year and a half I'll take those who are old enough to legally do so, parachuting.
If you want to run a good program, you'll have to be prepared to invest a lot of time, but it's worth it. It is amazing to see how the kids develop themselves. If you feel you have the time and energy, raise a Troop right where you live. It will make one hell of a difference for the kids.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »
I am gonna give that some thought. I like the idea of a more "hardcore" type of scout.

I must say, your command of the English language is, I can see, perhaps better than my own. And to think your primary language is German!

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
yup he does well in the conversion there......See Star Wars does bring the international community together...... ;D

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2009, 12:01:13 AM »
Thanks, people.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »
I used to be a boy scout, Volker. I didnt quite get to eagle scout. Cars, jobs, and chasing girls got in the way.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »
I am gonna give that some thought. I like the idea of a more "hardcore" type of scout.

I must say, your command of the English language is, I can see, perhaps better than my own. And to think your primary language is German!

yeah, odd to consider that a greater majority of the civilized world is bilingual at the minimum.  Only the colonials that are shackled to one language, :)

Parachuting, eh?  Sounds dangerous, but pretty fun, as well.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2009, 10:54:57 PM »
Clint, I sort of dropped out when school, jobs, girls and then the military got in my way, but I got back in when I thought it was about time to give something back to the community.
That was just a few years ago.

Many people still think that parachuting is some sort of daredevil stunt, but in fact, it is not more dangerous than driving a bike or a car. However, it can be a great confidence-building tool. Think of a 14-year-old who does this.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2009, 11:21:21 PM »

yeah, odd to consider that a greater majority of the civilized world is bilingual at the minimum.  Only the colonials that are shackled to one language, :)

Parachuting, eh?  Sounds dangerous, but pretty fun, as well.

Colonials?...... ;)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2009, 05:07:57 AM »
LOL. He was talking about us "Yanks" Greg. You know the colonists in the New World and all.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2009, 05:45:32 AM »
LOL. He was talking about us "Yanks" Greg. You know the colonists in the New World and all.

oh i thought we aussies were referred as " Colonial" when the english colonised Australia... ;D....lol....no harm intended i'm sure..... ;)