Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 42667 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Re: Hunting
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2009, 06:42:49 AM »
There's not an offering in 300UM in the states, atleast not yet   17 Rem to .308  according to Remmington  but seeing the base 700 is available in 300 Win Mag, I am sure it will pop into this offering

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2009, 06:46:21 AM »
Sounds good Greg.

Pat, glad to see you are expanding your horizons a bit. I know one thing, turkeys ain't deaf either! They are the hardest animal, imo, to hunt. They have superior eyesight and hearing, the best of any animal I have hunted. There is no way you will be able to hunt one with any type of bow unless you are in a blind. My state does not allow crossbow use unless you have a medical condtion. MD does allow them for a later archery season. I haven't bought one yet, but it seems like it would be fun.

Yepper Pat, deer hunting is my main quarry. They are color blind, but thier main defense is thier nose. They can smell really good so the first thing, imo, if you decide to deer hunt is some type of scent eliminating clothing. I know my next hunting clothes will be fleece, scent lock, and waterproof.  I expect to pay around 300 plus dollars for the complete outfit, but it will be worth it.

Wayne, you know they will make one I bet. I might try a short mag though.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2010, 01:00:18 PM »
Well, I finally get to add a message to this after a whole hunting season. The past two days have seen me tackling some of the most brutal hunting weather imaginable. Some of you may be familiar with a deer "drive" or push as they sometimes are called and that has become an annual end of the year hunting tradition with me and my hunting friends on my buddy's farm. It always seems that mother nature decides to send us some below zero weather, a foot of snow, and blowing wind each year too. This year was pretty bad though. I can barely walk my legs are so sore today as some of the pushes were uphill to get to the starting point and some of the drives took hours.  Wow, was it cold. I only got one, but it was a long track through lots of snow as a youngster who had shown up had wounded it so I took off on the track. After an hour I was able to catch up with it and harvest it.

Oh yeah, the venison jerky is marianating as I am writing this. I had about four messes of steak and cut the rest up into jerky. My buddy took the rest of the meat as he has neighbors who need it. I hate dealing with the shoulders anyway. I think next year though I am gonna not wait till the last day of hunting season to get some meat though.

Offline Squirepec7

• Clone Creator Extreme
  • Banned
  • Commodore
  • "All right clankers, SUCK LASER!"Clone Trooper Jek
    • JediMaster432
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2010, 09:06:37 PM »
Tamer I know this is a late time to post this but here is a pic of the buck I shot 10 yards from me last November.
Sorry if the picture is sideways I didn't know until it was uploaded.
"Army or not, you must realize you are DOOMED!"

Offline Squirepec7

• Clone Creator Extreme
  • Banned
  • Commodore
    • JediMaster432
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2010, 09:10:17 PM »
Heres a pic that isn't sideways. O0

He was an 11 point buck shot on the 14th of November at 7:30 a.m.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2010, 05:22:13 AM »
Hey another hunter in our midst! Awesome, that is a great buck. I would have loved to have seen something like that come into my scope last year. I had one of my worst hunting seasons ever. That mast crop was so heavy in some areas and not in others than you just couldn't pattern anything. Looks like you didn't have a problem though. I would love to see some more close up head shots of that dude. What state are you in if I may ask? I don't think its my state of WV! That buck is too big!

Offline Squirepec7

• Clone Creator Extreme
  • Banned
  • Commodore
    • JediMaster432
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »
Hey another hunter in our midst! Awesome, that is a great buck. I would have loved to have seen something like that come into my scope last year. I had one of my worst hunting seasons ever. That mast crop was so heavy in some areas and not in others than you just couldn't pattern anything. Looks like you didn't have a problem though. I would love to see some more close up head shots of that dude. What state are you in if I may ask? I don't think its my state of WV! That buck is too big!
Tamer I live in Missouri. I shot this guy the first morning out in the woods behind my new house.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2010, 11:43:54 AM »
We don't got those skinny deer like you WV dudes do, Shawn. I think that it's all the mountain climbing that makes em skinny like that.

Nice looking buck, Squirepec

Offline Squirepec7

• Clone Creator Extreme
  • Banned
  • Commodore
    • JediMaster432
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2010, 12:39:29 PM »
We don't got those skinny deer like you WV dudes do, Shawn. I think that it's all the mountain climbing that makes em skinny like that.

Nice looking buck, Squirepec
Thanx

Offline Cliffthelightning

• Ensign
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »
Okay  ;D

While i don't like killing animals i wouldn't deny that i'm jaleous that we can't shoot at stuff in holland .... We have a swine problem in the woods but here they just chase them up and then machine gun them to reduce trouble.. or we shoot each other

Last thing i shot was a french guy in call of duty

Great 'kills' dudes i love america if everything works out i will do my final high school year in the US!

Cheers-

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2010, 04:12:26 PM »
Cliff here in the US hunting is something most of us are brought up in and it is mainly a family tradition in the more rural areas. A week of hunting sometimes means more to kids than Christmas if you can believe that. I hate to hear about your swine problem. From what I understand they can really tear up some territory.

Offline Darth Abshir

• Rookie Customizer
  • Commander
  • DarthAbshir
    • http://www.starwars.com
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »
hey darth c were in minnesota do you go hunting? i go archery in Duluth ;D

"Keep Collecting and May the Force be with you"

• Ensign
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2010, 06:04:58 PM »
Cliff here in the US hunting is something most of us are brought up in and it is mainly a family tradition in the more rural areas. A week of hunting sometimes means more to kids than Christmas if you can believe that. I hate to hear about your swine problem. From what I understand they can really tear up some territory.

Yeah youre right about that ... and there are lots of deer anyway :)  but what made me dislike hunting is i saw this docu about rich people that went to africa to 'hunt'

1st of all the animal they want to shoot is a choice if you want to kill a ... lion for instance the rangers have one in storage and let it loose in an enclosure , then a ranger shoots the animal so it's slowed down and than the truck drives to the animal ( Around 5 meters) and they let the rich bloke 'kill' the animal and then they get a picture taken and say ' I shot this animal by myself'

But about the swines... the part where i reside in holland is the metropolitan area so there aren't any here:)

@ Darthabshir

Awesome i've been to deluth in 2007 !

I landed in detroit drove all the way through Michigan ( passed a town called 'Gaylord' ROFL) and drove over the mcsomething bridge through the upper peninsula and our cabin was in Wisconsin in a town called Hurley near a town called Mellen .... We've been to Minoqua , Deluth On our way back from deluth to Hurley we stopped at a Target/K-MART/WAL*MART...whatever And my stepmom went into to buy some groceries when suddenly ..... MILLIONS of creepy flies came across . The 'Bay Flies ' did this once a year to mate and die so me and my dad though of something evil so we parked the rental car something else and when she came out she watched around her dropped the trolley and strayed to the car ...... But it wasn't there lol when she eventually found us she was pissed of and i got to get the trolley... Normally i'm not afraid of bugs and creepy crawlies but those things where hugeeee ...

I love my trips to the us just returned from LA and SF a month ago :)... If only they had taco bell in holland.... Danm chicken quesdillas love 'em

But if everything works out i'll do my senior year in the Us

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:13:25 PM by Cliffthelightning »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
Cliff, don't dislike hunting because of a few bad souls who happen to say they are hunting. Real hunters don't operate this way. There is an unwritten rule about "fair chase." It would be me not liking Star Wars because I met a few bad souls who are SW fans.  Please also don't believe every documentary you see as some are "biased" to a certain point of view. To each his own though.

• Ensign
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
True i respect you guys because you actually 'Hunt'

But try to shoot something else then Deer because i want my christmas packages delivererd  ;D

Cheers