Author Topic: Delaton's custom 1:18 scale SW vehicles  (Read 9552 times)

Offline Delaton

• Cadet
Re: Delaton's custom 1:18 scale SW vehicles
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »
So after working on the cockpit, I moved onto the cargo bay.  The only other major interior space, it also needed to be 100% complete and sealed in before the outside could be completed.

As you see from this reference photo, the rear hatch is straight and hinged, making the build that much more difficult.

I decided to go fanfic on the interior configuration since the whole ships was not built exactly 1:18 to scale.  Taking cues from interior environments we've already seen in the live-action movies and CW cartoon, I began making believable structural components.  I also looked at modern naval ships for additional inspiration on the utilitarian nature of "ships".

This was the first time on this model where I did not cover every inch with styrene either.  I kept areas of chipboard and foamcore exposed to save time and material.  Later on, painting would prove that I should have covered everything.  In order to get the paint looking the same on all surfaces, I had to spray several more coats that I normally would have.

I used jewelry box hinges glued and sandwiched into the styrene doors.  The doors, even after painting, work quite smooth.

Although a little grainy, the finished paint included oil stains and rust weathering to give the ship a used look.  The seams around the perimeter of the interior panels show the white foamcore structure beyond.  I've learned my lesson that I should pre-paint the substrate to avoid this in the future.  During final paint, these will be filled with a black pain wash to make them disappear.

Next up, the wings....all three including two operable ones.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
Great Job on the hinged doors. All together, a great work up of that area. The documentation of this project continues to astound.

Offline theyrenotdolls

• Cadet
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
Dude !!!!!
Ashley, great to see you here. This scratch build is the bomb. Congrats.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 05:14:11 AM »
Love it. Back on the front page.

I am gonna forward this to my hasbro contact for a ship they need to build. You have shown it can be done.

Offline ShamanLogRay

• Colonel
  • Greetings from the UK! :)
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 05:52:30 AM »
 This is turning into a major work of art! Brilliant! :)

Offline Delaton

• Cadet
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2013, 10:06:53 AM »
Tamer-
I actually spoke to Derryl DePriest about this project for a good 5 minutes while at Celebration 6.  He knew more details about the ship than I did at the time (it was only rattling around in my head back then).  It shows that a) he's a true fan, and b) they (Big H) probably did look at making one for a while.

The problem I see with Hasbro making one is that mine is the size of the BMF.  However, the only way it'll sell is if it's in the $50-$75 range, and even that's a stretch.  I think it would be so cartoonish, like the new smaller scaled Slave I, that collectors wouldn't buy it.  If they're going to make a ship / playset that's worthy, let it be Jabba's barge.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »
Delaton,
I think its vehicles like this that would give Hasbro hope for the future of their larger vehicle line. I definitely agree with you about the Sailbarge, but think that they should offer probably one newer and one older per year (or even flip flop years for that matter). Lets face it, the OT vehicles while nice for us older folks who grew up with the first movies sure don't do as much as this ship would for the younger audience.

Offline Rodger

• WoodGuy
  • Commander
  • Jedi Master of Wood and Light
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »
Very Nice.. Am Much Impressed !!  ;)
The New Sandcrawler Workshop on Facebook

Offline Delaton

• Cadet
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »
Tamer-
Then forward along!  Let me know what you hear.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2013, 02:51:39 AM »
Tamer-
Then forward along!  Let me know what you hear.

Will do.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 05:19:51 AM »
Why, why, why can't we get something even close to the cool factor that your work on this shows from Hasbro? 

Hasbro bean counters, I'd buy this in a heartbeat---if done as awesomely as Delaton has shown here!

Great piece of work; looking forward to your continued progress.  Thanks for the videos!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Jon Dough

• Cadet
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »
I'm usually more of a lurker than a poster, but I had to give kudos to you on this build.

I have a degree in architecture which I've never used, but I still remember spending long hours in studio working with foamcore and balsa wood to build mockups and models which my TA's and professors proceeded to rip, figuratively and literally, in jury reviews.

I can only imagine the hours that you've put into making this ship look so detailed.
My hats off to you sir. I look forward to seeing more pics.

JD
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:50:20 PM by Jon Dough »

Offline Delaton

• Cadet
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2013, 05:37:38 PM »
So now that the interior was complete and installed, I moved onto the exterior skin.  This included installing the top hatch to the cockpit, all three wings, and engine pods.

The top wing had a PVC sleeve installed.  The post was fixed to the body panels.

The side engine pod and intake was roughed in.  I used Millennium Falcon parts for the interior "engine" pieces.

Up to this point, the two main wings were separate from the ship.  This allowed the piece to be worked on easier.  In retrospect, the wing should have been installed all the way through the ship for stability and sag prevention.

The belly wing was installed with the same sleeve and post technique as the top wing.

Finally, to give everyone some perspective, here's a size comparison:

Next update:  Wing guns, engines, and details.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2013, 05:50:18 AM »
Still shake my head when I consider this build. So awesome, back on the front page.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »
One of my favorite vehicle builds of all-time ;D