Author Topic: Doc's Chop-Shop ("Jo'Bray" cargo skiff added, 4/4/11)  (Read 8227 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Doc's Chop-Shop ("Jo'Bray" cargo skiff added, 4/4/11)
« on: October 15, 2010, 12:47:37 PM »
I thought I had a vehicle thread, but maybe not, since I could only find the ancient thread for KeKe's Garage project.  So, I'll start up a chop-shop thread today with a teaser pic of a WIP...

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:23:27 AM by DocOutlands »

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
Re: Doc's Chop-Shop
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
that looks remarkably like a Naboo Star Skiff
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 06:01:16 PM »
completely disassembled and repainted!

;D

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 05:28:52 AM »
im guessing . bounty hunter ship . jabbas guard ship . mandalorian air speeder . normal air speeder . who cares i can't wait to see it

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 06:12:40 AM »
I agree with Jay. More pics I say!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 08:14:58 AM »
I will say it is all Jules' fault...   ;D

Beige-4, one of your guesses is close!

Vehicle goes to detail-paint today.  Pulled out an old model-building trick on the canopy for masking it - burnished scotch tape down over the clear parts and trimmed it to fit.  Sprayed and peeled.  Voila!  Only one small area of seep, which I will show up close soon.

I never could figure out a reason to buy that stupid Naboo Skiff mini-rig... until something in one of Jules' threads triggered a thought that bordered on an instant obsession!  Now it has a backstory and a place in the Outlands Station corner of the universe.  Detail work should hopefully take just the weekend.  I give lots of drying time.  ;)

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 10:12:59 AM »
sweet!   cant wait doc   ;)

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
Here's today's look at the beast...

upper and lower fuselage, side-by-side:

cockpit closeup.  you can see the minor amount of paint seepage under the edge of the cheap tape I used.

cockpit closeup.  I chipped the paint slightly when removing tape from the canopy.

rough fit of parts:

rough fit, open canopy:

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 02:13:52 PM »
Tentative backstory is the combat airspeeder is owned and operated by a private security contractor with a contract to defend mining interests on a planet close to Outland Station.  It is used as a CAS bird (close air-support), having four blaster cannon mounted in the fuselage and wings.  A lack of missile/bomb racks likely hurt sales of the craft.  Additional details are continuing to percolate - frex, is it a development by the Naboo firm that designed the Star Skiff or was it a retro-fit/upgrade by a third-party or by the PSC armorers?

Tentative name has been the "Sky-Raider," but the real AD-1 was a much better CAS bird than this thing would be.

I am also developing a custom pilot idea for it.  Prolly use a biker scout as the base body with a Cobra Tele-Viper head, or similar.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: Doc's Chop-Shop ("Sky Raider" WIP pics, 10/16)
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 02:26:54 PM »
Doc, I'm liking this quite a bit already!  Can't wait to see and hear about more.

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 02:48:01 PM »
mmmm really intressting, looks really cool!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 02:53:54 PM »
I'm also contemplating a ground-crew/arming droid, but with no external racks, the droid would be more of a ground-based astromech.

I'm hoping I feel up to doing some of the detail-paint on it today, but Bec packed up the majority of my work-materials while I was in Texas.  (had to - oldest daughter needed space for her bed while she's living with us)  I'm wanting to start really setting up my new workshop area so I can get back to churning stuff out, because I need my molding and casting stuff for the pilot!

Another thing I want to do is add a flight-yoke to the control panel.  The Star Skiff is totally lacking in controls.  It has molded-on panels, which I will show later when I start on the detail-work, but nothing in the way of stuff to hold onto.  My thought there is to use a couple of the grappling-claws that came with the old Clone Commanders and fab something up.  An alternative is to use the Naboo Starfighter controls that came with that particular Anakin fig.  Option 2 would make sense from an in-world logistics view - you could use the Skiff as a pilot trainer with identical controls.  There's a whole 'nuther custom idea, but I'd want to remove the cannon emplacements for a trainer.

Somewhere, I should have two of the grappling-claw handles and I *think* I have an Ani with fighter controls, but actually finding them could get...interesting.  I think once I do, I'll be interested in making molds of them for future use, too.   So yeah, I gotta rig my new workspace at some point.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 03:27:20 PM »
mate that is superb and i love the legend that you have given it

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 04:46:47 PM »
hehe - Jay, now you know any one of my customs is as much a creative-writing exercise as it is a modelling exercise!  And there are still surprises yet to be revealed that are associated with this wee beastie.

Did find an Ani with Naboo "flight simulator" accessory.  I'll be checking it for fit either later tonight or tomorrow - my oldest wants to go out tonight and is dragging Rebe and I along with her.  This is highly out of character for the oldest - usually, she is altogether too sour-faced and generally grumpy - so passing up the opportunity is NOT! an  option!  ;D

(oh, Rebe, Bec, Rebecca - all the same awesome, long-suffering and occasionally participant in my madness loving wife)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 04:41:25 AM »
Looking good. Bummer about the paint seepage and cheap tape issues. Still I doubt anyone would have noticed had you not pointed it out.

When I saw this vehicle in the store the first thing I thought was that it would look better with some rocket firing pods below the outer part of each wing (or heck on top for that matter).  I can't wait to see how this ends up.

sounds like an interesting family outting!