Author Topic: Idea: correctly scaled walker  (Read 7747 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Idea: correctly scaled walker
« on: December 30, 2009, 12:41:07 PM »
ok... tamer started the idea in my head when he saw that guys scratch built accurately scaled mellinium falcon...

an accurately sized AT-AT in scale with 3.75" action figures sounds exciting. 

I realy think that it'd be possible... 

I think it'd be cool if we did this as a group project.  I could do the main construction and most of the work but I could use your all's help with donating detialing pieces...  for instance I don't have a single at-at driver or commander veers figures.  Or snowtroopers... 

There would be two ways I'd go with this project, I would want to use every possible feature shown in the movies...  So the attack on hoth scenes from inside that cockpit would be duplicated, the endor landing pad scene would be a reference for adding lights...

if anyone had an old potf at-at which still has working sound effects I could possibly work that in there somehow even...

this is all conjecture at this point, I'm posting this to see what kind of thoguhts yall might have on it and if it'd be worth doing.  I probably wouldn't start the project for a month or more since I've got some figures to work on and other stuff going on that will prevent me tfrom doing a large project like this....

any ideas?  Someone want to start collecting reference photos of the inside of the at-at walker? 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Idea: correctly scaled walker
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 12:43:19 PM »
Fab out a plan and do some initial planning, I wouldn't mind contributing.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »
You know, Glorbes (from RS and FFURG) is also building a mammoth AT-AT, but he's focusing on conceptual designs, to provide more artistic liberties.

But this sounds like an awesome project too. A correctly scaled AT-AT is what we all want. I already started googling for ya.

I thought this topic could provide some very useful info! In fact, have a look around there, there's quite a few other AT-AT models (WIPs and finished).

And check out the Vehicles, Weapons, and Beasts Index at RebelScum as well.

Or the Diorama Index Thread there, which features Daigo_Bah's awesome AT-AT cockpit. And there's a guy who's nuts about the OT and details, in the most positive meaning of the word  ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 03:54:34 PM »
Does anyone remember the German SW site that has the ATAT with the inisde areas? To me that seemed to most realistic atat design I have seen for 3 adn 3/4 figures. As I recall Mando Fett put me onto that one.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »
ok this is just what I've rattled out in my head today while thinking about this.

the project is basically an upscaling project to make an at-at that has a correct scale for action figures

tech info I need to know before starting:
height of a true to life at-at?  Estimated height from movie stills? technical imformation?
Inside details? 
How many troops is it supposed to hold? 
what is the inner configuration of the back of the walker?
stills of the cockpit would come in handy...
I'll need to study the footage on ESB to ascertain what movements will be possible to replicate in the large scale version...

materials I plan on using:
Foamcore for the main structure
Polystyrene sheet for the legs and weight bearing structures...
misc greeblies for micro-detailing
LED lighting
Sound effects?

Figures/accessories I'll need:
Snowtroopers
gen. veers
SnowSpeeder and pilot

I think the final result will be done in a way so that it is a huge diorama from ESB and HOTH.    I would also like to add details which were seen in the latest episode of IMPS, epecially the snowtroopers repelling out of the side of the walker, and the gunners and their station.  Which means I'll need to construct the gimble apperatus and find some of those guns for the details...    I will probably ask HEMBLE for those tips ;)  since he's done so good with his mini-dio of the at-at gunner!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »
hold on, let me go get my DK book.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »
Ok, this will get you started. I highly recommend getting this book as a first step though.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 06:25:51 PM »
some data from Wookipedia to mull over:

The AT-AT's troop section could typically carry five speeder bikes, up to forty troops normally comprising Imperial stormtroopers or Imperial land assault troopers[7] in a double-tiered passenger section, and heavy weaponry, such as E-web heavy repeating blasters.[6] The AT-AT could also variably hold two All Terrain Scout Transports in lieu of soldiers in a rear vehicle bay,[7] though they required partial disassembly to fit inside.[10] Housing the troop section were two large side panels; each one held an escape hatch. The rear panel also housed the troop staging area. Positioned in the center of the body section was a rectangular boarding hatch with sliding ramps where the AT-AT's complement of troops loaded and disembarked. An AT-AT unloaded its troops by kneeling to three meters above ground level until the boarding ramp could extend outward.[7] Individual stormtroopers could also be deployed rapidly by rappelling cable.[1]

There is a discussion on there also about the height descrepancies...

I think I'm going to go with the 22.5 meter height estimate however, since that was deduced by the scene of luke on his tow cable under the belly of an at-at during the battle of hoth.  That also makes the most sense to me...

so....

if the at-at is 22.5 meters tall then it's approximately 73 feet tall... and that's  876 inches

so at a 1:18th scale that would mean the at-at would have to be:
48.5 inches tall... or aproximately 4 feet tall.
:)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 06:27:38 PM »
hmmm tamer that is definately a very detailed rendition of the interior...  I think using that as a basis makes this project even more conceivable.  I'll have to either find that book or find some more detailed images online...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 06:29:43 PM »
Its a DK Ultimate Cross Sections book. I think your idea of about 4 feet tall is about right btw.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 06:55:40 PM »
this is interesting... the official star wars website's "databank" says:

Standing a towering 15 meters tall, these walkers are intimidating, and are used as much for psychological effect as they are for tactical effect

at 15meters...  the scale model would only be 2.5 feet tall.   that is more to scale with the existing toy isn't it?  that just doesn't seem big enough! 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 07:02:20 PM »
this is interesting... the official star wars website's "databank" says:

Standing a towering 15 meters tall, these walkers are intimidating, and are used as much for psychological effect as they are for tactical effect

at 15meters...  the scale model would only be 2.5 feet tall.   that is more to scale with the existing toy isn't it?  that just doesn't seem big enough! 

No, it doesn't. Supposedly even two at-st scout walkers could fit and be deployed in the back area where the DK cross section shows the speeder bikes. I think your four feet ideas is a much closer reality. I need to find that daggone German site.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »
Here you go, I found it.

http://www.starconstrux.de/diorama/e5/atat/at-at.htm

It shows about the right size to make it so it will fit three and three quarter figs. I thought the cieling areas might be a bit tall, but heck the more room the merrier. It also, as you can see, was just a half cut away version to show the inside and it doesn't have any legs. I still think it rocks though.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:17:36 PM by Tamer »

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 08:35:41 PM »
ok, that is a rad model.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »
I don't remember those shots of the control room. Now that area is really sweet.