Author Topic: 3 3/4" Marvel Figures  (Read 43753 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
3 3/4" Marvel Figures
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:29:05 AM »
The future of Marvel figures is here.  After this year's Build-A-Figures are released, that format will come to an end.  Hasbro debuted these new figures at ComicCon 2008, and I must say, these do look rather nice.  Not sure what I'll do with my old Legends, but they do look nice.  Plus, it opens the door for some interesting custom ideas using these, G.I. Joes, and Star Wars figures...

Other figures due to be released include The Punnisher, The Silver Surfer, Regular Johnny Storm, Bullseye, and Iron Fist.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: 3 3/4" Marvel Figures
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:29:57 AM »
Ronin provides a great base for Jedi or Sith, doesn't he?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:02:05 PM »
really liking that green goblin. Torchey looks cool, also.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:28:12 PM »
Like the Cap America but i promised myself no more ML!....lol

Offline Obi-Sean Kenobi

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 12:40:05 AM »
Holy Crap, I was just saying to a friend of mine a month or so ago that Hasbro should quit the "Legends scale" and go to 3 3/4". I must be psychic! ;D
"I feel a great disturbance in the force... , though it might just be gas."

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 01:29:07 AM »
T'was the Force Obi..... ;)

Offline Obi-Sean Kenobi

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 03:45:54 PM »
"Hasbro, you will make an all X-MEN wave." jedi

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 05:13:54 PM »
Like DA, I'm probably out of the Legends line for good, but these new 3 3/4 inch ones are nice.  I'm wondering what kinds of accessories they will come with, or what kinds of extras.  Hasbro states they will be out at a price point similar to Star Wars and G.I. Joe, so for $8, it better be good!

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »
To be honest I am hoping they do some female figures without masks and male figures without masks, however would love to see a Shatterstar in his original outfit.

However the only ones I want to see at the min is the Punisher and Normal Johnny Storm.

However as stated with a little bit of imagination and paint you could change the Ninja one into a Sith Assassin.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:50:43 PM by Cimter »

Offline Obi-Sean Kenobi

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 09:52:11 PM »
Shatterstar's original outfit?!? Ick! All trace of artist Rob Liefeld's work in the Marvel Universe should be systematically expunged from continuity. Heck, he should be expunged period. "most talentless person in the field of comics ever!"

Offline Darth Caedus

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 11:10:13 PM »
liefeld work was great(when it was on time) and the original shatterstar looks awesome.

Offline Obi-Sean Kenobi

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 12:06:02 AM »
I'm gonna have to disagree with you. How many years spent penciling and the dude still can't draw the following:

-thumbs
-feet
-faces without ridiculous expression lines
-proportions
-backgrounds
-things in perspective
-realistic weaponry

Plus the man can't even maintain continuity petween panels on a single page. As for the costumes and accessories for the original X-Force team? Cheesy and uninspired, not to mention not particularly rooted in believable reality.
What the heck were all those stupid belts, straps, weapons, pouches, goggles, etc. for? All right, I'll concede that other artists were doing similar things at the time. Jim Lee for example did similar things to the X-Men of the same time.  At least his characters'  look was consistant from panel to panel and still maintained a sleek functional design. I can recall, without even having to go look  through my back issues, a particular issue of X-Force where Mr. Leifeld had decided to redo the look of Cable's bionic arm. In the span of 3 or 4 pages, he declared the new arm in the dialogue text, drawn the new design, within three panels got bored of drawing it the new way and went back to the old version, obviously forgot which of Cable's arms was the bionic one because it switched arms and back again all the while the number of silly pouches or what type of said pouches he has and how many belts he's wearing.

The only reason this guy's crappy art was accepted, was that Todd McFarlane had a similar cartoony style, that was really revolutionary, while doing Spider-man. When Leifeld first got popular and did a few guest artist stints prior to getting the New Mutants assignment, McFarlane was inking his pencils and clearly fixing Rob's goofs. I think this was made his art more paletable at first. It sure fooled me early on. When the NM rebooted to X-Force Rob started doing his own inks and that was where it hit the fan.

As for the costume designs? Well they kinda worked but then every character, hero and villain, would start sporting similar designs. Unless they were just nameless soldier types, in those cases Rob was invariably lazy and just drew in amorphous, vaguely humanoid forms. Things like Shatterstar's headgear? Why? It's ugly and again Leifeld fails to maintain any continuity in it's size and look. It and the other similar headgear modeled by every second other character were there simply to cover up Rob's laziness to draw more faces and to help make the poorly drawn ones of other characters more easily identifiable.

Best thing that ever happened to X-force was Rob Leifeld leaving marvel. For further proof, just look at the rip off characters he created for his image teams. I could draw better than that tool when I was twelve. After he got fired from the company he helped found, I am baffled that he has found work since.

End of rant. 

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 07:39:18 PM »
I have to admit I was never taken with Leifields artwork, however I did like Shatterstar's original costume, you have to remember I am looking at it from a different view point than you, I am looking at it for customising purposes, not collecting purposes.

Offline Obi-Sean Kenobi

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »
Fair enough. I thought his second costume was better though. I supose the first one would be better custom fodder. The second one was more superheroish than star warsy. I just get a little riled up by the mention of Rob Leifeld. That guy is such a hack.

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »
To be honest I would like for them to do the Imperial Guard, Starjammers (Especially Hepzibah - the new version she is very piratey).

And also Kofi, if people dont know who Kofi is he's this guy.

And here's a picture of the New Hepzibah.

Shatterstar.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:12:43 PM by Cimter »