Author Topic: Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett - with SPOILERS  (Read 7895 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett - with SPOILERS
« on: December 29, 2021, 10:09:27 AM »
My brother and I just watched the first episode of BOBF. And now I dare to open this new topic. Shall we make this a spoiler thread?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 01:27:07 AM by Darth More »

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
Re: Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 07:13:56 PM »
YES!! Thank you for taking the dare.
What made it most enjoyable?? No omega character.
This was a very enjoyable episode 1.
I liked the back story, however a more in-depth depiction of his escape from the sarlac pit
would have added a stronger closure to that aspect of Boba Fetts mystique.
The sand people chapter of the story demonstrates Boba's strength, endurance and intellect as well as the cold ruthlessness of the Tusken Raiders.
The sand monster was interesting. Looked like a cross between a minotaur, a reek and something from Harry Potter.
Do you think that Boba killing the monster by choking it with the chain was meant to be a tribute to Princess Leia?
The Gamorrean guards were an unexpected addition to the story.
Where the next 6 episodes of this series go will be exciting to watch.
I'm looking forward to next weeks episode.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 07:29:32 PM by DarthHawk »

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 08:19:17 AM »
I have been reading reviews of The Book of Boba Fett and----HOLY S--T they are not good at all.
I would say that at least 90% of what I have read is highly critical of EVERYTHING about the first episode.
Boba himself, Fennic, the sand monster, the escape from the sarlac pit, the cantina, the Tusken Raiders and everything else. Including Favreau. He is being attacked from every angle possible.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 08:44:33 AM »
Honestly, I wondered about the reviews and agree some of what I have read has not been favorable. Frankly, I don't know what more you would have wanted for the first episode of this? I think people are so caught up in "trolling" they don't know how to be even remotely objective anymore.

I agree we will discuss spoilers here. I mean folks need to be ready for that.

As for the first episode, I loved seeing his flashbacks while he was in the bacta tank. Once again, I don't think we could have asked for a better backstory of how he got out of the pit and into the Tuskens tender loving care.

I also liked seeing how he is going to try and be the new criminal underboss ot Tatooine and do it with respect and how it is so far leading to nothing but trouble. I look for this to get a bit more violent before it gets better, which is great for the show.

I swear the only thing I can say bad is I wanted the episode to be about four hours longer, but that is to be expected. It is so awesome seeing Jon Faveraux's name come up after the episode and know it is gonna be good.

I think the Mandalorian is gonna have competition! I wish they would just put the rest of the movies in his hands and forget about it.

So yes I really enjoyed it. Plan on going back and watching it again today to see the easter eggs I no doubt missed when watching it the first time. I cannot wait to see what more trouble he gets into and blasts his way out of next week. Surely we are gonna see the Slave I in a fight or three as well!

Bravo Jon!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 08:59:00 AM by Tamer »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 08:55:59 AM »
I liked it, even though I'm not especially a fan of Boba Fett. I agree with Tamer my only complaint is, it was short. They had some cool western and samurai movie motifs, and strangely enough The 10 Commandments. The title is a reference to the movie and Exodus 2:22 where moses says I was a stranger in a strange land. I like the parallels between being a stanger in the sandpeople's land and being a stanger in mos espa as a diamyo. In both cases he has to prove himself, to gain respect and acceptance.
I probably watchrd it 4 or 5 times waiting for the stupid refrigerator that never came.

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 12:00:08 PM »
I liked it. I don't know why there's so much negative reviews about it. Sure it's not perfect but nothing is. I think there's just a lot of people with their own high expectations for Boba Fett and "how it should be."

I love Robert Rodriguez and thought the first episode was pretty awesome! Can definitely tell it's in his style with the music and subtle humour.

The only things I didn't like was they used a Japanese feudal term "Daimyo" for Star Wars which almost means the same thing in the show's context? Small nuance, not that important.

I do find Boba Fett is slightly too benevolent and kind for his character though.

Still excited to see where this goes! Those new black robed Tuskens are the coolest thing in the show so far.
I liked it, even though I'm not especially a fan of Boba Fett. I agree with Tamer my only complaint is, it was short. They had some cool western and samurai movie motifs, and strangely enough The 10 Commandments. The title is a reference to the movie and Exodus 2:22 where moses says I was a stranger in a strange land. I like the parallels between being a stanger in the sandpeople's land and being a stanger in mos espa as a diamyo. In both cases he has to prove himself, to gain respect and acceptance.
I probably watchrd it 4 or 5 times waiting for the stupid refrigerator that never came.
Honestly, I wondered about the reviews and agree some of what I have read has not been favorable. Frankly, I don't know what more you would have wanted for the first episode of this? I think people are so caught up in "trolling" they don't know how to be even remotely objective anymore.

I agree we will discuss spoilers here. I mean folks need to be ready for that.

As for the first episode, I loved seeing his flashbacks while he was in the bacta tank. Once again, I don't think we could have asked for a better backstory of how he got out of the pit and into the Tuskens tender loving care.

I also liked seeing how he is going to try and be the new criminal underboss ot Tatooine and do it with respect and how it is so far leading to nothing but trouble. I look for this to get a bit more violent before it gets better, which is great for the show.

I swear the only thing I can say bad is I wanted the episode to be about four hours longer, but that is to be expected. It is so awesome seeing Jon Faveraux's name come up after the episode and know it is gonna be good.

I think the Mandalorian is gonna have competition! I wish they would just put the rest of the movies in his hands and forget about it.

So yes I really enjoyed it. Plan on going back and watching it again today to see the easter eggs I no doubt missed when watching it the first time. I cannot wait to see what more trouble he gets into and blasts his way out of next week. Surely we are gonna see the Slave I in a fight or three as well!

Bravo Jon!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 02:53:38 PM »
  Diamyo during feudal Japan, basically meant warlord or clan leader. Japan was fractured into different states run by a clan leader, after the shogunate lost power.
I think something similar is happening on Tatooine, after Jabbas death the power vacuum gave rise to many different criminal syndicates, with a diamyo being the leader of a sydicate, as opposed to all the syndicates. Boba Fett's territory must be exclusive to mos espa. I think the Trandoshan wanted to tell Fett to stay in his place within mos espa lest he be killed. Or he was saying boba fett would die there. Even boba fett was unsure of his meaning.

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 03:38:39 PM »
I was trying to be as spoiler exempt as possible with my first post and since that has gone to hell in a handbasket let's keep going.
Episode 1 was really, really, good. I have questions and wish there had beens but they don't take away from the show.
Tamer and many others hit the nail on the head with this episode needed to be waaaayyyy longer. At least an hour. And his escape from the sarlaac lacked in details. Ignite the jet pack and blast your ass out of there!!
The flashbacks are a nice touch. Too bad we didn't get to see Jango's head laying on the ground when young Boba picks up his helmet.
Sooo, are we supposed to think that since Jabba has bitten the dust, yes pun intended, there is now a planet wide power struggle for control of his underworld crime syndicate?
I find this belief to be farfetched. The Hutts are notoriously known for swooping in and immediately taking over the operations of another Hutt that has passed on and would not allow non Hutt's to take control of Jabbas crime organization.
Regarding the costuming of the characters-Boba's new "outfit" is exactly what I expected.
Familiar enough to maintain the original design yet nuanced enough to contain updated gadgets.
Boba did show his benevolent side when he let the kid take all the credit for killing and beheading the sand monster.
I'll end with this. Can someone tell me about the gourds that are buried in the desert?
What are they? How did they get buried in the sand? How do the sandpeople know where the gourds are buried? How do the gourds keep the water fresh and from evaporating while buried in the sand?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 03:58:56 PM »
When Jabba died the Hutt clan lost a lot of power, and territory. That's why bib fortuna took his place. Of course bib fortuna was an idiot and probably let his gang lose power to the other surrounding syndicates. Jabba's palace was pretty empty when boba took over.  In the episode, the scene where the moisture farm was being raided, that was the Red Key Raiders, referenced in the Mandalorian.

As for bobas's benevolence, i mean he's the main character, he has to be somewhat of a "good guy". I think escaping from the Sarlacc and having his armor stripped off was symbolic of a rebirth. He's no longer the heartless bounty hunter he once was. Becoming a slave to the sandpeople was certainly humbling.

I think those sand pods were some kind of a fruit that grows in the sand. Like a sand cucumber.

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 06:21:47 PM »
That's a good point JDeck - His time with the Tuskens will probably show how he developed into the Boba we see now as opposed to the cold old OTC Boba.
That is my bad, sorry.
When Jabba died the Hutt clan lost a lot of power, and territory. That's why bib fortuna took his place. Of course bib fortuna was an idiot and probably let his gang lose power to the other surrounding syndicates. Jabba's palace was pretty empty when boba took over.  In the episode, the scene where the moisture farm was being raided, that was the Red Key Raiders, referenced in the Mandalorian.

As for bobas's benevolence, i mean he's the main character, he has to be somewhat of a "good guy". I think escaping from the Sarlacc and having his armor stripped off was symbolic of a rebirth. He's no longer the heartless bounty hunter he once was. Becoming a slave to the sandpeople was certainly humbling.

I think those sand pods were some kind of a fruit that grows in the sand. Like a sand cucumber.

I was trying to be as spoiler exempt as possible with my first post and since that has gone to hell in a handbasket let's keep going.
Episode 1 was really, really, good. I have questions and wish there had beens but they don't take away from the show.
Tamer and many others hit the nail on the head with this episode needed to be waaaayyyy longer. At least an hour. And his escape from the sarlaac lacked in details. Ignite the jet pack and blast your ass out of there!!
The flashbacks are a nice touch. Too bad we didn't get to see Jango's head laying on the ground when young Boba picks up his helmet.
Sooo, are we supposed to think that since Jabba has bitten the dust, yes pun intended, there is now a planet wide power struggle for control of his underworld crime syndicate?
I find this belief to be farfetched. The Hutts are notoriously known for swooping in and immediately taking over the operations of another Hutt that has passed on and would not allow non Hutt's to take control of Jabbas crime organization.
Regarding the costuming of the characters-Boba's new "outfit" is exactly what I expected.
Familiar enough to maintain the original design yet nuanced enough to contain updated gadgets.
Boba did show his benevolent side when he let the kid take all the credit for killing and beheading the sand monster.
I'll end with this. Can someone tell me about the gourds that are buried in the desert?
What are they? How did they get buried in the sand? How do the sandpeople know where the gourds are buried? How do the gourds keep the water fresh and from evaporating while buried in the sand?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 02:43:24 PM by MandoMuggle »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 08:11:54 AM »
Lots of good thoughts here.

I love the respect motto he is going with, but we are gonna see an episode where don't misinterpret that with weakness. Its gonna happen.

I can see the Hutts showing up at some point too. That will be fun to have a new Hutt.

I have a feeling we are also gonna see some of the Mandalorian folks show up a bit here and there to keep the idea of a crossover happening between all the new shows popping up.

I also think we will see further Tusken relationship episodes. It wouldn't suprise me if Boba is now the Mandalore of the Tuskens and he has a standing army ready to roll should a droid army or some mercanary force show up.

Anyone like me waiting for a vehicle battle to take place? I wonder what ground ride Boba is gonna have now (speeder or bike or some such thing).

Any when are we gonna see the Slave I in a space fight!

Offline DarthHawk

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 03:38:20 PM »
The more I read the reviews on other sites, especially rebel scum, I am amazed at how this 1st episode is being ripped to shreds.
It's the last jedi all over again.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 06:49:19 AM »
I think people in the US are just depressed and angry all the time now and it is coming out of them with whatever.

I don't get it. I think its awesome. I am not ready to say its better than the Mandalorian yet, but man it has the potential!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 09:15:02 PM »
I get some of the griping. I was left wanting more, that's good in a sense. My biggest gripe about the Mandalorian was how slow, and dragged out it was. I get that. I had a YouTube suggestion, "Beta Fett" or whatever, of course the same old same about how Disney is going bankrupt. Boba fett is old, the way he lived his life, he's lucky to have lived that long. I was happy in the belief he died in the sarlacc.  I'm 35 and I wish I had a bacta tank to sleep in. Pretty much every bone in my body hurts. That's another reason why he chooses to be more cerebral, and thinks before fighting. When you're young, you fight first, think last, but as you get older, you learn. I like that he has weaknesses, it makes him human. The people who say he's underpowerded are probably the same people who say Rey is a MarySue.

One thing about bounty hunting is, the mark is not a person, it's a product. If the hunter thinks of a bounty as a person, they fail. When Boba is faced with people who aren't bounties, he may have a different view. Like the Tusken Kid, he could have seen himself in him. Boba had a very difficult upbringing. Like this kid could have  living up to the pressures of being a future leader.  Of course by the time he could have bashed the kid's brains in, the other more formidable tuskens would have caught up with him.  So it was better for him to run than to kill that kid. After getting his butt kickef by the older tusken, he took the subordinate job of being a slave to the Tusken kid.  To be a leader, you have to know how it is to take commands. That was a learning experience for him.  If you were to tell me that a bounty hunter could  lead a  criminal empire I would question that. Bounty hunters are followers, or independent contractors at best.  Boba needed some leadership skills to become a true leader.  Bib Fortuna was a follower, who was immediately put into the leader position. Under his leadership, the once great jabba empire was, reduced to a few Gamorean guards and the territory constrained to Mos Espa, a small fraction of Jabba's empire. Not even all of Tatooine, a planet with no resources and being in the outer of the outer rim, no real logistical significance.  This is what Boba Fett inherited, so, he's basically working from the ground up, potentially restoring the Jabba Empire under his name.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 11:06:59 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 07:24:18 AM »
Oh yeah, the idea is to leave us wanting more. I watched it again last night. I saw even more things. Man, that bacta room and the new palace room is gonna be fantastic for dios and dio pieces.

Trust me, I don't look for Boba Fett to be complacent for too much longer.