Author Topic: The Mandalorian: A Game Changer for the Cinematic Industry  (Read 13989 times)

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
Re: The Mandalorian
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 12:05:23 PM »
The good:
-Insight into Mandalorian culture. I.e., hints of how foundlings (abandoned children) become Mandalorian. The gritty world is back, like the best undertones of the underworld in Return of the Jedi (but the focus this time!). I know a lot of people had issue with the music, but I loved it. The costumes look authentic. They were well planned and executed. The pacing and character development is amazing. Aliens and droids. In abundance!

The bad:
Episodes are too short. There's not really an "opening" to the show.

Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 04:43:08 PM »
I watched it yesterday morning. I've been waiting on this for the simple reason that I feel anything Jon Favreau touches turns to gold. I love the guy! He is especially on his game when he's passionate about the content he's given to work with. He shined with his stint at Marvel Studios and I knew he was a Star Wars fan. Of coarse he blew it out of the water! Props too, to Dave Filoni for his Direction.

I'll be honest. I stopped watching the films after TFA. I won't get into my particular qualms... lets just say this new stuff ain't my cup of tea. When I heard about the Mandalorian and Favreau's involvement, I knew this would be the franchise savior. "I have spoken". (If you saw the episode you understand that phrase.)

Tamer, you are exactly right about the Western feel. A lot of Sergio Leone influence there, but there were also scenes taken strait from classic westerns as well. John Wayne's The Searchers comes to mind. You know I'm all about classic cinema. Remember my digital art with Clint Eastwood and the Dewback, 'A Fist Full Of Credits'. It's totally that!

It's everything Star Wars is supposed to be. Classic aliens are finally back! Giant monsters and interesting settings. Fantasy and mystery is back. And only Jon Favreau would have a big enough set of cahonies to even allow the phrase 'Life Day' be uttered! So much more, but watch it for yourselves and enjoy because Star Wars is BACK! 10/10

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 04:07:31 AM »
I am glad folks are liking it like me.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 05:59:29 AM »
First of all, I'd very much like to know why Disney+ has been rolled out the way it has. As many of you know, I live in the Netherlands. We have had Disney+ for free for the past month and a half or so. We were the only country to have had pre-access to it. Of course, that's a great gesture, but the fact itself remains strange to me. Even more strange is the fact that Disney+ as of November 12 is limited to a few countries (USA, Canada, Netherlands and later on Australia?). Really weird that large SW based countries like the UK, Germany, heck, the whole world, still won't have access to it. I haven't checked pirate sites yet, but I think this will lead to The Mandalorian be the single most pirated series of all time, even surpassing Game of Thrones. Not sure if that's a record Disney should be proud of...

Back on topic: I woke up last Tuesday morning at 5:45 to do my daily half hour workout, but first checked Disney+ I saw The Mandalorian was already available (expected a release of 12 pm Pacific Time, which is 21pm my time), but of course I had to wait the entire day, because I also have a job at the office :)

Anyway, after work we settled down on the couch, with our dinner plate and a cold one and fired up the Mandalorian!

Holy Bantha, what an impressive first episode! Loved every second of it. I've read some comments that the show is geared a bit too much to Star Wars fans and not enough to a more general audience. Well, guess what, it is intentionally geared to Star Wars fans, and rightfully so. It is clearly made FOR the fans and even better, by fans. Filoni came out on top big time with his first live action debut.

The whole look and feel of it just oozes Star Wars. During the entire episode I was like "yeah, nice, cool, great" when another nod or reference to 42 years of Star Wars came along.

I personally like how we kinda get thrown in the world of the Mandalorian, instead of getting a lengthy introduction to who he is and why he does what he does. Telling his history over the course of the series by means of short flashbacks is perfectly fine by me.

That scene in the cantina is just sheer brilliance. Immediately I thought of that scene in Tarantino's Hateful Eight and half expected one of the partons to shout "close the door!" :D

Loved the scenes in the Razor's Crest too. Pretty funny to have that blue fella trying to talk his way out of the mess he's in, and the Mandalorian just sitting there, not saying a word. And what about that portable carbon freeze tub! That incident on Cloud City really kicked the whole carbon freeze chamber market in a higher gear :D

Really cool to see those Bllurgs, do you guys think those latest events took place on Ryloth?

And what about IG-11? Very cool to see an IG droid in action. Wow! Makes the T-800 look like a toddler!

That last scene was just mind blowing. No other words for it.

I'm also very anxious to find out what really happened to the people of Mandalore. Apparently they really ended up on the wrong end of the Clone Wars, the Galactic Civil War? Who knows.

Yup, I'm hooked and can't wait till tomorrow, when episode 2 launches.

Bravo Disney. Bravo Mr. Favreau. Bravo Mr. Filoni. Star Wars is back.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 01:39:58 AM »
This show makes all other attempts before it... Except the best of the CW... A joke. No reason this shouldn't have happened 20yrs ago in some
Capacity.

The 2nd EP was incredible!!! All the jawa stuff! It reminded me of marvel #32! If I would've saw that episode as a kid in 1977 it would've blew my damn mind!!!!

Soo much I 💕 love right now... IG-11 (that was crazy right!), the kubaz (long snout) playing a flute! To call a junky speeder driven by Brian Posehn, tame/riding blurrg's, HERZOG himself... I could go on and on

Only the most salty / jaded fans don't like it. For really stupid reasons.

My only 2 real minor gripes are the random and lame "SW helmet into" I've no clue why they came up with that? Also I'm not a fan of the music... It was better in 2nd episode thou. I just think the "composer" is a lame hack and uninspired. I know he's a muti- Grammy and Oscar winner. But his music sux (in my opinion)... But I like real Electronic and Industrial not this millennial over produced "hip-hop" garbage. These clowns today are just impostors who don't know anything but the equipment they buy or busy ripping other people off.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 03:25:01 AM by (SID) »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 07:28:19 AM »
I like the fact that they just kind of started too. No origin story yet, no major flashbacks yet, we just get right to the action. I am wondering if we are just gonna get one new episode on Friday each week now?

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2019, 09:03:15 AM »
I like the fact that they just kind of started too. No origin story yet, no major flashbacks yet, we just get right to the action. I am wondering if we are just gonna get one new episode on Friday each week now?

Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 03:54:06 AM »
Hey RC thanks for the schedule I will know when to go watch now.

Offline JTrooper

• Master Toy Maker
  • Colonel
  • Mater Toy Maker
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 04:17:08 AM »
Watch the second epi. It's awesome  can't wait till my boys see it. I have spoken.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2019, 06:35:34 AM »
WOW don't waste anytime  bbfet... Watch EP3 of Mando ASAP the amount of action is nuts  ()rr x1000... It has everything... More than all the DISNEY SW (minus Rouge One) combined.

I would've been jumping up and down as child, nearly screaming.  DH

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 08:18:50 AM »
They are all good, but yes episode 3 is the one that really knocks it home!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 05:07:07 AM »
ILMFX uploaded a behind the scenes Video of The Virtual Production of The Mandalorian to wrap up & honor Season One of the series.

Stay tuned for some interesting interviews and exciting impressions:

The Virtual Production of The Mandalorian, Season One

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 11:01:00 AM »
Nice, off to the front pages.

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 07:54:54 PM »
ILMFX uploaded a behind the scenes Video of The Virtual Production of The Mandalorian to wrap up & honor Season One of the series.

Stay tuned for some interesting interviews and exciting impressions:

The Virtual Production of The Mandalorian, Season One

I watched it yesterday morning. I've been waiting on this for the simple reason that I feel anything Jon Favreau touches turns to gold. I love the guy! He is especially on his game when he's passionate about the content he's given to work with. He shined with his stint at Marvel Studios and I knew he was a Star Wars fan. Of coarse he blew it out of the water! Props too, to Dave Filoni for his Direction.

I'll be honest. I stopped watching the films after TFA. I won't get into my particular qualms... lets just say this new stuff ain't my cup of tea. When I heard about the Mandalorian and Favreau's involvement, I knew this would be the franchise savior. "I have spoken". (If you saw the episode you understand that phrase.)

Tamer, you are exactly right about the Western feel. A lot of Sergio Leone influence there, but there were also scenes taken strait from classic westerns as well. John Wayne's The Searchers comes to mind. You know I'm all about classic cinema. Remember my digital art with Clint Eastwood and the Dewback, 'A Fist Full Of Credits'. It's totally that!

It's everything Star Wars is supposed to be. Classic aliens are finally back! Giant monsters and interesting settings. Fantasy and mystery is back. And only Jon Favreau would have a big enough set of cahonies to even allow the phrase 'Life Day' be uttered! So much more, but watch it for yourselves and enjoy because Star Wars is BACK! 10/10

Couldnt agree more!

Love how this series brings innovation back to the film industry!

Cannot wait for S2!

One thing that i cant wrap my head around though was how they all just assumed Gideon died and everythings okay?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 05:10:40 AM »
Yeah, that was not smart.

I like the fact he custom himself out of that TIE with a darksaber even though the cockpit door still worked.