Author Topic: Clonehead's Custom Figures reloaded  (Read 144384 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's Custom Figures
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2009, 09:17:10 PM »
Next, I chose a larger guage of copper insulated wire for the visor light. I trimmed a proper length of wire and insulation and then trimmed some of the insulation off of the end of the piece and bent a 90 right where the insulation ended. I then, took the pin vise and drilled a hole down through the top of the visor on the right side for the uninsulated part of the wire that bends down would insert. I trimmed that end to a length so that it would not penitrate past the bottom side of that visor and glued it into place.
  After the glue dried, I painted the antenna black, and I painted the visor light black where the thin piece of wire bends down into the visor, light grey along the barrel of the light, and white on the end where the bulb is to simulate a lighted visor light.
A little touch up painting was required on the visor where the excess superglue made things glossy and to the helmet where the antenna was mounted.
 In the one shot, you can see the trimmed light piece in my palm to the left of the piece of wire it came from.
 In the one shot, you see the same piece in my tweezers ready to mount. When dropped on the carpet, this piece proved a challenge to find.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »
One more shot of the helmet with unpainted accessories.
One shot of them with paint. It's hard to make out the detail on the visor light because of it's size. It looks better in person.
two shots of the completed figure. Remember, you can click on these shots to make them bigger.

It's a wrap, folks. Another one Done!!!!!!

I will take a few more final reveal shots, tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:23:54 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »
Oops, page change......
Here are a couple of Fox shots that i took last night. I will take some more final reveal shots, today including an outside shot or two. Nothing beats natural light.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:07:42 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:15 AM »
Alright, how about some brighter shots of this Fox figure?
  It's final reveal time, folks!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »
more Fox shots.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2009, 11:29:40 AM »
These first two shots were taken outside on my deck.
The third shot shows a comparrison inbetween Fox and the 327th Star Corps fig that he was customized from.
The fourth shot shows Fox hanging with his buddies on my custom fig shelf.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2009, 09:01:01 PM »
OK, it's time to move on to the next project or two.
First off, it has been requested that I do one or two of Fox's support troops, the Coruscant Guard, Legacy style, following this pic from wikia.com, for referance.

A natural starting point for this custom would be the Legacy clone trooper officer fig that I opened and reviewed earlier today.
  The first step is naturally to paint all of his armor with acrylic white to give the red markings that will come later something friendly to stick to.
And it has begun.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:03:00 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2009, 09:15:39 PM »
To keep things interesting, I am starting another custom at the same time. It has also been requested that I re-do a copy of a custom that I have in my personal collection and made over a year ago.
We are going to make this Saga Jango Fett figure on the right look like my customized snow mando figure on the left.
The first step here is to paint all of his undercoverings the same Floquil dark flat brown that I used for the snow mando and the AOTC ATAT driver.
And it has begun, again.

Both these projects could go fairly quickly with the trickey part of the Coruscant Guard being the funky red graphics and belt mod and the trickey part of the Snow Mando being the fabrication of his papermache cape with simulated hood detail. The question is, which one will be done first? It's like a race in between two customs.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2009, 08:20:01 PM »
Work left me too pooped to do much custom work tonight. I did get the lighter brown color painted onto the snow mando's holsters, belt , straps, and boots.  I think it's wild how the same brown on the two figure's undercoverings looks so much darker next to the white armor plates of the old snow mando compared to how it looks next to the silver armor plates of the new one.

Offline masterfett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2009, 11:17:52 PM »
Is there any chance you guys can help me with a backside shot?
The only image I can find is of the actual TCW figure hope that helps, I've not been able to find any CGI reference shots.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »
Is there any chance you guys can help me with a backside shot?
The only image I can find is of the actual TCW figure hope that helps, I've not been able to find any CGI reference shots.

that does help, Masterfett. thanks for that. the markings on the arms don't quite resemble those shown in the actual CW movie. Interesting.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:43:26 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2009, 01:59:36 AM »
Work still has me pooped out this week but I did manage to get a little painting done tonight.
  Looks like we are going to follow the images from the actual animated character as far as the red markings go, more closely than the actual CW figure except for the areas where I can't see, like the elbow plate. That way, they will conform more closely with how I did the Rex fig. Kinda funny how Hasbro's accuracy in this figs markings could have been less flawed.
  Anyway, I didn't get much done and what is here may still require some touchup. I got the markings on his head including that thin red line that wraps all the way around, did the markings on his shoulder plates, and  the markings on his knee plates as well. I'll do the lower legs, next, then the arms, and then the chest.
  And, yes, those are DC heroes PJ bottoms that I'm wearing.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2009, 09:11:17 AM »
Finally, I get a day off where I can do some custom work.
I touched up the markings on the forehead and thickened up the markings on the shoulder pads, a bit.
  Certain indiscrepencies of this body are starting to remind me of the same indiscrepencies in the Fox figure's base body. Why, for instance, is the one elbow plate molded cocked to one side while the other one is straight? Why is the one knee pad molded cocked to one angle when the other one is straight up and down? And, the most obvious, look at the back of the lower legs. Notice how the recessed area on the one side is set so much lower from the top of that armor piece than the other side? My red stripe there makes it that much more obvious. I will have to figure out a way to hide that, somehow. I had the same problem with the Fox figure.
  I started on the markings at the lower leg and elbow pad areas.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:21:17 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2009, 09:24:39 AM »
After some touch up, the lower leg markings look better but I might have to work on them some more. The markings on the back of the elbow plates look about how I want them.
  That length difference from the recessed area to the top on the back of the legs still buggs me.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2009, 12:38:33 PM »
I'm  making some more progress with the painting of this Coroscant gaurd fig.
I went ahead and touched up the markings on the front of the lower legs and using the completed Fox figure's paint as a guide, I started work on his chest graphics.