Author Topic: Vehicle jedi starfighter + docking ring  (Read 7692 times)

Offline Silversurfer

• Cadet
Vehicle jedi starfighter + docking ring
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:07:25 AM »
Hello guys!

After seeing so many great customized vehicles, finally decided to make an account. I'm defenitely not an expert. Pretty much the only thing i have worked on are 2 A-wings. Quite simpel and basic:

I'm going to work on a jedi starfighter toy including hyperspace docking ring. Though I HATE the prequels, I love de vehicle desings. The ship is going to have a repaint. I'm thinking about going for a white/silver metallic color with additional colors. Not sure yet. I want to include it with several LED's, though not sure how. This is the toy:

We'll see what happens! One important question. Do you guys use primer before painting? Does it add a lot of advantages or not?  Also sorry for my bad english sometimes :-)

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Re: Vehicle jedi starfighter + docking ring
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:23:50 AM »
Hello guys!

After seeing so many great customized vehicles, finally decided to make an account. I'm defenitely not an expert. Pretty much the only thing i have worked on are 2 A-wings. Quite simplel and basic:

I'm going to work on a jedi starfighter toy including hyperspace docking ring. Though I HATE the prequels, I love de vehicle desings. The ship is going to have a repaint. I'm thinking about going for a white/silver metallic color with additional colors. Not sure yet. I want to include it with several LED's, though not sure how. This is the toy:

We'll see what happens! One important question. Do you guys use primer before painting? Does it add a lot of advantages or not?  Also sorry for my bad english sometimes :-)

Welcome from another relative noob, Silversurfer.

I haven't done any vehicles yet, but I have painted big pieces of plastic.  A primer is very important, because acrylic paint will chip.  There are several spray-on plastic primers in black or white, but they tend to be expensive (at least in the US, > $8).  Krylon Fusion spray paint also sticks to plastic and it comes in dozens of colors.   The Home Depot came out with their own version of Krylon Fusion for about $5 a can, and they even have metallic colors.   Lightly sand the vehicle, wash off dust with soap and let it dry before spraying.  I'd give it a day before detailing.   I've used Fusion on action figures joints and it sticks reasonably well as long as the joints aren't too tight.

BTW, I love the yellow A-wing too.  I only have the green A-wing and love it just the way it is.  I cant wait to see what you do with the docking ring.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:28:52 AM by Sjefke »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:26:27 AM »
Hello guys!

After seeing so many great customized vehicles, finally decided to make an account. I'm defenitely not an expert. Pretty much the only thing i have worked on are 2 A-wings. Quite simplel and basic:

Welcome from another relative noob, Silversurfer.

I haven't done any vehicles yet, but I have painted big pieces of plastic.  A primer is very important, because acrylic paint will chip.  There are several spray-on plastic primers in black or white, but they tend to be expensive (at least in the US, > $8).  Krylon Fusion spray paint also sticks to plastic and it comes in dozens of colors.   The Home Depot came out with their own version of Krylon Fusion for about $5 a can, and they even have metallic colors.   Lightly sand the vehicle, wash off dust with soap and let it dry before spraying.  I'd give it a day before detailing.   I've used Fusion on action figures joints and it sticks reasonably well as long as the joints aren't too tight.

BTW, I love the yellow A-wing too.  I only have the green A-wing and love it just the way it is.  I cant wait to see what you do with the docking ring.

I agree with that.
A primer is very important for repaints. I use a Tamiya-primer for my customs or model kits.
I can't wait to see your Jedi starfighter repaint.

Welcome on board.

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »
You started really well!

I love your paint app, and also the astromech droid mod in the blue A-wing.

Offline Silversurfer

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »
Thanks  a lot for the welcome guys!!!! Also thanks for the advice :D I have used primer before, with mixed feelings. But I defenitely will stay with it now. For now, I will start on the electronics because they have to be finished before the painting. Building in the led's actually seems more difficult than I expected....n00bmistake!! But í'm working on it so I'll see where that brings me  :) Pics asap!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 03:01:50 PM »
Welcome to the Yards! Love your work on those A-Wings! Especially adding that R-2 Unit, something I like to do too. Also, a primer is a must as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't repaint a vehicle without it.

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »
HOLY BANTHA POODOO....YES YES YES.  AWESOME WORK...BRILLIANCE AT IT'S MOST BRILLIANT.   ;D ;D ;D
ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline Silversurfer

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 04:52:56 AM »
Welcome to the Yards! Love your work on those A-Wings! Especially adding that R-2 Unit, something I like to do too. Also, a primer is a must as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't repaint a vehicle without it.

HOLY BANTHA POODOO....YES YES YES.  AWESOME WORK...BRILLIANCE AT IT'S MOST BRILLIANT.   ;D ;D ;D

Thanks guys!! I really like this forum, i'm so amazed by all the creative custom things here.

Offline Silversurfer

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »
Hello guys!

Still working on de lighting. The first led's are installed now, see pictures. The original idea was to use red lights instead of green but I couldn't find them in the area here. I'm thinking about more led's but i'm afraid that will be too distracting from other aspects of the ship. But who knows!

The hyperspace ring also will probably incluse some lights. But then the ring won't be able  to seperate from the ship, so it's still a thought.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »
Awesome light-effect  :o
The green leds are perfect for Jedi vehicles.
I think the ring would also look great with some leds but it is a difficult decision.

great job

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 03:29:16 PM »
One word....SUPERB.
ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline bump

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 04:00:13 PM »
Excellent work, love the effect of the LEDs in the cockpit

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 03:37:11 AM »
Wow, this is looking great. Off to share.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 08:08:39 AM »
Looking good! 2 questions, Is there a way of dimming these leds? They seem a bit too bright and do you plan to surround them with tinfoil or something to prevent the light leaking into the gaps in the vehicle?

Offline Silversurfer

• Cadet
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »
Thanks people for the support!

Looking good! 2 questions, Is there a way of dimming these leds? They seem a bit too bright and do you plan to surround them with tinfoil or something to prevent the light leaking into the gaps in the vehicle?

Thank you and good questions.

1: They do look very bright, I agree. But that's mostly because of the camara and the dark room. In real life they look less bright. Hope it will match up with the paint, or else i need to think of something. 
2: I didn't use tinfoil/other material. I will glue the annoying gaps in the vehicle. For the rest, I hope that the paint will stop the light from bleeding through the plastic :)