Author Topic: My First Custom Painted vehicals  (Read 8149 times)

Spookymufu

Re: My First Custom Painted vehicals
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 02:31:36 PM »
that is one hard ridden x-wing, looks like it's well used!

nice job

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »
that looks frikken sweet  !!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I am pretty proud of this one.

Ssssshhhh Hangerbay don’t tell everyone my plans to release these decals in every major color combo and flood the custom universe with new X-Wing variants! I am joking about you ruining the release of course; hell I hope your helping with it! What better PR then to get the Hangerbay endorsement!

Again there are a few last details to do before I can put this one down as finished. Cockpit needs to be painted still and I need to figure out how to do the markings on the S-foils to show 9. An suggestions would be very welcome indeed.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 06:05:47 PM »
Wow! That x-wing is rockin, dude!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2011, 06:23:47 PM »
This X-Wing is just stunning! Such great paint work and weathering then the decal is the iceing! I would love to hear some details about your techniques for this paint job. Can't wait to see this one finished, I am a major fan of Rebels and their vehicles!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2011, 06:08:42 AM »
Well daggone!

What can I say, tremendous. It will be on the front page today. I guarantee it.

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2011, 08:51:59 AM »
Well the weathering is just a simple dirty brush on effect with black gray and tan paints that gave it a really worn and used effect. It really does seem to me to represent what a fighter would look like on when the owner is on the run and has to hide it and is only able to do minimal repairs and those focusing more on the actual working parts instead of the exterior bits.

The deco work is what I am very proud of. All the markings on the S-foils and the fuselage are all stickers. No painting required only some simple trimming! Yet what really helps out this vehicle, I think, is the way that the stickers were done. I took the FX X-Wing sticker sheet that I found online and got rid of a lot of the stickers I felt weren’t needed and added the kill markings and the Rouge Squadron insignias. Since I knew I was going to print the kill markings on clear sticker sheets I decided that I should print everything on clear sheets. That’s when I had a revelation!

I opened up Photoshop and went to work. After adjusting and getting the coloring the way I wanted I then went and carefully too all the nicks, scrapes, chips and other weathering marks that were on the original stickers and simply erased them figuring that if the sticker sheet were clear and the paint had really been removed by wear or chipped off from things hitting it that the fuselage would be showing and instead of trying to match that color or having to paint the entire ship with a basecoat and then apply more paint on top of that this would be a much easier solution.

I think that the results speak for themselves too. The clear stickers allow the original details to come through and also the colors are more subdued and come out more muted then if a white sticker was used. The clear sticker sheet I used is also thinner so when it is applied over a bodyline or panel edge it can be simply be pushed into the body line with a fingernail so it appears to be following the contours more like paint. This defiantly gives it a more used and worn, real-life appearance. 

Now I also printed out on clear sticker sheet a reproduction of original decals for my Vintage B-Wing…. Yea those will have to be redone on a white sheet, as the details are very, very hard to make out now. So the use of clear isn’t always the best choice.

As Hangerbay said, I will now be able to make just about any color X-Wing squadron colors that anyone will ever want and they will be simple to apply too boot. A straight edge, cutting board and a good hobby knife will be the only things required to change your fighters about. I am also working on making a set of “clean” markings so you can have fresh off the line fighter if you wanted.

Again thanks to everyone for all the comments and praise. I feel proud of what I have here but I still think that it pails in the light of many others amazing work that has been shown on this sight. Once I get everything finished on my end and also get to see what my silent helper has done with his version of the project I will try to figure out the best way to use my creation to help the community.

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »
Well I am just posting this cause I don't know where else to post it.... scored another large X-Wing the other day off of Craigslist.com 25.00$ SHIPPED and I got it within 24 hours!!! It is the orginal Luke Skywalker X-Wing and it was just a bit dusty. Oh and the lower S-Foils were sagging so I fixed that with a dunk in HOT water and then an ice bath to fix them right up. On a side note, this one's deco is painted on. It seems that all but the one with the super blacked out engines are painted while that one has stickers for the deco work.

Now as my wife was telling me no more for a while I felt the need to say, " But baby, all I need is Red 1 and I will have every one that was issued!!"

Well hello there couch with my pillow on it.

I just wish that I could find a Red 1 for a cheap price but I refuse to spend the 50$ PLUS that they seem to go for on Ebay.com

Offline ScreamingSamuraiStudio

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2011, 04:53:12 AM »
Dude,
   You're scoring ALL of the X-Wings. But alas..we must always heed the command of Darth Wife. Who will always stand as an oppositional force to our fleet building.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2011, 04:59:27 AM »
Very true Screaming Samurai. Very true indeed. I am glad she is my wife for a few reasons. When I told her I had gotten an X-Wing off of Craigslist she replied that she should be happy that was all I had gotten off of there. Also I am glad she is my wife because she does let me indulge in my fanboy stuff and play with toys still. She has even said she would dressup in the metal bikini too so I can't be too mad at her when she says no every once and a while when I want a new ship.

Of course as I type this I know of 2 Red 1's that are for sale cheap and I might have to use the Jedi mind trick on her and go ahead and get one!

Offline ScreamingSamuraiStudio

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2011, 06:09:44 AM »
I bet she's just thinking of the space that all of them will take out of her house. I haven't even told mine how big the Bespin diorama is going to be.
  I have an X-Wing on the bench, but I have to kit bash a cockpit into it.  It was the version that had the little moving Luke head. I think the wings on mine sag, but I was going to use Brass sheets to reinforce the bottom of the wings.

Offline finn

• Ensign
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »
Well ScreamingSamurai to fix the sagging wings on my newest X-Wing all I did was heat some water up in the microwave for about 10 minutes and then let the wings sit in the water for about 2 minutes. took them out and laid them on a towel and put a handy pot from the stove on top of them to keep them flat while they cooled. Nice and easy and they haven't sagged back yet.

Now I know I haven't posted anything new lately but I was working on an idea for an Imperial Royal Guard TIE Interceptor. We have the standard blues and the 181st with the red stripe on the solar panels but who would like to see a Royal Guard version be issued? If it was I think it would look something like this. I would love to hear feedback on this concept.

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »
Corran Horn is one of my favorites, too.  I've been wanting to do an X-Wing in CorSec colors.    Great job!

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
  • "A comMAHND post for the EMpiah!"
    • Psyclone Design
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2011, 12:22:33 PM »
Awesome detailing on all of these ships.  The cockpit interiors look great as does the lighting on that a-wing!