Author Topic: Imperial TIE Phantom-like Starfighter 01.26.11  (Read 11407 times)

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
  • "A comMAHND post for the EMpiah!"
    • Psyclone Design
Imperial TIE Phantom-like Starfighter 01.26.11
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »

I initially called this ship a TIE Phantom in the thread title simply because I thought it would be more recognizable to people. I think I made a mistake by doing so even though I mentioned in the subject intro that this was not a replica of the TIE Phantom and V38 Starfighter as seen in Rebel Assault II : The Hidden Empire by LucasArts. I am now calling it "TIE Phantom-like" to avoid any confusion and to be clear that this is not intended to be a replica but merely bears a resemblance to and is a reworking or re-imagining of that design.

Update 01.26.11

Update 1.24.11

Update 1.21.11      

Some rough detailing on the hull.  Most of the panels are attached using scotch tape at this stage until I'm happy with the look, then I glue them and get it all ready to be primed.

Here is another project that I just recently had a chance to do some more work on and get some photos of.  I'll be posting updates in this thread as I do more.

I've taken many more images as I've been building it but don't want to overload this thread too much so if you would like to see more check out my new Facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002000375885

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:03:45 AM by Psyclone »

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
Re: Imperial TIE Phantom Starfighter
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »
Woow man this is really awesome!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
I haven't seen anything like it. How do you put into words something like this? I can't!

Suffice to say I am going to the front page with this. Daggone the talent I have seen out of you on facebook today is just awe inspiring. You just make what you want to true scale.

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
    • Psyclone Design
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:36:43 PM »
Thanks guys.  The trickiest part is going to be the canopy glass but I have a plan.  I was going to cheap out and make faux side windows when I started but decided to make them real windows so it will be a bit more challenging but I think it will work out better.  Also, I decided to switch out the cockpit and use the snowspeeder type of seating where the pilot and copilot are back to back.  This gave me more room for the figure's legs and heads.  More to come.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:38:28 PM »
That is, absolutely stunning!  Such great work from scratch, it's unbelievable!  Do you have templates for this thing, or was this all free hand?

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
    • Psyclone Design
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:52:38 PM »
That is, absolutely stunning!  Such great work from scratch, it's unbelievable!  Do you have templates for this thing, or was this all free hand?

Thanks.  No, no templates.  I'm amazed how well the math worked out just eyeballing this.  It could have been a disaster at one stage early on if it didn't match up.  It's not 100% but it's close.  I've learned a valuable lesson from this project and that is I do need to make templates and that math rules.

Offline SITHHAPPENS

• I LOVE IT WHEN A CUSTOM COMES TOGETHER!
  • Major
    • sanitariumcustoms.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »
good god all mighty that is sweet and every other great words perfect job would any lego cockpit covers work?

Spookymufu

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »
this is pretty cool, is this EU, or self creation?

Sorry but I never heard of this ship, but it looks really cool

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
    • Psyclone Design
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
this is pretty cool, is this EU, or self creation?

Sorry but I never heard of this ship, but it looks really cool

If you Google TIE Phantom you will see many variations on this ship.  I've incorporated parts I like from several that I saw so this particular Phantom will be somewhat unique but based on the overall design. 

Here is the StarWarsWiki entry:  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Phantom

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
Kids there you go stay in school and get good grades in math so I can get my hands on stuff like this!

And am I correct in that this might be the secret ship from Dark Forces? I remember playing some type of computer games just a few moons ago that I believe had this TIE as the ultimate weapon. I could be wrong though.

Spookymufu

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 05:15:02 PM »
oh okay, I had never seen this ship before.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 05:48:15 PM »
I found the computer game where we were first made aware of the ship

1995 LucasArts video game Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire

I am dating myself a bit here and I remember the game not being too good with the great XWing and Tie Fighter flight sims they had released at the time, but did play it.

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
    • Psyclone Design
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 05:58:08 PM »
I found the computer game where we were first made aware of the ship

1995 LucasArts video game Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire

I am dating myself a bit here and I remember the game not being too good with the great XWing and Tie Fighter flight sims they had released at the time, but did play it.

I'm an old man, 43.  I loved the PC game TIE Fighter and wish they would release an updated version.  Well, maybe not as I would never get anything else done.

Here is the game I'm talking about... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tie_Fighter_game

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »
You ain't so old.

I loved and still have that same Tie Fighter Game. That and the X  Wing games on PC kept me hooked on SW during the "lean years."

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 06:02:53 PM »
damn this is awesome.  I'd love to make one of these for my tie collection.  I'm still trying to figure out how to make a tie defender...

I've seen a few variations of the phantom over the years and everything from kit-bashed models and action fleet scaled toys but I think this might only be the second ever 1:18th version I've ever seen.  I'll be watching this project with a close eye.

You've already got it much more detailed than I could have ever imagined.  Kudos my friend!  

(btw I also LOVED tie fighter and x-wing for pc back in the day... I spent many hours on my computer playing that. I was very upset when vista and 7 came out without the dos emulator built in!)